Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Live  (Read 21939 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN Live
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'178116\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 01:09 PM\']in the GSN library.  [/quote]...and magically, Tom Parks starts to earn residuals.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:39:56 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Allstar87

GSN Live
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'178164\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 07:52 PM\']
Paging Dan Avila!  They could have a field day with him - Joker's Wild, Break the Bank, Greed - plus probably a couple of other goodies in GSN's holdings.  How many shows was he on again? :)
[/quote]

Don't know the exact number, but I know Dan also did Jeopardy & Hollywood Connection. And I'm sure we're all clamoring to see Hollywood Connection again! (Just me? Really?)

He also did $ale of the Century, but I know GSN couldn't access that.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:26:56 PM by Allstar87 »

Matt Ottinger

GSN Live
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'178185\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 11:26 PM\']Don't know the exact number, but I know Dan also did Jeopardy & Hollywood Connection. And I'm sure we're all clamoring to see Hollywood Connection again! (Just me? Really?)[/quote]
I'm wondering whether shows like that and Diamond Head are ones that GSN still has unfettered access to and just chooses not to run because of their perceived worthlessness, or whether they're now tied up in Sony red tape.
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'178185\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 11:26 PM\']He also did $ale of the Century, but I know GSN couldn't access that.[/quote]
And Phyllis did Scrabble, so if they get one, they'll get 'em both!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:56:18 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

GSN Live
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 05:10:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178187\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 10:55 PM\']
I'm wondering whether shows like that and Diamond Head are ones that GSN still has unfettered access to and just chooses not to run because of their perceived worthlessness, or whether they're now tied up in Sony red tape.
[/quote]

I've been lead to believe for a while now that the issues involved there were never related to Sony so much as GSN being far more thrifty than they were in the past. It'd also help to explain why GSN was always jumping seasons with shows like Wheel, Jeopardy, TTD, TJW, etc over the years, and why they never ran anything other than 1982-83 for $25,000 Pyramid through 2001.  Apparently at some point they noticed they could get comparable numbers running the same 150-200 episodes of a show from one given season repeatedly compared to running multiple seasons

If GSN seems half as sincere about, you know, giving a rat's ass about it's programming as they want folks to think they are now this is one thing I'd definitely like to see changed. I'd love to see 80s and 90s Jeopardy, 80s Newlywed Game again - and while Tic Tac Dough and Wheel of Fortune are still fresh, if they continue to run the shows respective 1979-80 and 1994-95 seasons a year or two down the road, through a few cycles - they'll be just as uninteresting as Jeopardy and Newlywed are now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:11:07 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'178194\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 05:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'178187\' date=\'Feb 18 2008, 10:55 PM\']
[/quote]

I've been lead to believe for a while now that the issues involved there were never related to Sony so much as GSN being far more thrifty than they were in the past. It'd also help to explain why GSN was always jumping seasons with shows like Wheel, Jeopardy, TTD, TJW, etc over the years, and why they never ran anything other than 1982-83 for $25,000 Pyramid through 2001.  Apparently at some point they noticed they could get comparable numbers running the same 150-200 episodes of a show from one given season repeatedly compared to running multiple seasons

If GSN seems half as sincere about, you know, giving a rat's ass about it's programming as they want folks to think they are now this is one thing I'd definitely like to see changed. I'd love to see 80s and 90s Jeopardy, 80s Newlywed Game again - and while Tic Tac Dough and Wheel of Fortune are still fresh, if they continue to run the shows respective 1979-80 and 1994-95 seasons a year or two down the road, through a few cycles - they'll be just as uninteresting as Jeopardy and Newlywed are now.
[/quote]

I know, man. I've had enough of this stupid policy. It's gone on for far too long, and enough is enough.

And I don't know how the ratings for $25K Pyramid were like the last time it was on GSN, but I hope they weren't any worse than the ratings for the same 1986-1987 season of the $100K version.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Live
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178201\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 08:01 AM\']I know, man. I've had enough of this stupid policy. It's gone on for far too long, and enough is enough.[/quote]I don't know what the particulars are of why TPTB do what they do, but there's a reason for that.

I suspect that reason is for every message like this, they're getting a thousand times more channel surfers who are flipping over, seeing the Match Game crew, and having a nostalgia kick, no matter what year the show is from.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Live
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 01:36:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'178275\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 11:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178201\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 08:01 AM\']I know, man. I've had enough of this stupid policy. It's gone on for far too long, and enough is enough.[/quote]I don't know what the particulars are of why TPTB do what they do, but there's a reason for that.

I suspect that reason is for every message like this, they're getting a thousand times more channel surfers who are flipping over, seeing the Match Game crew, and having a nostalgia kick, no matter what year the show is from.
[/quote]

QFT, Travis.

There's a lot more to be indignant about in today's world than the channel lineup on GSN and what they show from their lineup.

I may not like it, I may bitch about it, but I'm not going to get anywhere near the level that gameshowlover87 has with my anger.

Hey, gameshowlover, read your local paper. Turn on the TV. Listen to your radio. There's a lot more stupid bullcrap going on in the world that you should care about.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 01:43:20 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178294\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 01:36 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'178275\' date=\'Feb 19 2008, 11:16 PM\']

[/quote]

Hey, gameshowlover, read your local paper. Turn on the TV. Listen to your radio. There's a lot more stupid bullcrap going on in the world that you should care about.
[/quote]

I'd rather watch GSN than watch, listen, and read about today's bullcrap.

dzinkin

GSN Live
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178295\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 01:43 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You'd rather watch it, or you'd rather complain about it?

You're relatively new to our board, so you probably don't know about this yet: GSN is a business, which means that it exists to make money.  When you run a business, you need to do what's likely to make you the most money possible.  If that means leasing only one season of a particular show at any one time because it costs less than getting the whole run at once, that's what GSN is going to do.  If it means showing the same episodes on weekends that run during the week, that's what GSN is going to do.  If it means not having as many classic shows on the schedule as some of us would like, that's what GSN is going to do.

Having more classics, or more episodes of the classics, definitely would be nice.  But as Mr. Eberle pointed out (and as others have pointed out before him), most people don't notice.  Some of us notice, because we're the hardcore fans — but if GSN spends its efforts and money appealing only to us, it won't be around for much longer because there simply aren't enough of us to matter in the grand scheme of things.

If GSN's executives could make more money for the network with more classics, or more episodes of the classic shows they have, they'd do it in a heartbeat, because most of them are fans of the classics themselves.  But it doesn't, so they don't.

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Live
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
In other words, what might be rerun-abused to one viewer, may not be rerun-abused to another viewer.

dzinkin

GSN Live
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178319\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 09:57 AM\']
In other words, what might be rerun-abused to one viewer, may not be rerun-abused to another viewer.
[/quote]
That's one way to put it, yes.  Most of GSN's viewers don't watch enough of the network day in and day out to notice that some of the shows have been rerun, re-rerun, and re-re-rerun.

Mr. Armadillo

GSN Live
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »
I see where they're coming from, but would it kill them to ditch the current season of J! for something from 15-20 years ago?  I don't watch GSN to reminisce about 2002!  :)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN Live
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 01:17:13 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'178295\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 01:43 AM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

And that's exactly why my hope for the world declines every day. Comments like that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

GSN Live
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'178329\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 12:33 PM\']
I see where they're coming from, but would it kill them to ditch the current season of J! for something from 15-20 years ago?  I don't watch GSN to reminisce about 2002!  :)[/quote]
You do realize that what you're saying here is "I completely understand your argument, but they should do what I want them to do anyway, regardless of the fact that it costs them more money"?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

GSN Live
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'178337\' date=\'Feb 20 2008, 01:17 PM\']
And that's exactly why my hope for the world declines every day. Comments like that.
[/quote]
Why not just go to the GSN board and get rid of that hope once and for all? ;-)