Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Price is Right" new announcer auditions  (Read 61752 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Price is Right" new announcer auditions
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'244321\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 07:57 PM\']I'm guessing they would've had a chair and/or desk for him for Items Up for Bids. I'm more curious about the amount of walking Bill would've had to do for games, or if the set design would've been different...[/quote]To have Bill host TPIR'72, I would have hired some pert young women to cart him in a rickshaw contraption to the various game areas.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:18:08 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 02:01:35 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'244327\' date=\'Jul 16 2010, 10:17 PM\']To have Bill host TPIR'72, I would have hired some pert young women[/quote]
So, then, not all that far removed from Barker. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
Was Bob Hilton auditioning for a host or announcer slot? If host - which show?
We didn't audition announcers. As for which run-thrus he emceed, ISTR it was Blockbusters. He may also have done Puzzlers but my memory is dim on that.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'244336\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 09:04 AM\']
Was Bob Hilton auditioning for a host or announcer slot? If host - which show?
We didn't audition announcers. As for which run-thrus he emceed, ISTR it was Blockbusters. He may also have done Puzzlers but my memory is dim on that.
[/quote]
Ahh, I always wondered how Rich Jeffries became a G-T announcer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Thunder

golden-road

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'244346\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 12:13 PM\']A statement from Rich Fields on this matter.[/quote]

And the heads of the majority of Golden-Road.net just went BOOM!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244351\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 11:05 AM\']And the heads of the majority of Golden-Road.net just went BOOM![/quote]
...says the guy whose username is Golden-Road...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
Well....it's still early to hold judgement I guess, but the "variety show within a game show" doesn't sit well with me for some reason. I was liking the groove the show was starting to set in, and I like the way the bands are done on the show now...play your instrument during the IUFB, and your PiR theme rendition when we cut to commercial. It was just enough time to give you a decent on air spot, but not too much to wear out your welcome.

With this whole "improv comic" bit....I dunno. I like the job Jonathan Mangum is doing over at LMAD; he's a good announcer, and doesn't try to take over the show, so maybe it won't be too bad to see on PiR. I just don't want to see the show go by the wayside in lieu of all these new ideas. As long as the people in the office realize that the game comes first, then I don't mind them trying new things every now and then.

Even still, my vote goes to Randy West.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Speedy G

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'244346\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 01:13 PM\']A statement from Rich Fields on this matter.[/quote]
Hmm.  Well, as long as they don't forget that, at the show's core, they have real contestants winning real prizes, they should be fine.

/also, in before ****storm
//also, between when I started this reply and ended it, I pictured various members of the Whose Line cast at the desk and my concern receded
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 02:19:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Rich Fields\']Mike and Jen have told me that they will be holding on-air auditions to fill the announcer position with... an improv comic. Yep, you heard right.[/quote]
... Why? Why not get somebody who will be able to keep from making jokes while reading copy, like Burton Richardson or Randy West?

[quote name=\'Rich Fields\']Mike explained to me that he loves having the "house bands" and "live performers" all the time on TPIR and that he hopes to make it more of a "variety show within a game show". He believes that having a comedian at the announcer's position from now on will enhance this new change in direction.[/quote]
Oh. That's why. Now all that's left is to oust the "Bob Barker Studio" line and the new direction is complete!

I'm not against the idea of "house bands" and "live performers", so long as 1) they're only used occasionally, 2) don't detract from the gameplay, and 3) are actually good. Second, the only time I can think of where the whole "variety show in a game show" thing worked was I've Got A Secret.

Personally, I don't see this direction working, but I will be happy to eat some crow if I'm wrong come September. In the meantime, I wish Rich the best of luck in anything he does from this point forward.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'244353\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 02:12 PM\']Well....it's still early to hold judgement I guess, but the "variety show within a game show" doesn't sit well with me for some reason. I was liking the groove the show was starting to set in, and I like the way the bands are done on the show now...play your instrument during the IUFB, and your PiR theme rendition when we cut to commercial. It was just enough time to give you a decent on air spot, but not too much to wear out your welcome.[/quote]
I'm going to keep an open mind, and not stray down the "ZOMFG!!!1! The sky is falling!!1!" path, but that quote made me shudder. I too like Mangum, but when I read that, I had flashbacks to the "Fried Chicken" showcase. Although I think Drew and a Whose Line cast member would have an excellent rapport, I'd hate to see this show become the inverse of "variety show within a game show".

I'd think that the powers that be have enough sense to keep the comedy in check and still focus on the pricing games, but I then remember the production company behind this show can make some odd decisions just for the sake of making them.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:23:24 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'244353\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 02:12 PM\']Well....it's still early to hold judgement I guess, but the "variety show within a game show" doesn't sit well with me for some reason.[/quote]In my opinion, this.  The program runs 38 minutes as-is.  How can they play everything in the current program and shoehorn in more "variety show" bit-type things?  They already seem to be playing many of the longer games (Hole in One/Ten Chances) less and less...
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

golden-road

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'244352\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 02:08 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244351\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 11:05 AM\']And the heads of the majority of Golden-Road.net just went BOOM![/quote]
[/quote]

That's just a coincidence;) While I'm sad to see Rich go, at least he's the first to leave by not shuffling off this mortal coil.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 04:46:20 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244363\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 03:53 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'244352\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 02:08 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244351\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 11:05 AM\']And the heads of the majority of Golden-Road.net just went BOOM![/quote]
[/quote]

That's just a coincidence;) While I'm sad to see Rich go, at least he's the first to leave by not shuffling off this mortal coil.
[/quote]
I find it to be ironic rather than coincidental. :)  Don Pardo and Johnny Gilbert would like to talk to you. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:52:46 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

golden-road

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'244368\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 03:46 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244363\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 03:53 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'244352\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 02:08 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'244351\' date=\'Jul 17 2010, 11:05 AM\']And the heads of the majority of Golden-Road.net just went BOOM![/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I find it to be ironic rather than coincidental. :)  Don Pardo and Johnny Gilbert would like to talk to you. :)
[/quote]

Actually the name was my being lazy; being on the site, trying to find a name, finally just going with golden-road. As far as Don Pardo and Johnny Gilbert go, I was referring to the current version only.