Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bert's Family Feud  (Read 12246 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 05:22:54 PM »
They had me at the moving face-off podium.

Well, it looks like yet another Australian game show has totally outdone its American counterpart. Even on the first episode, Bert was better than Richard has gotten in 4 years.

Concerning the graphics, I agree with mitchgroff. A graphics update is needed on our version, especially if you tune in mid-round. It was also nice to see the player scoreboards on the big board again. Maybe it was just me, but the neon contestant backdrops reminded me of Sex Wars.

All in all, a great show. I wish Bert and the crew a long succssful run.

Oh, and Jason, Australia is kicking our butts in every show we put out, despite the fact that our shows have longevity. For the past few years, they have shown us how we can make our shows better, and how we should revive them. That's my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:27:40 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

weaklink75

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 06:38:20 PM »
I have to agree about the split screen graphics effect...And they put the question on the screen a couple of times during the round as well, which is good for people skipping around channels.

But that $100K isn't going to go often...I mean, on other foreign versions of the Feud, they have a bonus if a family gets all 5 #1's between both players in the bonus (The UK version had a car for all 5 answers for example--and personally I think US Feud would be better if they did something like that, maybe like 20K for 200, but 50K for 200 and all 5 #1's), so it's difficult enough to do between two players...but getting all 5 in the first part? What I'd like to know is what the amounts are for 2, 3, or 4 #1's....If it's something like 5K for 0-10K for 1-15K for 2-20K for 3-25K for 4-100K for 5, you're not going to get really large totals as you what, average 2 or 3 #1's by the first person or so? 5K-10K-20K-30K-50K-100K would be OK I think, as it rewards a rarer occurance.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:39:46 PM by weaklink75 »

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 06:42:59 PM »
Not bad at all!  Thanks for sharing!
--Matt

pownster

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 08:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 06:38 PM\']I
But that $100K isn't going to go often...I mean, on other foreign versions of the Feud, they have a bonus if a family gets all 5 #1's between both players in the bonus (The UK version had a car for all 5 answers for example--and personally I think US Feud would be better if they did something like that, maybe like 20K for 200, but 50K for 200 and all 5 #1's), so it's difficult enough to do between two players...but getting all 5 in the first part? What I'd like to know is what the amounts are for 2, 3, or 4 #1's....If it's something like 5K for 0-10K for 1-15K for 2-20K for 3-25K for 4-100K for 5, you're not going to get really large totals as you what, average 2 or 3 #1's by the first person or so? 5K-10K-20K-30K-50K-100K would be OK I think, as it rewards a rarer occurance.
[snapback]110166[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd need to check the exact monetary combination - but the last set quoted sounds about the right combinations. And yes - the big cash amounts are hard to collect on - most Aussie game shows work that way....I mean, our TV networks are small compared to those in the States - and shows like "Feud" will only attract audiences of 1 million viewers maximum - to remain commercially viable, you wouldn't want the show to give away the big amounts too often.

Mind you, saying that, another different between our version and the American/British ones are that the families are allowed to return the next night to defend their title - and only leave once they're knocked off. As such, it gives time for families to build up a sizable prize total. Previous versions of the show here were lucky to give away $10,000 in cash & prizes on any one night - so Bert's version is a real step up from what we're used to.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 09:00:55 PM by pownster »
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

BrandonFG

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 09:54:17 PM »
All I can say is "Wow"...and not a Chris Lemon "Wow"...this version kicks the US version's ass, which is sad considering that was the first episode, and ours has been on for almost 7 years (current version of course).

I remember there were complaints when Louie's version debuted, about how the set and new theme were too modern, and Feud was a folksy "Hatfield v. McCoy" type show, which is true. However, the Aussies found a way to modernize the show and did an excellent job at it. The set was flashy without being over-the-top, the audience was excited without being annoying, and I loved what I heard from the theme song. And like Lemon said, even though the show offers a buttload of money (gosh!), they make it difficult to win. Australia, can we either kidnap or clone some of your producers? :-P

BTW, the neon backdrops are VERY reminiscent of Sex Wars.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

FOXSportsFan

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 11:21:17 PM »
Love the look and feel of the show...it's truly a party atmosphere with Bert serving as your genial host.  He is a little stiff, but it's his first show.  I mean for goodness sakes, Karn still acts like he's being fed lines via cue cards and all.

Question: Any reason why namely on the Aussie and British versions that the host usually refrains from turning and calling to the board?

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 11:22:38 PM »
After watching the clip, I must say I rather like Bert Newton.  He's a little stiff certainly, but I have my suspicsions he'll even out.  And he has at least one thing neither Louie nor Richard have: charm.  Darnit, I can't help liking the guy.  I can see why the Aussies do, too.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 11:45:34 PM »
Mind you, saying that, another different between our version and the American/British ones are that the families are allowed to return the next night to defend their title

Nitpick alert, but this was the case on the 70s daytime version, 80s daytime version and was recently restored on the current run.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

FOXSportsFan

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 11:54:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:22 PM\']After watching the clip, I must say I rather like Bert Newton.   Darnit, I can't help liking the guy.
[snapback]110181[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not that there's anything wrong with that...lol.

Brakus

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 02:18:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:22 PM\']After watching the clip, I must say I rather like Bert Newton.  He's a little stiff certainly, but I have my suspicsions he'll even out.  And he has at least one thing neither Louie nor Richard have: charm.  Darnit, I can't help liking the guy.  I can see why the Aussies do, too.
[snapback]110181[/snapback]
[/quote]

You guys are weird.

I thought Bert Newton was very stiff, yet too laid back. No real excitement. The set does look very nice though for a game show set.

And also I think Richard Karn's a good host for Feud. The other options are either too old (Dawson) or dead (Combs). He's a heck of a lot better than Louie Anderson, though.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 02:29:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:18 PM\']I thought Bert Newton was very stiff, yet too laid back.
[/quote]
And I thought the show sucked, yet was good. Do you realize how little sense you're making?
And also I think Richard Karn's a good host for Feud. The other options are either too old (Dawson) or dead (Combs).
And there's a law that says only those who have hosted Feud before are qualified to do it today?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
[/quote]

You guys are weird.

I thought Bert Newton was very stiff, yet too laid back. No real excitement. The set does look very nice though for a game show set.

And also I think Richard Karn's a good host for Feud. The other options are either too old (Dawson) or dead (Combs). He's a heck of a lot better than Louie Anderson, though.
[snapback]110200[/snapback]
[/quote]

The first round did seem to move a little slow, but it was the first episode. Give him time.

You must be kidding about Karn. He is no better than Louie. At first, he seemed like he had the potential to come into his own, then he went nowhere fast. And all it took was an over-accentuated phrase and inept audience cheers.
I'm hoping that the new season coms with a new host, but my prayers probably won't get answered.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

remlap

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 07:33:37 AM »
Thank you for the clip.

I liked the joke he said at the begining about Nine Losing thier balls, I havent seen Nine now for about 4 months so when did they rebrand?

Thanks

pownster

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 07:46:46 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Feb 15 2006, 07:33 AM\']Thank you for the clip.

I liked the joke he said at the begining about Nine Losing thier balls, I havent seen Nine now for about 4 months so when did they rebrand?

Thanks
[snapback]110209[/snapback]
[/quote]

In answer to that question - only a matter of two weeks ago.

And just to give you a taste of the bonus round - I include tonight's thrilling attempt by the Grimes family to take out $25,000. I hope you enjoy it!

Australian Game Show Home Page - Video Moments
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

zachhoran

Bert's Family Feud
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Feb 14 2006, 11:45 PM\']
Mind you, saying that, another different between our version and the American/British ones are that the families are allowed to return the next night to defend their title

Nitpick alert, but this was the case on the 70s daytime version, 80s daytime version and was recently restored on the current run.

[snapback]110183[/snapback]
[/quote]

Returning champions were also a part of the 1988-95 syndicated run(save for part of the 1994-95 season, when the second half of the hour long show saw the winner of the first half play against 80% of a family team from the original Dawson Feud.