Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Pilot  (Read 47508 times)

BrandonFG

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »
Well, you'd think it wouldn't bode well for Mike that he lost hosting TPIR to Drew Carey, but maybe since those are two different beasts, he actually auditioned well this time with this format.
I'm not following. Hosts lose gigs to other hosts all the time. CBS wanted a big name, so they went with Drew.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:12:10 PM by chris319 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
(I have zero problems with the actual title, seeing as I've already been referring to it as "the Pyramid" for a solid 25 years.)
Also, this being GSN, there's a good chance that they'll be cheaper than even ol' skinflint Stewart; and calling it, say, The $5,000 [or even $10,000] Pyramid wouldn't look so good when previous versions have gone as high as $100,000. I don't mean this as a criticism; I understand cable budgets and don't expect them to be able to pay out $25K per show. The game is what really counts anyway. I just thought it might explain the choice of title.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
Well, you'd think it wouldn't bode well for Mike that he lost hosting TPIR to Drew Carey, but maybe since those are two different beasts, he actually auditioned well this time with this format.
I'm not following. Hosts lose gigs to other hosts all the time. CBS wanted a big name Dave Price, so but they went with Drew.
Fixed 4 u.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
(I have zero problems with the actual title, seeing as I've already been referring to it as "the Pyramid" for a solid 25 years.)
Also, this being GSN, there's a good chance that they'll be cheaper than even ol' skinflint Stewart; and calling it, say, The $5,000 [or even $10,000] Pyramid wouldn't look so good when previous versions have gone as high as $100,000. I don't mean this as a criticism; I understand cable budgets and don't expect them to be able to pay out $25K per show. The game is what really counts anyway. I just thought it might explain the choice of title.
Now see, I haven't understood this. They have no problem offering up $100k on every episode of Lingo, so why not Pyramid once every 10 weeks?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:24:20 PM by Kevin Prather »

Jay Temple

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »
and $50,000 on every ep of their version of 1 vs. 100
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BrandonFG

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:00:50 AM »
Piggybacking on Mike's point, with them airing the $25/100K versions, I'm thinking one of two things:

a) they felt it would look cheap to brand the new version with a dollar amount, when they're airing 25-year-old episodes offering a top prize of $100,000, or...

b) they don't want to confuse viewers who are wondering why there's two episodes of "The $25,000 Pyramid" or "The $100,000 Pyramid", esp. if they air close to the same time of day, i.e. 1982 $25K at 6, 1985 $100K at 6:30, 2012 $25/100K at 7.

Of course, that could all be fixed by calling it "The New $XX,000 Pyramid", but maybe they don't even wanna confuse themselves. Hell, I'm confusing myself! :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »
There's nothing wrong with calling it "The Pyramid" IMO. What I'm getting at is I don't understand why everyone is assuming that the new Pyramid is gonna be sooooooo much cheaper just because it's GSN. It might wind up being true, but to me, the argument that it will happen just because it's GSN holds zero water.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
It might wind up being true, but to me, the argument that it will happen just because it's GSN holds zero water.
Does A cause B? No. Is there a precedent for A, then B? Oh hell yes.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »
So, about The Pyramid, at least what's set for the pilot.

According to my source, who probably doesn't give a rat's rear about the goings-on at Price, Mike Richards is good. This person says he knows the game very well after extensively studying the old Pyramid games and when hosting, is knowledgeable, friendly and witty. The game set is described as somewhat retro. It looks similar to the old set only with the pyramid being screens. No scaffolding. There are "big monitor looking boxes" that "push back and forth like the old game."

The game is played in two identical halves just like the 80s version. In both cases, the base prize for the Winner's Circle starts is $10,000. Each contestant can add up to $15,000 in their own personal bank to it for a total of $25,000 per visit. Each time a contestant gets 7 out of 7 in the main game, they get $500 cash to keep and add $5,000 to their own Winner's Circle bank. This makes the maximum for a contestant to leave with $53,000.  No bonuses like the 7-11 or Mystery 7. The $500 is this version's bonus. No changes to speak of in the Winner's Circle.

I won't divulge anything specifically, but a couple of possible celebrities for series taping included supporting cast members on popular still-airing network programs. Not so many "Coolio was available"-style names from what I was provided.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:08:05 AM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »
Not so many "Coolio was available"-style names from what I was provided.
It would not break my heart for a second if Coolio...was available.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »
Mikey will be the next Dick Clark -- NOT!!!

Next John Davidson? Definitely.

But keep playing!

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
Chad, that building your WC bank wrinkle is an interesting one. For the first time, a dominating main game player can have more to show for it in winnings. One thing, however, is that the final category will always be a "But Keep Playing" situation.

Argo

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 06:35:42 AM »
Piggybacking on Mike's point, with them airing the $25/100K versions, I'm thinking one of two things:

a) they felt it would look cheap to brand the new version with a dollar amount, when they're airing 25-year-old episodes offering a top prize of $100,000, or...

b) they don't want to confuse viewers who are wondering why there's two episodes of "The $25,000 Pyramid" or "The $100,000 Pyramid", esp. if they air close to the same time of day, i.e. 1982 $25K at 6, 1985 $100K at 6:30, 2012 $25/100K at 7.

Of course, that could all be fixed by calling it "The New $XX,000 Pyramid", but maybe they don't even wanna confuse themselves. Hell, I'm confusing myself! :-P

Well if they called it "The New $XX,000 Pyramid" in the case of the $25,000, would it be "The new-New $25,000 Pyramid". But Indeed I think taking the amount out of it is a good idea. If they don't use the amount in the title, it doesn't have the same ring as with it, just calling it Pyramid, but it's probably safer.

Mark

daveromanjr

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
Mikey will be the next Dick Clark -- NOT!!!

Next John Davidson? Definitely.

But keep playing!
They hold up a sign that says but keep playing. Keep playing, but! When you come out here we need to watch more Davidson episodes.

Based on what I am reading here I can definitely say I have high hopes for it. If the payouts are as Chad described then the name The Pyramid seems very appropriate because of the ability to play for more money in the winner's circle based on how well you do in the main game.

tvwxman

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »
I'm not following. Hosts lose gigs to other hosts all the time. CBS wanted a big name Dave Price, so but they went with Drew.
Fixed 4 u.

This story still makes me smile. It was Dave's to lose...and he lost it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"