Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Changes  (Read 57299 times)

cyclone45

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'246253\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 07:38 PM\']Somebody earlier in the thread said it pretty well, I thought. They said to the effect of "It sounds like a great game, but not Millionaire." Sure, it's not Classic Millionaire, and that's just gonna have to be accepted. If you divorce this new Millionaire from Classic Millionaire, it'll probably be a great game in its own right.[/quote]

Well played sir. It's kinda like what GSN is doing now?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
[quote name=\'cyclone45\' post=\'246254\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 06:38 PM\']It's kinda like what GSN is doing now?[/quote]Is it?
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »
To me, it seems that Millionaire is doing "over a weekend" (when the old season ends on Friday, and the new season begins on the following Monday) what The Price is Right did after being off the air for nearly 7 years  (A major revamping of the gameplay, but the main gist of the game remained the same -- contestants still try to come close or be exact on prices, just like in the Cullen years, except now they walk around the studio doing different games -- all the while STANDING UP!!!)

Millionaire is still asking multiple-choice questions for various amounts of money (not necessarily in the exact same order) but the goal remains the same -- answer as many questions correctly as you can to reach the chance to win $1M -- all the while STANDING UP!!!

Whether they can pull this over-weekend overhaul or not remains to be seen.  I just wish those in control the best, and hopefully it will ad a spark to the Millionaire franchise that will keep it on the air for a longer run while still being entertaining for both the casual and the hard-core viewers.

gameshowcrazy

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'246257\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 09:59 PM\']To me, it seems that Millionaire is doing "over a weekend" (when the old season ends on Friday, and the new season begins on the following Monday) what The Price is Right did after being off the air for nearly 7 years  (A major revamping of the gameplay, but the main gist of the game remained the same -- contestants still try to come close or be exact on prices, just like in the Cullen years, except now they walk around the studio doing different games -- all the while STANDING UP!!!)

Millionaire is still asking multiple-choice questions for various amounts of money (not necessarily in the exact same order) but the goal remains the same -- answer as many questions correctly as you can to reach the chance to win $1M -- all the while STANDING UP!!!

Whether they can pull this over-weekend overhaul or not remains to be seen.  I just wish those in control the best, and hopefully it will ad a spark to the Millionaire franchise that will keep it on the air for a longer run while still being entertaining for both the casual and the hard-core viewers.[/quote]

It's not as simple as STANDING UP!!!! vs. sitting down.  TPIR, Jeopardy and others have them STANDING UP behind podiums, not just hanging out in the middle of nowhere.  THAT is the issue regarding STANDING UP!!!

However, I have heard there is some sort of table/podium there, so they won't look so ridiculous there in the middle of the studio.  I also heard they still have the riser where the seats were, and now that they are standing on it, it may be a good idea to get rid of that before someone slips off of it.  Unless they gave it a paint job, that riser had certainly seen better days, it was looking pretty bad last year.

NickS

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246215\' date=\'Aug 21 2010, 07:14 AM\']To be fair, this is not a "little" change. This is a major alteration to the show's payout structure, as well as a major cosmetic change to the show wherein the show's most iconic set pieces - the chairs at center stage - will be no more.[/quote]

My opinion - you'd be right about the hot seat going if they still had fastest finger; to me it's not as huge as it's made out to be.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowcrazy\' post=\'246261\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 07:37 PM\']It's not as simple as STANDING UP!!!! vs. sitting down.  TPIR, Jeopardy and others have them STANDING UP behind podiums, not just hanging out in the middle of nowhere.  THAT is the issue regarding STANDING UP!!![/quote]But they aren't just floating out in space; they're actually tethered to a home base, which would sort of negate your thesis.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'246265\' date=\'Aug 22 2010, 11:09 PM\']But they aren't just floating out in space; they're actually tethered to a home base, which would sort of negate your thesis.[/quote]
New this fall...Zero-Gravity Millionaire!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2010, 09:54:02 AM »
Seems to me this is the sort of thing that made MILLIONAIRE so different in the first place: the contestant sat on an uncomfortably high chair in the middle of an arena.  Well, we're ten years out from that beginning, and so many people have seen that chair that it's become comfortable.  Well, having nothing to hang on to, nothing to sit on, nothing to ground yourself...that's exactly what the show needs to keep things nerve-wracking.

Of course, if this runs for another ten years, I'm not sure what they'll do to keep things fresh: have the contestants play in the nude?
czambo@mac.com

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'246268\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 09:54 AM\']have the contestants play in the nude?[/quote]
"I'd like to Double Dip."
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Mr. Armadillo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'246268\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 08:54 AM\']Of course, if this runs for another ten years, I'm not sure what they'll do to keep things fresh: have the contestants play in the nude?[/quote]
No, no...that's how they keep things flesh.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:22:24 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

Offshored2007

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'246271\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 10:22 AM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'246268\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 08:54 AM\']Of course, if this runs for another ten years, I'm not sure what they'll do to keep things fresh: have the contestants play in the nude?[/quote]
No, no...that's how they keep things flesh.
[/quote]
Groan, but well played.

One thing Id like to see - air the show in HD.  Or is that too radical a change.  I'll give the other changes a chance and see how it plays.

Loogaroo

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
I always thought an interesting tweak they could've implemented is to have players set their own safe havens, at the start of the game, and not allow a player to back out until they either miss a question or clear the stack. Thus, if someone knows they could typically make it past the first eight questions with no trouble, they could set their first milestone at $8,000 (or $12,500, or $6,969, or whatever the eighth question would end up being worth) and work from there. And could you imagine someone setting a milestone at $500K, getting there, and having a free shot at the million?
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Millionaire Changes
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246293\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 06:50 PM\']I always thought an interesting tweak they could've implemented is to have players set their own safe havens, at the start of the game, and not allow a player to back out until they either miss a question or clear the stack.[/quote]I've long been an advocate for a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game in that way, but I like the idea of removing the bail out in exchange.
Travis L. Eberle

CJBojangles

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
There's now a trailer up over at BuzzerBlog.

"The money is no longer tied to the difficulty of the question."

davidhammett

Millionaire Changes
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'246293\' date=\'Aug 23 2010, 09:50 PM\']I always thought an interesting tweak they could've implemented is to have players set their own safe havens, at the start of the game, and not allow a player to back out until they either miss a question or clear the stack. Thus, if someone knows they could typically make it past the first eight questions with no trouble, they could set their first milestone at $8,000 (or $12,500, or $6,969, or whatever the eighth question would end up being worth) and work from there. And could you imagine someone setting a milestone at $500K, getting there, and having a free shot at the million?[/quote]
There's a long-running quiz in Germany called "Das Quiz mit Jorg Pilawa" ("The Quiz with Jorg Pilawa (the host)") that seems to have rules similar to this.  Not being fluent in German, I don't know when the players are allowed to/must leave the show, but they definitely set their own safe havens.