Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Narz 'Concentration'  (Read 13660 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »
Y'all have omitted the involvement of syndicator Jim Victory. He had worked for NBC at one time and acquired an interest in the show when it was cancelled by NBC. He then signed up Goodson to produce it and a bunch of stations to air it, and voila! It was Jim Victory who gave the project impetus. I don't know what share of Concentration Victory owns/owned, or if he sold his interest back to NBC.

As stated earlier, the show was done on a slim budget, thus there was no budget for a model. Apparently the game board controller was in bad enough shape that they had a new one built. And you'll notice the music was by Edd Kalehoff, not by Edd Kalehoff for Score Productions, so there was no orchestra a la TPIR. It sounds like Kalehoff by himself with his MOOG synthesizer and with bass guitar and percussion overdubbed later. Does that sound about right, Mr. Mackey?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 08:18:22 PM by chris319 »

zachhoran

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 08:50:16 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 18 2006, 08:11 PM\']Y'all have omitted the involvement of syndicator Jim Victory. He had worked for NBC at one time and acquired an interest in the show when it was cancelled by NBC. He then signed up Goodson to produce it and a bunch of stations to air it, and voila! It was Jim Victory who gave the project impetus. I don't know what share of Concentration Victory owns/owned, or if he sold his interest back to NBC.

[snapback]110494[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't Victory Television get mentioned on full credit rolls as the distributor of Classic Concentration?

davemackey

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 09:08:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 18 2006, 09:11 PM\']It sounds like Kalehoff by himself with his MOOG synthesizer and with bass guitar and percussion overdubbed later. Does that sound about right, Mr. Mackey?
[/quote]
It might have been a little combo, but Kalehoff does play guitar as well and may have done his own guitar/bass overdubbing. So it could have been a one-man band. The percussion sounds electronic, when it's there at all.

gwarman2005

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 01:13:40 AM »
No one mentioned that this was the only version to let the players choose three numbers at a time.  I would assume to help speed the game up.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 01:30:59 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 18 2006, 06:08 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 18 2006, 09:11 PM\']It sounds like Kalehoff by himself with his MOOG synthesizer and with bass guitar and percussion overdubbed later. Does that sound about right, Mr. Mackey?
[/quote]
It might have been a little combo, but Kalehoff does play guitar as well and may have done his own guitar/bass overdubbing. So it could have been a one-man band. The percussion sounds electronic, when it's there at all.
[snapback]110500[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm enough of a Kalehoff fan that I got the Robert Moog documentary DVD which shows Maestro's Schaefer Beer TV spot. It sounds like he used the same MOOG on the Schaefer spot as on Concentration -- in fact, save for the vocals, you think you're listening to a G-T game show theme when you watch it. The Schaefer spot contains some snare hits a la Concentration, but instead of bass guitar we hear another Kalehoff trademark: the glockenspiel, an instrument which figures prominently in the TPIR and Tattletales music.

Here is a little snippet I found:

3 January 1969, New York Times, pg. 44:
The Schaefer beer boys, pleased as punch with the result of their 1968 talent hunt, are going to give it a go again this year. What they’ll be looking for once more will be musical groups or soloists to belt out an old favorite, “Schaefer Is the One Beer to Have When You’re Having More Than One,” in all of their radio advertising in their 14-state marketing area.
(...)
Then, by spring, B.B.D. & O. will have the winners, and their specially arranged renditions of the Schaefer jingle will flood the airwaves.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:51:50 PM by chris319 »

Ian Wallis

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »
No one mentioned that this was the only version to let the players choose three numbers at a time. I would assume to help speed the game up.

In the full episode that exists among traders, that was just for the first game in that particular show.  I believe that episode is from the last syndie season, by which time they had started to play with the format a bit.  Every once in a while they'd have a three-call game.  In fact, in the previous season, they'd have a special box on the board that stated "Bonus Number".  If a contestant matched that, they could call three numbers on the next turn.

I remember watching this show almost every day - it was on five days a week at 1 p.m. in my area, so I could see it every day at lunch before I headed back to school.  When the show first went on the air, it was straight two numbers called for every turn - and I'm pretty sure in the first couple of seasons there were no Head Starts.  They'd play two games and if there was time for a third, they'd play the Money Game, where contestants had to match amounts of foreign currency.

Oh, and I love the theme too!  The main theme is out there, and I think one or two cues - but put me on the list of people who'd love to have more!!  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 01:58:36 AM »
One of the Head Start music cues can be heard on Jim Shea's site as cue #72.

Clay Zambo

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 18 2006, 09:08 PM\']It might have been a little combo, but Kalehoff does play guitar as well and may have done his own guitar/bass overdubbing. So it could have been a one-man band. The percussion sounds electronic, when it's there at all.
[/quote]

I've got a couple of cues that include trumpet (or, probably, flugelhorn) and flute.

What often struck me about the Concentration music was that it was so mellow, even a little melancholic, uncharacteristically so for GS music.
czambo@mac.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 11:59:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 09:29 AM\']I've got a couple of cues that include trumpet (or, probably, flugelhorn) and flute.

What often struck me about the Concentration music was that it was so mellow, even a little melancholic, uncharacteristically so for GS music.
[snapback]110627[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you need brackets there, sir.

Which reminds me--almost time to start filling out my NCAA brackets.  :-D

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »
As recently as a few years ago, the electronic "Concentration" Tiger put out had a copyright notice with NBC's name on it and "Licensed by Victory Television" underneath.  However, it seems to me that a recent slot just had the NBC copyright.

This seems to be similar to Lorne Michaels' relationship with NBC regarding "Saturday Night Live"--the network owns the program and the title, but Michaels has the rights to market and license back episodes and products containing characters from the show, whether past or present and make most of the profits (after giving a cut to the network, of course).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »
Jim Victory seems to have more involvement in the front end (first-run production and licensing). I think he has a more generous deal than Lorne Michaels considering that Concentration was dead meat as far as NBC was concerned when he made his deal.

Clay Zambo

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 01:47:09 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 11:59 AM\']I think you need brackets there, sir.

Which reminds me--almost time to start filling out my NCAA brackets.  :-D
[/quote]

Sorry, I was all out.

(Which is, of course, exactly how I played during my NCAA days.)
czambo@mac.com

VenusAndNarz

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 11:25:17 PM »
I'm a novice here.  Not sure what I'm doing, but here goes...

I was a contestant on the syndicated/Narz version of Concentration.  We filmed in December 1976 in LA, but it wasn’t aired until many months later.  I never saw it.  Any chance andyone could direct me as to where I might be able to find or see the episode?  (I won a ton of prizes, but missed out on the Ford Fiesta twice…)

tvwxman

Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 04:30:17 AM »
[quote name=\'VenusAndNarz\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 11:25 PM\']I'm a novice here.  Not sure what I'm doing, but here goes...

I was a contestant on the syndicated/Narz version of Concentration.  We filmed in December 1976 in LA, but it wasn’t aired until many months later.  I never saw it.  Any chance andyone could direct me as to where I might be able to find or see the episode?  (I won a ton of prizes, but missed out on the Ford Fiesta twice…)
[snapback]110943[/snapback]
[/quote]

Like your name!

Welcome, and sorry.....virtually the entire collection of Concentration is missing in action...only one episode from 1978 is in the trading circuit...which is a shame...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Narz 'Concentration'
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
[quote name=\'VenusAndNarz\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 09:25 PM\']I'm a novice here.  Not sure what I'm doing, but here goes...

I was a contestant on the syndicated/Narz version of Concentration. ...Any chance andyone could direct me as to where I might be able to find or see the episode?  (I won a ton of prizes, but missed out on the Ford Fiesta twice…)
[snapback]110943[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm sure you'll fit in just fine, and sadly Matt covered the bad news. The good news is that you didn't win the Ford Fiesta. My mom used to have one of those, and trust me, you really did come out a winner. :) Were most of the prizes that you won the fee plug stuff like small appliances and product placement stuff, or the bigger things like furniture and so on?
Travis L. Eberle