Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud Live...  (Read 18393 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud Live...
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 09:33:34 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'115865\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 04:04 AM\']
But this was really that good, and I wanted others to see. I can take them down if you wish.
[/quote]
No. Please don't. I will be very sad if you buckle under to John trying to be a bully in the name of enforcing what is really an idiotic rule.

(I can see flashes being an issue. That is not a reason to ban all photography. If you can take a picture sans-flash, you should be allowed to.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115869\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 09:33 AM\']No. Please don't. I will be very sad if you buckle under to John trying to be a bully in the name of enforcing what is really an idiotic rule.[/quote]
I didn't read that as John being a bully at all.  I read that as John honoring his own personal responsibility by letting us know that photography is, in fact, against their rules.  He didn't even ask politely for you to take them down, he didn't threaten in any way to report it, he just stated the rule.  For all we know, John may think the rule is as idiotic as you do, but as an employee of the operation who's a member of this board, I can easily see why he'd feel a responsibility to at least mention it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:34:02 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Family Feud Live...
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 10:38:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'115870\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 09:33 AM\']
I didn't read that as John being a bully at all.  I read that as John honoring his own personal responsibility by letting us know that photography is, in fact, against their rules.  He didn't even ask politely for you to take them down, he didn't threaten in any way to report it, he just stated the rule. [/quote]
He stated the rule once.  There was no reason to mention it again.  It may have been me, but something about it gave me a bad vibe.  And, before the show started, there were several reports (by staff members, if I'm not mistaken) of this great set, how it's a replica of the Combs set, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Why even bother mentioning it, when 85% of the people on board don't get to see it in person?

And, if it went down as Chris said it did (and I have no reason to doubt him), then he didn't even know that the rules were been broken...meaning someone on staff wasn't doing their job.

For all we know, John may think the rule is as idiotic as you do, but as an employee of the operation who's a member of this board, I can easily see why he'd feel a responsibility to at least mention it.
So why not say it?  I don't think it be career suicide if he mentioned "I don't agree with it, but our rules say..."  To me, all he's doing is touting the company line.  My two cents, and I'm sure people will disagree.

Say, how's that Rubik's Cube pilot coming?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:41:47 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'115871\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 07:38 AM\']
He stated the rule once.  There was no reason to mention it again.  It may have been me, but something about it gave me a bad vibe.
[/quote]
Yeah, this is basically where I stand. I'm probably reading too much into it, but this was the exact vibe I got, especially with the whole "we would appreciate it, thank you" thing on the end. Especially in a thread that had nothing but effusive praise for for show. I also note that when Mark posted his "or what?" post, John absolutely had the opportunity to realize that maybe he's coming off as a bully and clarify his stance, and chose not to. But, anyhow, it's a moot point.

I'm still boggling over those score displays being plasma. I mean, damn. That's bomb-ass.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:56:46 AM by clemon79 »

Matt Ottinger

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'115871\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 10:38 AM\']He stated the rule once.  There was no reason to mention it again.  [/quote]
This is just outrageously wrong of you to say.  Enough so that an apology is in order.  

YOU asked a question.  He responded.  I think that more than qualifies as a "reason to mention it again".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'115871\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 10:38 AM\']
He stated the rule once.  There was no reason to mention it again.
[/quote]
Incorrect.  If he found that someone had broken the rule, it was reasonable for him to assume that a reminder might be in order.  And as Matt points out, it is beyond the pale that you would slam John for answering a question that you asked.

Now, if John were issuing said reminder upon every mention of FF Live, that would be overdoing things, but he hasn't.  The only times I've seen him warn against photography were when he saw the rule had been broken or when someone explicitly asked about it.

It may have been me, but something about it gave me a bad vibe.
If everything that gave you a bad vibe were excluded from this board, the only remaining posts would be Mr. Lemon's gazpacho recipes.  And I'm sure he could easily arrange for those to give you a bad vibe as well. ;-)

And, before the show started, there were several reports (by staff members, if I'm not mistaken) of this great set, how it's a replica of the Combs set, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Why even bother mentioning it, when 85% of the people on board don't get to see it in person?
Uh, how about to encourage people to come and see it?  Not everyone can, of course, but there's nothing wrong with encouraging people who could see it to make the trip.

And, if it went down as Chris said it did (and I have no reason to doubt him), then he didn't even know that the rules were been broken...meaning someone on staff wasn't doing their job.
Please explain how the fact that someone got away with breaking the rule in one particular instance means that the rule shouldn't be enforced at all.

For all we know, John may think the rule is as idiotic as you do, but as an employee of the operation who's a member of this board, I can easily see why he'd feel a responsibility to at least mention it.
So why not say it?  I don't think it be career suicide if he mentioned "I don't agree with it, but our rules say..."  To me, all he's doing is touting the company line.  My two cents, and I'm sure people will disagree.
You don't have any idea (nor do I) how much dissent from the company line Fremantle tolerates, but more to the point, what purpose would it serve for John to say "I don't agree but..."?  The rules are the same either way.  Moreover, anyone who's familiar with the photos John has posted over the years should be able to figure out what he thinks of posting game show photos; as such, I can't imagine that if taking photos were allowed at FF Live, he wouldn't be quick to encourage it.

Gee, an unjustified slam... how novel.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:05:51 AM by dzinkin »

jrjgames

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'115871\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 10:38 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'115870\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 09:33 AM\']
I didn't read that as John being a bully at all.  I read that as John honoring his own personal responsibility by letting us know that photography is, in fact, against their rules.  He didn't even ask politely for you to take them down, he didn't threaten in any way to report it, he just stated the rule. [/quote]
He stated the rule once.  There was no reason to mention it again.  It may have been me, but something about it gave me a bad vibe.  And, before the show started, there were several reports (by staff members, if I'm not mistaken) of this great set, how it's a replica of the Combs set, yadda, yadda, yadda.  Why even bother mentioning it, when 85% of the people on board don't get to see it in person?

[/quote]

I don't beleive I was being a bully.  I beleive my statements regarding the issue were very polite.  There are reasons why we don't allow pictures, reasons that I don't have to explain.

Matt was right, all I did was state our appreciation that no photos be taken.  I don't have to give my editorial about it.

And as usual everyone blows things out of proportion.

As for the Rubik's line, it's that kind of rude behavior that makes people in the industry dislike this board, and trust me, they do.

John

clemon79

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 11:31:20 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'115877\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 08:26 AM\']
There are reasons why we don't allow pictures, reasons that I don't have to explain.
[/quote]
No, you don't, but I'd be curious as to what they are, aside from keeping flashes from popping during the show.
As for the Rubik's line, it's that kind of rude behavior that makes people in the industry dislike this board, and trust me, they do.
Ya know, John, I was all ready to apologize for misinterpreting the intent of your original post.

Then I read this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:35:06 AM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 11:35:38 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'115877\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 11:26 AM\']
I don't beleive I was being a bully.  I beleive my statements regarding the issue were very polite.  There are reasons why we don't allow pictures, reasons that I don't have to explain.
[/quote]
John, you did nothing wrong, at least with that statement.  Most of the people who demand an explanation for the "no pictures" rule know exactly why it's not allowed; they may not agree with it (heck, I don't always agree with it either), but not agreeing with it isn't the same as not understanding it.

Matt was right, all I did was state our appreciation that no photos be taken.  I don't have to give my editorial about it.
You mean Randy West doesn't open TPIR Live with "Welcome to The Price is Right Live!  I think it sucks that my bosses won't let you take pictures, but please don't anyway.  Ernie Q. Dimwit, COME ON DOWN!"

You were doing so well until you deigned to speak for "the industry" as opposed to one guy who's on the periphery of it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:36:22 AM by dzinkin »

jrjgames

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 11:48:51 AM »
You were doing so well until you deigned to speak for "the industry" as opposed to one guy who's on the periphery of it.

"I hear things".

As for this, it went on too long...you guys can discuss it more.

As for the others on here...Feud and Price are great shows, lots of fun and you can win stuff...just come, have fun and do the right thing.  I'm not asking you to agree with our rules, just respect them, you're sure to have a blast and that's all we care about.

John
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:54:02 AM by jrjgames »

cmjb13

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
I want to clarify that my camera did have a flash. You can see by the photos I tried not to take them during gameplay, rather before and after the families played.

I didn't see any signage near registration or the showroom about photography being prohibited. Again, that doesn't mean there wasn't any. I just didn't see any (and I was looking at all the signage around registration & showroom) So I figured it was allowed.

I took John's post a week or two ago regarding pictures for TPIR Live to be only for TPIR Live. If Feud had been mentioned in that thread, I wouldn't have taken any. Period.

I have no problems with the rule. Those who know me, know I meant no disrespect. While I didn't take the post as being bullied, I'm willing to take down the photos out of respect if it makes some uncomfortable.

As a paying consumer of more than $30 (I realize there are comps), I think it's fair to the consumer to state, like TPIR live, the rules clearly.

I think it's fair to say the blame should be split between me not asking about taking photos when I could have v. expressed rules
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:44:22 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'115886\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 09:31 AM\']
As a paying consumer of more than $30 (I realize there are comps), I think it's fair to the consumer to state, like TPIR live, the rules clearly.
[/quote]
If there is a rule against it, you are 100% correct, it should either be posted prominently in the theater, or mentioned clearly in the warmup or during some kind of announcement. I know that in all of the hockey games I go to, the public address announcer has a standard rattle they read off about fifteen minutes prior to the faceoff that states rules like that, and that for events where they are in fact disallowed, they put signs on the doors that specifically say "no cameras."

(I think they ban video cameras. However, my digital still camera takes short video clips, proving what a stupid rule that is from a technology standpoint.)

jrjgames

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'115886\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 12:31 PM\']
I want to clarify that my camera did have a flash. You can see by the photos I tried not to take them during gameplay, rather before and after the families played.

I didn't see any signage near registration or the showroom about photography being prohibited. Again, that doesn't mean there wasn't any. I just didn't see any (and I was looking at all the signage around registration & showroom) So I figured it was allowed.

I took John's post a week or two ago regarding pictures for TPIR Live to be only for TPIR Live. If Feud had been mentioned in that thread, I wouldn't have taken any. Period.

I have no problems with the rule. Those who know me, know I meant no disrespect. While I didn't take the post as being bullied, I'm willing to take down the photos out of respect if it makes some uncomfortable.

I think it's fair to say the blame should be split between me not asking about taking photos when I could have v. expressed rules
[/quote]

Yes we do have a statement before Price and we don't have one for Feud yet.

I appreciate your comments and didn't mean to reprimand you, that wasn't my intention.

The set is awesome and bottom line is I'm glad you had fun.

John

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Family Feud Live...
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »
First off, to John. Please pass this along to whoever is in charge of set construction. Wow does that look neat. That takes me back to the good ol' days of the Feud.

[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'115886\' date=\'Apr 11 2006, 09:31 AM\']
I didn't see any signage near registration or the showroom about photography being prohibited. Again, that doesn't mean there wasn't any. I just didn't see any (and I was looking at all the signage around registration & showroom) So I figured it was allowed.[/quote] And now you know they aren't. I don't see how this got blown into the stratosphere.

If the rules say you can't take pictures, then you can't take pictures. Your entry ticket to the show does not guarantee that you'll be a contestant on stage. It does not guarantee that you'll win a few hundred bucks. This is the same as your seat at a basketball game. It does not give you permission to go out onto the court, even during a play stoppage and run around with the performing mascot. You're paying to watch the show, and that's all.

I would think that with the sets looking so close to the original product that there would be all kinds of advertising ("Come see the Family Feud live!") especially during the appropriate show on the air. Why is that not the case.
Travis L. Eberle

FOXSportsFan

Family Feud Live...
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2006, 01:50:11 PM »
There actually is a loophole into this...of course you have to have the credentials.  Friend of mine (also a co-partner in a little game show we're trying to get on air at his college) was able to take pics for the Price stage showa year or so ago, citing and proving of course, that he works as a reporter/photographer for his college's newspaper in Maryland.  I'm not trying to suggest everyone go up and say they work for the AC Press or the Daily Journal...that'd be wrong.  I'm just saying there are exceptions to every rule.

I've heard good things about the Feud stage show from another friend of mine who went over the weekend.  It's a feeling out process, as I'm told, and the interactive function of the game (where audience members can play along with the game) is a feeling out process for now, as it is a debut show.  I hope to make it out in the next few weeks...but sadly pressing family issues are in effect with my uncle in the hospital and in real bad shape.