Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Concentration  (Read 148866 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Concentration
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'normb\' post=\'256557\' date=\'Feb 6 2011, 08:01 PM\']Later versions of Concentration revamped the show with tricky mini-games, which reduced the rebus puzzle solving time.[/quote]You mean like a bonus round? Matching against a clock? The Double Play round? Those aren't tricky, those are end games.

I love the Concentration format, but I also grew up with the Classic version. Having seen an episode of the original format, with just rebus solving and a revolving door of contestantry, I found myself appreciating the "down time" of allowing a game's winner the chance at a grand prize before going back into the fray.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
Hi Norm -

We are glad to have you here and thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

If you click on the link below, it will take you to our archive page with all kinds of neat stuff:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=8

If you click on this link, it will take you to descriptions of both the mechanical board and the computerized board for Classic Concentration. The latter's software was written by Ted's son Corey who wrote the software for the computerized board which ran on computers which are quite primitive and slow by today's standards:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7

Corey says that in the '80s G-T received a bid for a new mechanical board of $150,000, a far cry from the original $10,000 cost you quoted.

Here are two questions for you:

1. What can you tell us about how Concentration was developed before it went on the air? The common wisdom is that it was a collaboration between Buddy Piper and Bob Noah.

2. How did the quiz scandal affect Concentration? I read in your first book that security measures were greatly tightened regarding the material, but how was the Barry & Enright organization affected after NBC bought the formats from them?

Geno: there used to exist a picture of the rear of the board outside Ira Skutch's office. It's not really that interesting. You see the unturned trilons with disjointed puzzle pieces. Each trilon swivels on one of five vertical shafts about 2" in diameter. That's it. Far more fascinating was watching Steve Ryan himself and two stagehands loading and unloading the prize slips (the board between the contestants) from behind as each number is called, and revealed when there is a match. When you think about it, they had to be FAST if a forfeit or take was matched, as they had to load the selected prize as soon as the contestant announced his decision and reveal it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:25:04 AM by chris319 »

Offshored2007

Concentration
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'256593\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 08:19 AM\']Geno: there used to exist a picture of the rear of the board outside Ira Skutch's office. It's not really that interesting. You see the unturned trilons with disjointed puzzle pieces. Each trilon swivels on one of five vertical shafts about 2" in diameter. That's it. Far more fascinating was watching Steve Ryan himself and two stagehands loading and unloading the prize slips (the board between the contestants) from behind as each number is called, and revealed when there is a match. When you think about it, they had to be FAST if a forfeit or take was matched, as they had to load the selected prize as soon as the contestant announced his decision and reveal it.[/quote]
As a kid, I thought the prize boards were magic, especially how fast the stagehands put the correct prizes in the proper slot!

normb

Concentration
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'256593\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 08:19 AM\']Hi Norm -

We are glad to have you here and thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

If you click on the link below, it will take you to our archive page with all kinds of neat stuff:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=8

If you click on this link, it will take you to descriptions of both the mechanical board and the computerized board for Classic Concentration. The latter's software was written by Ted's son Corey who wrote the software for the computerized board which ran on computers which are quite primitive and slow by today's standards:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7

Corey says that in the '80s G-T received a bid for a new mechanical board of $150,000, a far cry from the original $10,000 cost you quoted.

Here are two questions for you:

1. What can you tell us about how Concentration was developed before it went on the air? The common wisdom is that it was a collaboration between Buddy Piper and Bob Noah.

2. How did the quiz scandal affect Concentration? I read in your first book that security measures were greatly tightened regarding the material, but how was the Barry & Enright organization affected after NBC bought the formats from them?

Geno: there used to exist a picture of the rear of the board outside Ira Skutch's office. It's not really that interesting. You see the unturned trilons with disjointed puzzle pieces. Each trilon swivels on one of five vertical shafts about 2" in diameter. That's it. Far more fascinating was watching Steve Ryan himself and two stagehands loading and unloading the prize slips (the board between the contestants) from behind as each number is called, and revealed when there is a match. When you think about it, they had to be FAST if a forfeit or take was matched, as they had to load the selected prize as soon as the contestant announced his decision and reveal it.[/quote]

Way back then, most production outfits tried to adapt familiar kid's games to TV game shows.  We were no different -- the card game, Concentration,  was around a long time.  The matching of 2 cards was and has been popular in teaching exercises that made learning fun. With the very talented Bob Noah at the helm, countless variations were tested.  We knew we had a good game, but the game needed a goal.  Something that was unique and entertaining. That goal was provided by Buddy Piper.  It was the rebus.  That's when I entered the picture.  The end result was good enough to be accepted by NBC and put on the air without  a pilot.

Unfortunately, the debut of Concentration coincided with the quiz scandal. NBC took the production responsibilities away from Barry & Enright,and assigned a temporary network executive producer to insure the honesty of my creativity. From that point on, it became my responsibility to keep it the hot property it remained for so many years.   Fortunately for me, I was not involved in the rigging of the shows.  This was a very sad time for all of us.  Reputations and careers were shattered, and my mentors, the upcoming leader in game show production, Barry & Enright was dissolved.

I'll never forget the day Mark Goodson dropped by Studio 6A and watched me producing an episode of Concentration.  When we paused for a commercial, he shook my hand and said, "How did this show get away  from me?"  Weird, many years later, G&T did get involved with the show.

Neumms

Concentration
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
Mr. Blumenthal, let me add my thanks, for both the wonderfully clever entertainment you gave us and the kick of your participating here. After the fourth or fifth home game to which I, as a lad, lost too many pieces, my dear mother finally had to say "no."  

If you have another moment to respond, I wonder about the end of the NBC run. The game shows on CBS at that point ("Joker's Wild," "New Price Is Right") had a decidedly new, flashier, call it hipper look and feel. Was there thought of updating the presentation of Concentration to try extending the network run? Doing essentially what Goodson did for syndication--a more stylish set and (apologies to the organist) recorded modern music, hopefully not changing the game too much?

joker316

Concentration
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Mr Blumenthal, please allow me to add my thanks for the many wonderful hours of entertainment and memories from Concentration, both playing along and watching. My mom credits Concentration (and Password) for helping teach me reading skills at a very early age. In fact my parents gave me a Concentration home game for Christmas in 1967 (it was the New Ninth Edition) Since then I have aquired all but two editions in my collection, along with the first two puzzle books and your 1975 book on game shows.

Many of my fellow board members have asked most of the  good questions, and I do appreciate the answers. I do have a couple more:

1. Did NBC sort of "force" you to have Ed McMahon host the show for the few months in '69, or was he really considered for a long term run as Hugh Downs' replacement?

2. Was there ever a consideration from NBC to move Concentration to a different time slot, after CBS's game show juggernaut trio debuted in '72? Or was it "Sink or swim gang, you're on your own"?

3. Once a year there was a "Concentration Contest" where the number of matches in regular play were tallied on a scoreboard over the big board. I was wondering if you could elaborate, was it part of the Tournament of Champions or another event altogether?

4. Lastly, when you devised the puzzles, did you use a grid similar to the puzzle board so certain "puzzle parts" appeared on the board in specific spots; or was it just "luck of the draw" (no pun intended) Also did prize placement on the board play a part in layout of the puzzle?

Once again sir, thank you for all your contributions to game shows, and welcome to the board!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

normb

Concentration
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'256607\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 12:03 PM\']Mr. Blumenthal, let me add my thanks, for both the wonderfully clever entertainment you gave us and the kick of your participating here. After the fourth or fifth home game to which I, as a lad, lost too many pieces, my dear mother finally had to say "no."  

If you have another moment to respond, I wonder about the end of the NBC run. The game shows on CBS at that point ("Joker's Wild," "New Price Is Right") had a decidedly new, flashier, call it hipper look and feel. Was there thought of updating the presentation of Concentration to try extending the network run? Doing essentially what Goodson did for syndication--a more stylish set and (apologies to the organist) recorded modern music, hopefully not changing the game too much?[/quote]

As we all  know, all good things must eventually come to an end.  Fifteen years is quite a long run. Not many producers can brag about that.  Guess it was time for a change.  Not just in the scenery or the music.  Thanks to viewers like you, it was fun while it lasted.  Thanks for the memory.

As I said in my book, we generally learned our show was to be cancelled when we heard the stagehands talking about it.  Where they got their info, we never knew.  When we finished our first week of Concentration shows, the stagehands offered their usual longevity prediction for this new show.  They unanimously agreed that it was good enough to last at least 26 weeks. This was great to hear, rarely were they wrong.  They were that time, we stayed on the air for over 750 weeks.

Jimmy Owen

Concentration
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 07:16:03 AM »
Hi Norm!  I greatly enjoyed the original "Concentration."  It was one of the shows that piqued my interest in game shows.  I also have your 1975 book.  Glad you are here!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 11:19:14 AM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'256630\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 08:54 PM\']Mr Blumenthal, please allow me to add my thanks for the many wonderful hours of entertainment and memories from Concentration, both playing along and watching. My mom credits Concentration (and Password) for helping teach me reading skills at a very early age. In fact my parents gave me a Concentration home game for Christmas in 1967 (it was the New Ninth Edition) Since then I have aquired all but two editions in my collection, along with the first two puzzle books and your 1975 book on game shows.

Many of my fellow board members have asked most of the  good questions, and I do appreciate the answers. I do have a couple more:

1. Did NBC sort of "force" you to have Ed McMahon host the show for the few months in '69, or was he really considered for a long term run as Hugh Downs' replacement?

2. Was there ever a consideration from NBC to move Concentration to a different time slot, after CBS's game show juggernaut trio debuted in '72? Or was it "Sink or swim gang, you're on your own"?

3. Once a year there was a "Concentration Contest" where the number of matches in regular play were tallied on a scoreboard over the big board. I was wondering if you could elaborate, was it part of the Tournament of Champions or another event altogether?

4. Lastly, when you devised the puzzles, did you use a grid similar to the puzzle board so certain "puzzle parts" appeared on the board in specific spots; or was it just "luck of the draw" (no pun intended) Also did prize placement on the board play a part in layout of the puzzle?

Once again sir, thank you for all your contributions to game shows, and welcome to the board![/quote]

Thank you for the kind words from you and all of your fellow members that have contacted me.
Before I answer your questions, here are a few of my own.

Who created this web site?  It's a good one.  Glad to help out. Have any of you met me (some say at the Game Show Congress a few years ago).  Are you a part of that group, or the governing body of this one? Are there officers or others I could contact with queries I might have?  Example:  Quite a number of your people have asked the same type of question.  I don't mind answering them. Fan mail of years ago, when we were still on the air, asked the same questions: The mysteries of the game board; the listing of prizes behind each contestant; the Ed MacMahon saga; etc.  I'd like to be able to respond to all who ask the same question, at the same time.  It would  be easier for me.  Sort of an information bulletin board.  Even though most of the answers to these queries are in my latest book, I don't mind expanding  on specifics.  Same thing with all those who bought my book. I'm pleased to hear they enjoy the "inside" or "backstage" stories I tried to tell, while some may not even know it exists.  I'd appreciate it if you'd let them know.

Answers to your questions will follow, I promise.

JamesVipond

Concentration
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »
Norm, I have a list of frequently asked questions about Concentration. I can add the questions you mentioned.

Concentration FAQ
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

normb

Concentration
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'256668\' date=\'Feb 8 2011, 07:16 AM\']Hi Norm!  I greatly enjoyed the original "Concentration."  It was one of the shows that piqued my interest in game shows.  I also have your 1975 book.  Glad you are here![/quote]
Jimmy:
You've obviously got good taste.  Thanks for those nice words.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Mr. Blumenthal, allow me to answer some of your questions here, and others in an e-mail that will be coming your way shortly.

This site is a gathering place for game show fans young and old.  The two of us that run it are myself and Chris Clementson (Chris319 in his messages here).  The two of us are fans just like everyone else here, this isn't a commercial venture.  This particular site has been around since 2002, but a lot of us have been communicating with each other on the internet long before then.  We don't have an official connection to the Game Show Congress, but many of us have attended those events over the years and yes, several of us (myself included) had the chance to meet you at the one you attended with Ruth Horowitz and others.

Some of our members work on game shows today at varying levels, and some have worked on shows in the past, but we rarely get someone of your stature, much less someone so willing to answer questions, and about a show that so many of us remember so fondly.  My apologies if the volley of questions seems a bit overwhelming, but again, this doesn't happen often for us.

I'll send you a personal note in just a moment.  In the meantime, if you have any specific questions about our little operation here, you can contact me directly at the e-mail address ottinger@acd.net
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:21:16 PM by chris319 »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Concentration
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 04:05:45 PM »
Hi Norm -

Thank you for the kind words about our site. As Matt said, we have been around since 2002. We have no connection to the Game Show Congress in which you participated, though many of our members have attended it. We take pride in the mature level of discourse here, and we have no one to thank for that but our members.

Matt is being too modest. He is the emcee of an award-winning College Bowl-style quiz called Quizbusters on WKAR, the PBS station in Lansing, Michigan. Here is a link to the show's site:

http://wkar.org/quizbusters/

I was hired by Howard Felsher in 1978 to be the researcher on one of Mr. Goodson's versions of Password. It was there that I worked with Ted Cooper, whom I adored, and (the late) Ira Skutch who was no stranger to NBC New York. I was involved in the development of the ill-fated Mindreaders, Blockbusters and a pilot called Puzzlers. I continue to dabble in game show development off and on.

We can set up a special area for you on the board where you can post anything and everything you would like about Concentration. It can either be interactive, where members can ask you questions as they do here, or we can make it like a blog where only you can post. Let us know how you would like to go.

normb

Concentration
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 12:50:40 AM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'256630\' date=\'Feb 7 2011, 08:54 PM\']Mr Blumenthal, please allow me to add my thanks for the many wonderful hours of entertainment and memories from Concentration, both playing along and watching. My mom credits Concentration (and Password) for helping teach me reading skills at a very early age. In fact my parents gave me a Concentration home game for Christmas in 1967 (it was the New Ninth Edition) Since then I have aquired all but two editions in my collection, along with the first two puzzle books and your 1975 book on game shows.

Once again sir, thank you for all your contributions to game shows, and welcome to the board![/quote]
Hi Joker -- As I promised, hrere are my responses to your questions:

1.  When Hugh Downs left the show, I chose Bob Clayton to take over.  As in the past, the ratings remained strong whenever he did the show.  As good as they were, network brass insisted I put Ed McMahon in the starring role .  As they put it, "For MARQUEE  value!  We argued, but they won.  --- (All this is explained in greater detail my new book)--- After a while, as I expected, when the ratings sunk, I was called on the carpet. I was too respectful, to say, "I told you so.." We were taped far ahead, so I stopped additional taping and took an extended vacation -- you could say, I actually quit.  About a week later, I received a long distance call from NBC, saying, "All is forgiven, come back home, reinstate Clayton and remove Ed.
2.  Throughout our time on NBC, we appeared in every half hour morning slot, and prime time spots as well.  This too is explained in the book.  We persistently beat anything CBS put against us -- even "The Price is Right," and even reruns of "I Love  Lucy."  No one had done that before. But, the time you mention was different, we were beaten out by a low-rated sitcom from the previous season,  Switching time periods wasn't working any more -- but new network programmers were, and they tried to beat the oposition with programming they could brag about as being their shows -- we left and after a while, so did "their" shows. CBS shows were just better.
3.  Sorry, we  never had a contest like that,  We did similar  things.  Example, for our 5th birthday show, we tried to find all the kids in America who shared that brithday.  Census Bureau give us a rough estimate.  We were as shocked as they were, we heard from about 74% -- almost an impossible audience response.   From a gigantic metal-bound box (almost the size of a small freight train car-- we selected 30 winners and presented those youngsters with the prize hidden in one of the game board squares.  By, the way, as strong as we built that giant container, the floor of that box caved in, and cars and letters flew all over the studio floor.
4.  I printed up a grid lined "plot sheet" for each puzzle.  When I drew in the puzzle, I was very carefull with the placement of each element. Best example would be the number 16. In box 1, at the very bottom and right edge I put the numeral 1.  With out next numbers revealed, it could be an L, a D, etc.  in box 2, the top half of the 6, could be the top of a C. etc,  Same thing with parts of picures.  By revealing parts of them they could look like other things.  This was all carefully planned.  Same thing with the placement of prizes.  Expensive prizes, forfeits and wild cards, that came up early in each game,  revealed very little in the way of clues, etc.  I had to do things like that to sustain a longer contest and more playing time to rack up prizes. Whew!  That was a lot of explanation.  I'm exhausted, and I refrained from going further with the answers to your questions.  That's why I wrote the book.

Matt Ottinger

Concentration
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »
Thanks for some fascinating information, Norm.

And for those of you who haven't bought his book yet, what are you waiting for?

http://www.amazon.com/When-Shows-Ruled-Day...k/dp/B004E10WBS
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.