Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VCR Reminder  (Read 9085 times)

DaneFromKansas

VCR Reminder
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2003, 08:21:59 PM »
This is the first time I have seen the Hess episode.  I must say I'm shocked, both that a contestant could get that angry and that it got by CBS, USA, and now GSN.  Amazing. Any other contestants get this angry on this or any other show?  I recall the guy at the end of an early \"Friend or Foe\" episode that was bleeped 13 times.  Any others come to anyone else's mind?

dmota104

VCR Reminder
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 06:43:47 AM »
Any other contestants get this angry on this or any other show?

Never saw the first episode of \"The Chamber\" on Fox.  But, reportedly, a contestant inside the chamber said a few dirty words.

Ian Wallis

VCR Reminder
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2003, 08:55:13 AM »
Something else about Wednesday's block of episodes:  It's been mentioned that the first episode syndicated by Republic Pictures in 1987 was the Sam/Susan/Janie episode (no. 369, originally aired 2/22/85).  The last episode in this package was Jacklynn/Mark/Matt (ep. 499, originally aired 8/23/85).  For those of you keeping track of such things, one episode from Wednesday - the Dale/Norma/Bob episode with 11 whammies - was NOT included in the syndication package for some reason.  Every other episode between (and including) 369 and 499 was.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

AmazingErikZ

VCR Reminder
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 01:54:35 PM »
I finally saw the \"Jim Hess\" ep. Some game that was! I see why nobody liked Sam after his \"evil grin\" in Round One. The audience wanted him to lose.

I have one question about this past Wed.'s block, why did the audience hate Scott Haven in the next 2 eps? When he won in the first show, half the audience booed him.

I hope Bob Milliken can become a 5-time winner this coming week.

Oh, a couple of big eps to look out for in the coming week's: College week & the big \"3-dollar-win\" ep.

I'm still waiting to see the '83 eps with the following people:

Dave Wagner--L.A.'s #1 fireman
Kim Olliver--former beauty contest winner
David Barry--the poor geology prof who lands on a whammy and almost has a stroke!

These I remember from USA Network. I'd like to see them again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 01:56:10 PM by AmazingErikZ »

zachhoran

VCR Reminder
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 07:40:08 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 12:54 PM\'] I finally saw the "Jim Hess" ep. Some game that was! I see why nobody liked Sam after his "evil grin" in Round One. The audience wanted him to lose.

I have one question about this past Wed.'s block, why did the audience hate Scott Haven in the next 2 eps? When he won in the first show, half the audience booed him.

Oh, a couple of big eps to look out for in the coming week's: College week & the big "3-dollar-win" ep.

David Barry--the poor geology prof who lands on a whammy and almost has a stroke!

These I remember from USA Network. I'd like to see them again. [/quote]
 There's a certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL who also happens to be a regular on this board, USA never showed his episodes, they haven't been seen since their original broadcast 20 years ago next month.

Timsterino

VCR Reminder
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 08:20:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 07:40 PM\'] There's a certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL who also happens to be a regular on this board, USA never showed his episodes, they haven't been seen since their original broadcast 20 years ago next month. [/quote]
 Really? Wow! I would love to see his show. Maybe one day, GSN will get that season and air it. Anything is possible.

Tim :-)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
VCR Reminder
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2003, 02:30:18 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 06:40 PM\']There's a certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL who also happens to be a regular on this board, USA never showed his episodes, they haven't been seen since their original broadcast 20 years ago next month.[/quote]
Which gives me thought of a somewhat silly question--but I'll ask anyway.  :)

That certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL also did the finale of Tomarken's previous show HIT MAN.  I'm reasonably sure (but not positive) that no mention of that appearance was made on air (after all, we are talking about game shows on rival networks).  But with Randy having won a couple of times, it's certainly plausible that small talk in between tapings or in the final segment as the fee plugs and credits rolled could possibly have broached the subject.  So WAS there any mention of the HIT MAN appearance (either on air or off air)?  Or would something like that be taboo, as potential competitors might feel disadvantaged (not that it would stop them from trying to get on and win anyway)?

Please note that I never saw PYL's first few weeks--it premiered while I was a freshman in college at Indiana and the CBS and NBC affiliates in Indianapolis at that time only ran the 10AM-11AM ET network offerings during the November-April months (confusing story as to why).  So obviously I don't have any rememberance of the episodes in question.

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

rugrats1

VCR Reminder
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2003, 03:37:09 AM »
Please note that I never saw PYL's first few weeks--it premiered while I was a freshman in college at Indiana and the CBS and NBC affiliates in Indianapolis at that time only ran the 10AM-11AM ET network offerings during the November-April months (confusing story as to why).

Let me guess -- the Eastern Time areas of Indiana, except areas close to Louisville and Cincinnati, do not observe Daylight Savings Time. I don't know if they still do, but most of Indiana's network affiliates would tape delay all their shows one hour during DST, so that they would air at their regular times as Indiana observes year round Standard Time.

And my guess is that the Indianapolis channels pre-empt the 10AM hour shows during DST, for they tape delay the morning shows and they want to keep the 9AM shows and the Noon news on in their usual Standard Time slots.

How's that?

SRIV94

VCR Reminder
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2003, 11:54:17 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 02:37 AM\']Let me guess -- the Eastern Time areas of Indiana, except areas close to Louisville and Cincinnati, do not observe Daylight Savings Time. I don't know if they still do, but most of Indiana's network affiliates would tape delay all their shows one hour during DST, so that they would air at their regular times as Indiana observes year round Standard Time.

And my guess is that the Indianapolis channels pre-empt the 10AM hour shows during DST, for they tape delay the morning shows and they want to keep the 9AM shows and the Noon news on in their usual Standard Time slots.

How's that?[/quote]
Good guess.  And mostly right, too.  For the first few years that I was going to school there, the networks did run prime-time programming at 8-11 from October to April and 7-10 from April to October (I think it was around 1987 or 1988 that the network affiliates decided to go to the 8-11 prime time yearround--the only exceptions would be showing news or sports events live).

Doug -- soon to celebrate 100 posts
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

VCR Reminder
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2003, 12:57:00 PM »
I noticed when Jim got the final passed spin someone yelled out \"IT'S WHAMMY TIME!\" Was it the other player or someone in the audience?

Right the first time...it was Sam, the contestant who passed...he apparently didn't realize by doing so, he essentially eliminated himself from the game since he had no $$$, and Pamela (the 3rd player) was in 2nd place.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

SRIV94

VCR Reminder
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2003, 02:20:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 11:57 AM\']Right the first time...it was Sam, the contestant who passed...he apparently didn't realize by doing so, he essentially eliminated himself from the game since he had no $$$, and Pamela (the 3rd player) was in 2nd place.
[/quote]
It's funny--Tomarken reminded that to Sam during his spiel:  \"You'll need something that gives you an additional spin to stay in the game.  You could pass your spin to Jim.  If he whammys, Pamela will be your best friend.\"  Sam obviously wasn't listening.

If you'll recall (not just you, Chuck, but anyone within earshot), Jenny Jones wound up winning the exact same way (third place contestant passes final spin to first place contestant, who then whammys, giving second place contestant the win).  The strategy was so surprising that the directors (I'm pretty sure Bill Carruthers was directing the week of Jenny Jones eps while Rick Stern did the directing chores for the Jim Hess ep) didn't have the proper split screen in place for the final spins.

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts
Doug

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
VCR Reminder
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2003, 04:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 06:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 12:54 PM\'] I finally saw the "Jim Hess" ep. Some game that was! I see why nobody liked Sam after his "evil grin" in Round One. The audience wanted him to lose.

Oh, a couple of big eps to look out for in the coming week's: College week & the big "3-dollar-win" ep.

These I remember from USA Network. I'd like to see them again. [/quote]
There's a certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL who also happens to be a regular on this board, USA never showed his episodes, they haven't been seen since their original broadcast 20 years ago next month. [/quote]
 Really? Who's that? John Kramer?

*Randy won't be sending me those Sweep Swipe boxes now*....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

VCR Reminder
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2003, 06:14:24 PM »
There's a certain game show announcer who appeared on the second week of PYL who also happens to be a regular on this board, USA never showed his episodes, they haven't been seen since their original broadcast 20 years ago next month.

Luckily though, most of his episodes exist in the trade curcuit from original broadcasts.  The Mon, Thurs and Fri ep. from the first week are around, as are the Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri eps. from the second week.

I believe the earliest episode USA aired was from the middle of the third week.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

VCR Reminder
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2003, 06:16:42 PM »
I don't know if they still do, but most of Indiana's network affiliates would tape delay all their shows one hour during DST, so that they would air at their regular times as Indiana observes year round Standard Time.

There's an episode of \"Press Your Luck\" from October, 1985 where Peter welcomes back the Hoosier State.  He then lists four stations that have re-joined the show.  So my guess is when the time changed, those stations dropped the show for six months, and then picked it up again when the time went back.
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

VCR Reminder
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2003, 06:18:09 PM »
The strategy was so surprising that the directors (I'm pretty sure Bill Carruthers was directing the week of Jenny Jones eps while Rick Stern did the directing chores for the Jim Hess ep) didn't have the proper split screen in place for the final spins.

There are several episodes where they got the split screen set up too early - and a contestant hit a whammy and they didn't have a camera to cut to.  All you heard was the sound effect of the whammy.
NEW LOCATION!!!