Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 104309 times)

daveromanjr

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »

As someone who was never active on the trading scene, watched it on USA at an age too young to remember and has only seen stuff from what little is on YouTube, I\'m just happy to be seeing any of it on television again, \"bad\" era or not.
I am in total agreement with you there. Leave it to some folks here to find something wrong with GSN getting $OTC.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:18:18 AM by daveromanjr »

tyshaun1

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
I am in total agreement with you there. Leave it to some folks here to find something wrong with GSN getting $OTC.

The way I\'m seeing it, no one\'s finding anything wrong with GSN adding $ale, more or less it\'s how the era of the show they\'re running was well past its prime. Which it was, IMO. If you look at the PDF description of the show, it actually describes the original format, too.

Tyshaun

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:08:35 AM by tyshaun1 »

JMFabiano

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
PDFs are out for the weeks of 4/1 and 4/8. First episodes to air/first eps of leases  are as follows (existing shows all skip ahead to this point)

Match Game: #517 (MG 75).

PYL: #051 (11/30/83).  

$ale: #1499 (11/15/88)

Super Password: #0490 (8/18/86)

P+ [weekends]: #730 (12/16/81)

PYL has one skip early on, show #056. (12/7/83)

It also appears they will be airing the Bullseye season of O\'Hurley\'s Feud weekdays in the 5pm hour.

Ah, so that answers that. 

On that topic, does anyone know what the highest FM bankroll achieved in this season was?  How about the highest actually won? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
As someone who was never active on the trading scene, watched it on USA at an age too young to remember and has only seen stuff from what little is on YouTube, I\'m just happy to be seeing any of it on television again, \"bad\" era or not.

If I could +1 this,

I mean, the WBMG era has shown players capable of hitting over $100+, regardless of whether they\'re playing for a plateau or just a couple of grand. As much as I would\'ve preferred GSN starting with the \'85 episodes or the start of the WBMG era in \'87, I\'m glad we\'ve got this to see this in any case. It\'s been a long time coming.

PDFs are out for the weeks of 4/1 and 4/8. First episodes to air/first eps of leases  are as follows (existing shows all skip ahead to this point).  

$ale: #1499 (11/15/88)

That\'s the middle of \"True Romance\" week (Episode #1500 was aired in said special week).

aaron sica

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Curious, where do I see the PDF\'s?

Here\'s the link where *I* found them:

http://gameshowfollies.blogspot.com

Not going to mention the blogger\'s name since he seems to get satisfaction when it\'s mentioned around here....

JMFabiano

« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »

If I could +1 this,

I mean, the WBMG era has shown players capable of hitting over $100+, regardless of whether they\'re playing for a plateau or just a couple of grand. As much as I would\'ve preferred GSN starting with the \'85 episodes or the start of the WBMG era in \'87, I\'m glad we\'ve got this to see this in any case. It\'s been a long time coming.

I saw a mention online that this era/season is all there is left of the NBC run...but then again this comes from Wiki. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:56:23 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »

Something else I thought about today...I wonder how many casual game show fans (read: not us), will come across this show and not remember it and enjoy it and wonder why they never saw it..The reason I say that is because for most of the run (with the exception of the premiere up until September \'83), what is my local affiliate now (WGAL in Lancaster) didn\'t clear Sale or anything else in the 10am-11am hour that NBC offered with the exception of above.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:22:43 PM by aaron sica »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
Something else I thought about today...I wonder how many casual game show fans (read: not us), will come across this show and not remember it and enjoy it and wonder why they never saw it..The reason I say that is because for most of the run (with the exception of the premiere up until September \'83), what is my local affiliate now (WGAL in Lancaster) didn\'t clear Sale or anything else in the 10am-11am hour that NBC offered for the entire duration of $ale\'s run, instead offering Hour Magazine and later, Sally Jessy Raphael. I was telling my stepmom about it, but naturally she didn\'t remember it since this area didn\'t have much of it at at all.

It\'s possible it will be new for many viewers.  In my market (Flint/Saginaw/BC) it was somewhat erratic.  I wonder about the topicality of the questions, will they date the program?

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Pyramid80

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Same here!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »
Something else I thought about today...I wonder how many casual game show fans (read: not us), will come across this show and not remember it and enjoy it and wonder why they never saw it..The reason I say that is because for most of the run (with the exception of the premiere up until September \'83), what is my local affiliate now (WGAL in Lancaster) didn\'t clear Sale or anything else in the 10am-11am hour that NBC offered for the entire duration of $ale\'s run, instead offering Hour Magazine and later, Sally Jessy Raphael. I was telling my stepmom about it, but naturally she didn\'t remember it since this area didn\'t have much of it at at all.

It\'s possible it will be new for many viewers.  In my market (Flint/Saginaw/BC) it was somewhat erratic.  I wonder about the topicality of the questions, will they date the program?

I don\'t think that would be much of an issue. Match Game was one of GSN\'s highest-rated shows for years, a good 20-25 years after the material was relevant. I\'d honestly say the same for Dawson\'s Feud.

About 10 years ago, I was listening to one of a local morning radio show, and the DJ talked about how he fondly remembered Sale. The other day, a friend of mine on Twitter mentioned how he saw the promo, and also remembered it somewhat, so there\'s a pretty good chance it might ring a bell for folks my age and up, who either vaguely remember it from NBC, or the USA reruns. I\'m always surprised at how many people really are game show fans, just not on our level.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2013, 01:15:16 PM »
But see, \"buying\" prizes was the crux of the show

...and you still could.

I see your point, but I would be surprised if many champions on that show were thinking ahead of \"win the game\" to \"and I also need X dollars so I can turn down the sailboat instead of the living room set.\"

I\'d also point out that Australia didn\'t seem to have much of a problem with this either.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:19:49 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

Match Game was one of GSN\'s highest-rated shows for years, a good 20-25 years after the material was relevant.

And some of the material is still relevant:

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
\"buying\" prizes was the crux of the show

Champions - especially champions on a multiple-win streak - are probably far more likely to buy stuff knowing that A) all they need to do is win and they\'re golden regardless of what their score ends up being, and B) they\'re already amassing practically risk-free cash and prizes each time they win

You effectively explained why I liked not having endgame shopping. For starters, it was an end segment or end decision rather than an end game. The few times I\'ve watched it, I want to speed past the prize descriptions (especially when a champ is on day 2, and we\'re hearing about the cruise hundreds of dollars away).

If I had my druthers, I\'d probably do the Winner\'s Board, but risking your winnings each day. Perhaps allow a champion two matches if they score $100 or more. But overall, I liked the idea that a win was a win no matter what the amount, because it encouraged players to buy more during the front game. I\'m with Chris in that I don\'t think most people even thought ahead anyway - those that did bought less, and thus, likely made less exciting games out of it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Ian Wallis

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

Did winners or otherwise get the cash they earned?  Did they always/never?

AFAIK, any cash you earned in the main game was yours\' whether you won or lost.  If the champion had bank-rolled $300 and lost the next game, they\'d still get the $300 plus anything else they picked up along the way.

EDIT:   sorry, something weird happened with the quoting...

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:09:57 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2013, 03:14:13 PM »

As far as the \"end game,\" I wish we could see the Kelly/Garagiola episodes again.  I remember the shopping decision to be a very exciting part of the show, unlike the Perry version. 

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.