Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 57111 times)

BillCullen1

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:02 AM »
Does anyone here have the e-mail or phone number you have to contact to get tickets for a taping? I live in NYC and I'd like to see this out of curiosity alone. I'll report back.

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'246076\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 08:58 AM\']Does anyone here have the e-mail or phone number you have to contact to get tickets for a taping? I live in NYC and I'd like to see this out of curiosity alone. I'll report back.[/quote]
They usually display the number on the show but I'm sure you can also go to millionairetv.com.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ten96lt

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'246076\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 07:58 AM\']Does anyone here have the e-mail or phone number you have to contact to get tickets for a taping? I live in NYC and I'd like to see this out of curiosity alone. I'll report back.[/quote]
212-456-1494 or go to millionairetv.com. Source is from their facebook page.

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'246068\' date=\'Aug 17 2010, 06:58 PM\']
The legendary “Millionaire” Hot Seat is gone and both the contestant and host Meredith Vieira will now stand throughout the show, allowing for more personal interaction and uninhibited emotion as the contestant accumulates winnings.
This is the exact same thing Michael Davies did with his most recent Pyramid pilots, claiming it would "bring the show to its feet". Why are shows so concerned with having people stand all the time?! And with the new set you might as well oust Meredith, strap the contestant to a bed, and have the computer host the show.
[/quote]
What is with your obsession with contestants sitting or standing? Does it make that much difference? Contestants on Cullen's TPiR and Fleming's J! sat. When the shows were brought back with Barker and Trebek, that was no longer the case. Both have aired in their current formats for more than 25 years.

Even though the Hot Seat is a little more iconic, making the contestants stand HAS NO EFFECT ON THE GAMEPLAY, unless your show is The Chair. As long as contestants are answering multiple-choice questions en route to winning a million bucks, then the essence of the game remains. It's an odd change to make, but I don't think it'll kill the show. If "Millionaire" survived that awful contrived tournament, then I think it'll do okay with this new change. But guess what? I don't know and neither do you or anyone else on this forum.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

gameshowcrazy

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 11:31:11 AM »
Even though the Hot Seat is a little more iconic, making the contestants stand HAS NO EFFECT ON THE GAMEPLAY, unless your show is The Chair. As long as contestants are answering multiple-choice questions en route to winning a million bucks, then the essence of the game remains. It's an odd change to make, but I don't think it'll kill the show. If "Millionaire" survived that awful contrived tournament, then I think it'll do okay with this new change. But guess what? I don't know and neither do you or anyone else on this forum.
[/quote]

This isn't about the effect on gameplay, but it will give the show a different look and feel, and likely not a good one.

To quote Murphy Brown when a producer decided to "make things more exciting" by having everyone stand while reading copy:  What are all these people doing here standing around, they look like they're waiting for a bus; put the desk back!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'246117\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 08:31 AM\']and likely not a good one.[/quote]
And until you actually see it, you don't know.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'246117\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 11:31 AM\']This isn't about the effect on gameplay, but it will give the show a different look and feel, and likely not a good one.[/quote]
Please read my post again. It's not about the effect on gameplay, because as I said, there isn't any. The different look and feel will not be any different than the examples I gave with the new TPiR and J! in the 70s and 80s. Another example, HSq/H^2 in 2002, had their contestants stand, and it caused an uproar at ATGS. Yet, the show turned out just fine on air.

J.R.

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246113\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 08:38 AM\']What is with your obsession with contestants sitting or standing?[/quote]
Must be that pathological fear of the contestants dropping trou.
-Joe Raygor

NickS

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'246135\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 03:42 PM\']Must be that pathological fear of the contestants dropping trou and using the one-trick ponies of all bad things must be Fremantle and making judgments before the show's actually seen.[/quote]

FTFY.  Emphasis mine.

J.R.

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'246144\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 06:05 PM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'246135\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 03:42 PM\']Must be that pathological fear of the contestants dropping trou and using the one-trick ponies of all bad things must be Fremantle and making judgments before the show's actually seen.[/quote]FTFY.  Emphasis mine.[/quote]
A most excellent correction.

Geez, how OLD/not relevant is that "Crappy game show change = Fremantle's fault!" joke anyway?

/Hey, it's time to DOUBLE THE POINTS!!!!!!111
//That's Numberwang!
///Freakin' Studs
////YOOOOO WIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:14:48 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

tvwxman

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
I've often said that Wheel of Fortune would be better if the contestants sat. That would make the million colors of light more palatable.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Fedya

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 09:34:12 AM »
I thought that if the revival of Pyramid got the green light, the contestants and their celebrity partners should have been in bed together.

(Bob Barker, of course, would not be one of the celebrities.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chrisholland03

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
I hereby pledge to drop trou the next time I'm standing on TV.

Neumms

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'246129\' date=\'Aug 19 2010, 01:35 PM\']Another example, HSq/H^2 in 2002, had their contestants stand, and it caused an uproar at ATGS. Yet, the show turned out just fine on air.[/quote]

If "just fine" means it didn't shatter the glass on your TV, yeah. But it looked pretty goofy to make the contestants stand while the host and panelists all got to sit down. It also strikes me that if your elegantly simple show has as one of its signature elements a "hot seat," you might want to keep it.

On "Wheel," they need to spin the thing, so there's a reason to stand up. On "The New Price Is Right," there was movement across the stage, so there's a reason. On "Jeopardy!" they have something to stand behind.

Maybe they will on "Millionaire," too, but if they're just going to stand on the middle of the stage, I think it's poorer TV. We don't stand around at home. You invite someone in to sit down. (Unless, say, they're going to help cook.) In Minneapolis, one station recently restaged their 6:00 news so the anchors stand there with papers in their hands. The desk they sit behind at 10:00 is in the shot. They're about five feet from it. Looks positively stupid.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2010, 12:50:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'246167\' date=\'Aug 20 2010, 10:09 AM\']I hereby pledge to drop trou the next time I'm standing on TV.[/quote]

Hopefully it doesn't disturb the antenna.
@lambertman