Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Couple more Schedule notes  (Read 12302 times)

xavier45

Couple more Schedule notes
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
Buzzerblog posted on their twitter the following:

On Sunday, November 27th, GSN will air a daylong marathon of Family Feud with Richard Dawson.

Then on December 12th, B&W programming returns to overnight once again. GSN will be airing I've Got A Secret and What's My Line? from 3:00am-4:00am. This is the third year in a row that GSN has aired B&W shows in December.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
Then on December 12th, B&W programming returns to overnight once again. GSN will be airing I've Got A Secret and What's My Line? from 3:00am-4:00am. This is the third year in a row that GSN has aired B&W shows in December.
Any word whether this is a temporary seasonal thing, or if it's a more or less permanent schedule change?  Because if it's the latter, then I end up watching a ton more GSN.  As I've said before, my TiVo gets the IGAS show, so more often than not, my TV is sent to GSN when I turn it on the next day.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
As I've said before, my TiVo gets the IGAS show, so more often than not, my TV is sent to GSN when I turn it on the next day.
Hmm. That's an interesting bit of splashover that you would think GSN would consider capitalizing on. That never occurred to me, and I've had a Tivo for...eight years now?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
As I've said before, my TiVo gets the IGAS show, so more often than not, my TV is sent to GSN when I turn it on the next day.
Hmm. That's an interesting bit of splashover that you would think GSN would consider capitalizing on.
I doubt that there are too many people in my boat, plus I'm outside the demographic that they're shooting for anyway.  Just happens to be how it works out in my household.  Also, the impression I'm getting is that this will be another temporary thing anyway.  I can cross my fingers and hope that they'll be shows I don't have -- in a perfect world, they could dust off some of those Winston episodes -- but my fear is it'll be exactly the same ones they showed last year.

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
I doubt that there are too many people in my boat, plus I'm outside the demographic that they're shooting for anyway.  Just happens to be how it works out in my household.  Also, the impression I'm getting is that this will be another temporary thing anyway.  I can cross my fingers and hope that they'll be shows I don't have -- in a perfect world, they could dust off some of those Winston episodes -- but my fear is it'll be exactly the same ones they showed last year.
Maybe some people just can't get enough of those twelve brothers with their newborn baby sister or the four sisters who all play trombone for a Salvation Army band or even Henry being dressed up as Santa (while blindfolded) so he can deliver presents to kids who wrote letters to Santa (asking mainly for things like clothing)
Actually, those might be on Winston episodes - what is the current policy on those?  First it was "no", then it was "okay, but you have to use a modified version of the opening that doesn't mention the sponsor", then I think it went back to "no".

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
Actually, those might be on Winston episodes - what is the current policy on those?  First it was "no", then it was "okay, but you have to use a modified version of the opening that doesn't mention the sponsor", then I think it went back to "no".
Well, GSN usually butchered the openings so as to avoid the sponsor message regardless of whether it was a cigarette company or not.

It was "no" at first, then, still pretty early in the network's run, they made a big deal about them as "lost episodes" and included some nifty vintage anti-smoking PSAs.  Then for a while, it was very quietly "yes" on their overnight schedule.  At some point, it went back to "no", which is where it's been for the last few years.  A story circulates that they pulled the cigarette shows after a single viewer complaint caught the attention of Sony lawyers who decided, to paraphrase an old cigarette slogan, that they'd rather switch than fight.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Would pixilating the offending cigarette logos be too hard to do, or maybe cover-up old sponsors with new ones-(a Shamwow logo on the IGAS desk through the magic of television)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
Would pixilating the offending cigarette logos be too hard to do, or maybe cover-up old sponsors with new ones-(a Shamwow logo on the IGAS desk through the magic of television)
WAY too much bother for miniscule reward.  They've already got hundreds of others that are fine to air, there's no reason to go to that sort of trouble.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:49 PM »
Funny thing is that they've banned cigarette-sponsored episodes back in the 90s, hence the short-lived "Lost Episodes" series with various hosts.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 06:38:14 AM »
The better option would be to give the middle finger to the babies out there crying about tobacco.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:38:28 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »
The better option would be to give the middle finger to the babies out there crying about tobacco.
Because tobacco and smoking hurts nobody!

(My grandfather smoked for 57 of his 67 years before he succumbed to lung cancer in 1989.)

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:06 AM »
Let's just face it... cigarette ads and many of the shows they sponsored are a part of television history (and a rather ugly one at that) that will forever remain in the past.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:55:22 AM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Hmm. That's an interesting bit of splashover that you would think GSN would consider capitalizing on.
Buzzerblog now has dates for the first week (although some of them are off--I've corrected them below).  Based on old PDFs, these were not aired last year (many of them are within a week or two of what aired last year).

12/12:  6/4/61 (WML--last year they showed 5/28/61), 6/3/63 (IGAS--last year they showed 5/20/63)
12/13:  5/8/60 (WML--last year they showed 5/15/60), 2/1/61 (IGAS--last two years they showed 2/15/61)
12/14:  10/4/64 (WML--last year they showed 10/11/64), 10/16/61 (IGAS--looks like this hasn't been shown recently)
12/15:  2/1/66 (WML--looks like this hasn't been shown recently), 10/8/62 (IGAS--last year they showed 9/17/62)
12/16:  6/26/55 (WML--last year they showed 6/19/55), 12/4/61 (IGAS--last year they showed 12/18/61)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:31:19 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »
Because tobacco and smoking hurts nobody!

(My grandfather smoked for 57 of his 67 years before he succumbed to lung cancer in 1989.)
It's America, Mike. Deal with it.

Seriously. When I tried to explain to Mark why MLB is paying any attention at all to the Congress about tobacco laws (hello antitrust exemption!), that's what he told me. We're in America, we can do what we want. He's the mbclev of tobacco. Which is terrible, awful and kills hundreds of thousands of people a year.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Which is terrible, awful and kills hundreds of thousands of people a year.
People choose to smoke, Travis, in case you didn't know.  Excuse the hell out of me for not liking the government sticking their nose in one more place it doesn't belong.  You're the mbclev of snark lately.  Which is really saying something.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:38:05 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13