Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to pitch a game show  (Read 9735 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
How to pitch a game show
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 02:04:01 PM »
I'm still old-school enough to think that the way you get somebody interested is by coming in with a simple mock-up of the game and playing it right there in front of them. Maybe even WITH them.
Just out of curiosity, who among us has ever pitched a game show, either using the above technique or some other, or taken a game show pitch? What were the circumstances?

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
How to pitch a game show
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 02:57:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 03:04 PM\']Just out of curiosity, who among us has ever pitched a game show, either using the above technique or some other, or taken a game show pitch? What were the circumstances?
[snapback]110640[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not yet. However, like rebelwrest, I am attempting to pitch an idea to our local college (for those of us Michiganders here, Delta College). Unlike rebel, mine is original. I am waiting to pitch the idea until I have all of the specifics (i.e. set design, payouts, nitpicky stuff.) set and decided on.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:33 PM\']France/French had me gaping at the TV the very first time I saw it, saying "THIS is what everyone has been creaming themselves over? THIS?"
[/quote]

And I thought I was the only one who thought that.
*Indecipherable screaming*

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
How to pitch a game show
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 02:04 PM\']Just out of curiosity, who among us has ever pitched a game show, either using the above technique or some other, or taken a game show pitch? What were the circumstances?
[/quote]
I did, as a senior project.  Taped a pilot for the local educational TV station, with the station manager there.  Decent enough, and we taped 6 episodes...and that was the end of it, as I choose to cease production (I was getting no additional benefit from it; the only benefit I did get was a front page mention in the Sunday paper).

Would have continued production if the school would have give a damn.  But they didn't.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
How to pitch a game show
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:50 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 02:04 PM\']Just out of curiosity, who among us has ever pitched a game show, either using the above technique or some other, or taken a game show pitch? What were the circumstances?
[/quote]
I did, as a senior project. <Snip>
[snapback]110657[/snapback]
[/quote]

High School or College?
*Indecipherable screaming*

Ian Wallis

How to pitch a game show
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 04:10:15 PM »
France/French had me gaping at the TV the very first time I saw it, saying "THIS is what everyone has been creaming themselves over? THIS?"

And I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I saw it when it was originally broadcast, and I thought it was quite unusual at the time.  However, in seeing the rebroadcast on GSN years later, I agree - it didn't seem as "wild" in the rerun as it did originally and I didn't think it was that big a deal.  Oh well...I guess things are sometimes different in our memories than they were in reality!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:11:18 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

How to pitch a game show
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 04:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLclark86\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 03:52 PM\']High School or College?
[/quote]
High School.  I again had the opportunity last year to do some work again--this time as a college sophomore, and be the leader of the high school video club.  Unfortunately, no one from the school would sponsor it.

Screw them again...not to mention that I filed a legitimate complaint about unsafe gym equipment with the state athletic union--and subsequently found myself barred from officiating there again.
--Mark

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
How to pitch a game show
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 01:31 PM\']Screw them again...not to mention that I filed a legitimate complaint about unsafe gym equipment with the state athletic union--and subsequently found myself barred from officiating there again.
[snapback]110671[/snapback]
[/quote]
Imagine that. I believe the expression is "don't sh** where you eat." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

How to pitch a game show
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 04:53:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:33 PM\']Imagine that. I believe the expression is "don't sh** where you eat." :)
[/quote]
You just can't get away from that gazpacho, can you?
--Mark

FOXSportsFan

How to pitch a game show
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 05:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:53 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 04:33 PM\']Imagine that. I believe the expression is "don't sh** where you eat." :)
[/quote]
You just can't get away from that gazpacho, can you?
[snapback]110677[/snapback]
[/quote]

Especially that McDonald's Gazpacho to go...ugh.

trainman

How to pitch a game show
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 11:16:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 11:04 AM\']Just out of curiosity, who among us has ever pitched a game show, either using the above technique or some other, or taken a game show pitch? What were the circumstances?
[snapback]110640[/snapback]
[/quote]

I pitched a game show, but only as an academic exercise -- literally, as part of my Program Planning and Programming class at Northwestern.  The class had a pitch session with Garry Marshall, for some reason, in attendance.  I think we only had 2 or 3 minutes each, so there was no time to actually play the game; all I could do was describe it.  I had the scoring in points, and the one suggestion Garry made was to use dollars instead, or maybe it was the other way around.  The show was close enough to "The $25,000 Pyramid" that I probably would have been sued by Bob Stewart if it had gone beyond the classroom walls.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:16:58 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains