Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of Television & Radio  (Read 4281 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Museum of Television & Radio
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 04:25:54 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'May 15 2004, 12:18 PM\'] It's been a long time since I've been to the one here in NYC. The minute I'm able to go back, I'll certainly go there. I have to get past my paranoid mother first, unfortunately. [/quote]
 I understand that for $1,000 you can swap her out for a new mother, or for $3,000 you can remove her from the game completely. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

trainman

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 10:40:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 11:50 AM\'] Two things to remember about the Museum (at least the NYC branch):

-$10 admission (worth paying for)
-Closed on Mondays [/quote]
 The one in Beverly Hills is closed on both Monday and Tuesday (and it has fairly limited hours the other 5 days of the week, only noon to 5:00).  I'm a member, but I haven't made it to the museum as often as I should be going to take advantage.
trainman is a man of trains

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 12:11:15 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 08:59 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'May 11 2004, 08:53 PM\'] The one that "might" be on the list is a Gambit, but I thought the copyright date on it was 1976 and the site says 1975.
 [/quote]
Interesting about Gambit. The episode I saw last summer didn't have closing credits (cut off right before the fee plugs), but the car mentioned was a 1976 Vega. Perhaps there's more than one episode?[/quote]
Better leave some spoiler space just in case anyone wants to see it for themselves...

I have a feeling it's the same episode; now that you mention it, this one had no closing credits as well - I may have gotten the "1976" date from the mention of the car.  (Actually, there were two cars - a Vega and I think a Chevette; I rememebr it wasn't a Vega or an AMC Gremlin, as those were the only two cars I had remembered seeing when watching it in the 1970s.  A couple won one of the cars, and they played a second end game, with the car changed.)
In the episode you saw, did they give away a trip to Monte Carlo in the end game (to the couple that won the car, and $1500 cash, plus trips to Acapulco and Panama) for getting an Ace in the end game?

-- Don

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 10:38:47 AM »
Can anyone here who has seen the 1976 episode of "Wheel" at MTR contribute the differences in the early years? I only recall two from earlier posts, and I'm sure there were more.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 03:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'May 15 2004, 11:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'May 11 2004, 08:59 PM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'May 11 2004, 08:53 PM\'] The one that "might" be on the list is a Gambit, but I thought the copyright date on it was 1976 and the site says 1975.
 [/quote]
Interesting about Gambit. The episode I saw last summer didn't have closing credits (cut off right before the fee plugs), but the car mentioned was a 1976 Vega. Perhaps there's more than one episode?[/quote]
Better leave some spoiler space just in case anyone wants to see it for themselves...

I have a feeling it's the same episode; now that you mention it, this one had no closing credits as well - I may have gotten the "1976" date from the mention of the car.  (Actually, there were two cars - a Vega and I think a Chevette; I rememebr it wasn't a Vega or an AMC Gremlin, as those were the only two cars I had remembered seeing when watching it in the 1970s.  A couple won one of the cars, and they played a second end game, with the car changed.)
In the episode you saw, did they give away a trip to Monte Carlo in the end game (to the couple that won the car, and $1500 cash, plus trips to Acapulco and Panama) for getting an Ace in the end game?

-- Don [/quote]
 That sounds about right. I definitely remember the changing of cars for the second end game, and Monte Carlo sounds extremely familiar. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 03:17:02 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'May 16 2004, 09:38 AM\'] Can anyone here who has seen the 1976 episode of "Wheel" at MTR contribute the differences in the early years? I only recall two from earlier posts, and I'm sure there were more.
 [/quote]
 -Scoring displays looked a bit different (don't remember if they had five or six spaces)
-When the category was displayed, it was done with an orange art card, Helvetica font. The category display was MUCH bigger than it is now
-The show actually opened with an overhead shot of the wheel, with the WoF logo superimposed (like in the early syndie years), but I think that was just for that tournament
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jim

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 11:40:32 PM »
You will definitely enjoy the Museum.  If you are not a researcher, you can just walk in and pay a fee.  You will go to a video monitor and select what shows you want to see.  Give the selections to the clerk, who will direct you to a viewing desk.  IF I MAY RECOMMEND: I didn't see this one in the recent GSN run, but the Collyer TTTT celebrity version with Joan Bennett is quite gunny. The first section deals with a man who imports fake fur coats.  The panel's eyes glaze over when discussing the tariff.  Kitty says "let's not discuss that again," and Orson says, "Why not?"

jdhernandez

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 02:45:44 PM »
Hey Brandon, you're right on for some of the changes! Also, last time I was there, there were TWO 1976 episodes that you could view, but the earlier one has much of the changes. The scoring displays did, indeed, have five digits instead of the six which must have changed some time in 1976, but I think I will have to take another trip to the Museum some time soon (read: later this week when it's open) so I can "research" these episodes. Thanks for checking out the MTR site, guys!
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.