Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 Seconds  (Read 3473 times)

bulldog_06

10 Seconds
« on: February 21, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »
Could anyone tell me either the rules or find me a webpage that has the rules of the former TNN game show, 10 Seconds? You know the game that replaced one of my favorite card game shows, Top Card.

BrandonFG

10 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:03:52 AM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 01:05 AM\']Could anyone tell me either the rules or find me a webpage that has the rules of the former TNN game show, 10 Seconds? You know the game that replaced one of my favorite card game shows, Top Card.
[snapback]110723[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's been about 12 years since I've seen the show, but from what I can remember...

There was a game board with nine categories. Contestant picked category, and host Dan Miller read a clue about a particular song. In Bid-A-Note fashion, the two contestants would go back and forth, to see who could name the song with less seconds. In other words, contestant A would say they could name the song by hearing just :05, contestant B would say :04 seconds, and back and forth until someone decided to make the other name the song.

If they were successful, I THINK they got 10 points for every second. If wrong, I'm guessing the points went to the opponent. Contestant with most points went to bonus round, where they tried to clear the game board (basically name nine songs in :60). If they did so, they won a cash jackpot, which started at $1,500, and went up by $500 every day.

Again, this is a show I haven't seen in 12 years, so my memory is very foggy. Damn alcohol.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

curtking

10 Seconds
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:37:18 AM »
<KAGA>If my memory serves....</KAGA>

There was another feature to the front-game: each player had a display in front of them with the numbers one through ten.  They could only use each of the numbers once -- if they had already won a bid with five seconds, for example, they couldn't use five seconds as a bid again.

Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong...

Ian Wallis

10 Seconds
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:58:56 AM »
Contestant picked category, and host Dan Miller read a clue about a particular song.

The clues usually were usually very general, along the lines of "this Australian woman took this song to No. 1 on the pop chart in 1981".  Not too helpful unless you were somewhat familiar with who did what on the charts.

Being a music (and chart) fan, I kind of enjoyed this show.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

10 Seconds
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:06:29 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:03 AM\'][quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 01:05 AM\']Could anyone tell me either the rules or find me a webpage that has the rules of the former TNN game show, 10 Seconds? You know the game that replaced one of my favorite card game shows, Top Card.
[/quote]
It's been about 12 years since I've seen the show, but from what I can remember...

There was a game board with nine categories. Contestant picked category, and host Dan Miller read a clue about a particular song. In Bid-A-Note fashion, the two contestants would go back and forth, to see who could name the song with less seconds. In other words, contestant A would say they could name the song by hearing just :05, contestant B would say :04 seconds, and back and forth until someone decided to make the other name the song.

If they were successful, I THINK they got 10 points for every second. If wrong, I'm guessing the points went to the opponent.
[snapback]110726[/snapback]
[/quote]

As I recall, only one bid was done for each category, and the other player had to deicde whether to name the tune or force their opponent to name it. Each category had a point value behind it. If the contestant who was forced to name the tune guessed it right, they got the points, if not, the opponent did IIRC.

Round two had larger point values behind the categories. At the end of round two, there was a catchup round where each player had to name three songs from snippets. Naming one was worth 100 points, two worth 200 points, and all three worth 400 points. This round was only played if there was less than 400 points between the two players at the end of round two.

uncamark

10 Seconds
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 12:38:26 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 08:06 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:03 AM\'][quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 01:05 AM\']Could anyone tell me either the rules or find me a webpage that has the rules of the former TNN game show, 10 Seconds? You know the game that replaced one of my favorite card game shows, Top Card.
[/quote]

If they were successful, I THINK they got 10 points for every second. If wrong, I'm guessing the points went to the opponent.
[/quote]

As I recall, only one bid was done for each category, and the other player had to decide whether to name the tune or force their opponent to name it. Each category had a point value behind it. If the contestant who was forced to name the tune guessed it right, they got the points, if not, the opponent did IIRC.

Round two had larger point values behind the categories. At the end of round two, there was a catchup round where each player had to name three songs from snippets. Naming one was worth 100 points, two worth 200 points, and all three worth 400 points. This round was only played if there was less than 400 points between the two players at the end of round two.
[snapback]110734[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's it.  And once a time length was used by that contestant in the round, they could not use it again--in other words, once a one-second challenge was made by a player, they could not use that length of time to challenge them in a subsequent song in the round.

Actually, I liked the show, even if it did owe a debt to Bid-a-Note.  It was a way of doing a musical identification game with the original recordings instead of a live band and wasn't a trivia quiz.  It could easily be done without a country music emphasis and whoever owns the rights to it now (I'm assuming Viacom) might want to try the format out in a foreign market and see if it could fly.

Don Howard

10 Seconds
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 02:03 AM\']Contestant with most points went to bonus round, where they tried to clear the game board (basically name nine songs in :60). If they did so, they won a cash jackpot, which started at $1,500, and went up by $500 every day.
[/quote]
On occasion, our host Dan Miller would sing for us.
Many of the game details have been covered, but just one correction about the end game. The jackpot began at $1000 and increased by $500 until hit.
10 Seconds did feature returning champions, but once someone broke the jackpot, they were gone. If the jackpot wasn't won, the player would receive prizes [the more songs identified--the greater the prize package]. Sometimes the prize value was greater than the cash award they were playing for.
On the first episode of 10 Seconds, the contestant designated as the champion was the last person who was champion of the program it replaced, Top Card also starring Dan Miller assisted by the heavenly Paige Brown.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:53:06 PM by Don Howard »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
10 Seconds
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:31:58 AM »
From what I recall, it wasn't so much a Bid-a-Note as it was "you cut the pie, I choose the slice". Contestant A would bid 5 seconds (and the light would go out on their desk) and the other contestant would decide who would name the song. Contestant "A" could not bid 5 seconds for the rest of the game. The third round had a medley of songs to name at 100 a pop.
Travis L. Eberle

ChuckNet

10 Seconds
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 07:36:12 PM »
Many of the game details have been covered, but just one correction about the end game. The jackpot began at $1000 and increased by $500 until hit.

It originally started at $2,500, since that's what the champ was playing for on the premiere, but was later reduced to $1K...guess they had to scale back the budget after a coupla wks or so, LOL.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")