Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blankety Blanks Episode Online for D/L  (Read 9767 times)

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
Blankety Blanks Episode Online for D/L
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 12:12:12 PM »
They really did a good job bringing Match Game to the land down under. Right down to every single detail on the set. However, seeing this leaves me with the retorical question of the day: What American game show hasn't Reg Grundy brought to Australia?

[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 05:28 AM\']Wink Martindale made some of the worst puns ever.
[snapback]109440[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you think the puns Wink let fly on that clip are bad? He's done worse. Very worse.
*Indecipherable screaming*

GS Warehouse

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 10:02 AM\']Memo to the other members: sending a 600MB MPEG-4 file via YouSendIt.com is not a good idea.  Really, it isn't.
[snapback]109454[/snapback]
[/quote]You might consider MegaUpload.com.

Members of Yahoo!'s Closing Logo Group have put together hundreds of short films containing closing logo combinations that never actually appeared together.  Starting last summer, most of them include segments called "That's Dumb!"* consisting of boners and other outrageous moments from game shows and otherwise, such as the "Saugage [BLANK]" typo from the UK Blankety Blanks.  My point is, the files have become so big that they can't be stored on Yahoo! groups anymore, so now they use MegaUpload to host their files.  Free accounts can host files for up to 30 days.

[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:13 AM\']Today, I am, officially, an idiot.
[/quote]As long as it's just today. :-)

* That title was derived from the Shell Game clip on Tony Harrison's TPiR site.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:35:11 PM by GS Warehouse »

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 12:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:49 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:44 AM\']What?!? Then what's the point of having the $25/$50/$100 amounts on the board if you can't really win it?
Or are you allowed to keep what you've won there and decide not to risk those earnings in the head-to-head segment?
[snapback]109461[/snapback]
[/quote]
Per the episode on the aforementioned link, the contestant does get to keep whatever they win in the Super Match ($25-$100).
[snapback]109463[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK, I'm spinning. I've got two different stories here. I'm going to the bar now. When I'm through (and I may remain until Super XL be done) maybe I'll understand what you get and what you don't. In the meanwhile, bottoms up!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 12:47:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 02:17 AM\']Some other random observations:

-- Just a Reg Grundy production?  No credit to G-T?[/quote]
Here is an image of the G/T credit.  Since most of you don't have electron microscopes, I'll decipher it for you--"This program is based on 'Match Game 76', a Mark Goodson/Bill Todman Production, Celebrity Production Inc., U.S.A"

[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 12:39 PM\']OK, I'm spinning. I've got two different stories here. I'm going to the bar now. When I'm through (and I may remain until Super XL be done) maybe I'll understand what you get and what you don't. In the meanwhile, bottoms up![/quote]
2:10 PM EDIT:  If you won the head-to-head match, you won the jackpot amount only, not the big prize plus the $100/$50/$25.  If you missed out on the big money, you got only the $100/$50/$25.  <Dennis James> Okay?  Okay! </DJ>

I still want you to save me a seat at the bar, my friend.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:13:18 PM by hmtriplecrown »

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 12:51:24 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 07:23 AM\']For those of you who may not know, the host Graham Kennedy is no mere emcee. At this point, his fame ranks somewhere in between Johnny Carson and Bob Hope's.

Is this from the DVD release, Mike?
[snapback]109445[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mr. Kennedy was a real solid host.  I mean you could tell he, like Gene in the early MG 7X format, was a little stiff to get accustomed to the format's pacing and the like.  But, Kennedy takes Rayburn's style and puts his subtle twist on it nicely.  I will say though, he does try to emulate him in said episode perhaps a little too closely at times (i.e. Now these messages throughout Australia).

Couple of questions I have...
1) Did they straddle games?  Some cite how there was a lot of clowning around on this episode...to keep a game self-contained you had to clown around a bit, no?

2) In the run did they ever adopt the later MGPM format of 3 rounds?  

3) And, for the sake of stupidity, I'm confused as to whether this was a weekly or 5 a week strip of shows.  Could someone fill me in?

Brig Bother

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006, 02:42:13 PM »
Couple of questions I have...
1) Did they straddle games?  Some cite how there was a lot of clowning around on this episode...to keep a game self-contained you had to clown around a bit, no?

Yes they did! Kennedy always hated games that had to go to a tie-break. Does this show on any of the shows on the DVD?

2) In the run did they ever adopt the later MGPM format of 3 rounds?

No they didn't! As far as I know.

3) And, for the sake of stupidity, I'm confused as to whether this was a weekly or 5 a week strip of shows.  Could someone fill me in?

Very definitely five days a week. Seemingly live.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 02:43:50 PM by Brig Bother »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 02:42 PM\']
1) Did they straddle games?  Some cite how there was a lot of clowning around on this episode...to keep a game self-contained you had to clown around a bit, no?

Yes they did! Kennedy always hated games that had to go to a tie-break. Does this show on any of the shows on the DVD?[/quote]
I've viewed a total of 10 episodes.  I have seen two tiebreakers.

Brig Bother

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 07:56 PM\']I've viewed a total of 10 episodes.  I have seen two tiebreakers.
[snapback]109481[/snapback]
[/quote]

But has he mentioned how much he hates them? It becomes a bit of a running joke.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 03:18:16 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 12:47 PM\']If you won the head-to-head match, you won the jackpot amount only, not the big prize plus the $100/$50/$25.  If you missed out on the big money, you got only the $100/$50/$25.  <Dennis James> Okay?  Okay! </DJ>

I still want you to save me a seat at the bar, my friend.
[snapback]109473[/snapback]
[/quote]

In other words, it is like the Bob Stewart School of Payouts™.  

If you win $100 in the Super Match, the Head to Head Match is technically only worth $900.  Thus a win gives you $1,000 total, a loss means you keep the original $100.

Much like the $25,000 Pyramid.  Pyramid win #1 nets $10,000, Pyramid try #2 is for $25,000, but technically only worth $15,000 if you have one win under the belt already.

(It's bad enough that we Ohioans have Steelers fans to the east of us and Michigan fans to the north.  But if the 2 groups of fans inbreed during Super Bowl XL...well, let's not try to think of the offspring)  GO SEAHAWKS!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 03:19:37 PM by TimK2003 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 03:02 PM\'][quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 07:56 PM\']I've viewed a total of 10 episodes.  I have seen two tiebreakers.[/quote]

But has he mentioned how much he hates them? It becomes a bit of a running joke.[/quote]
One episode had the first tiebreaker.  Graham shows some disgust during the second one.

The night is young.  Surely I'll see more tiebreakers.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 06:02:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 03:18 PM\']In other words, it is like the Bob Stewart School of Payouts™. 

If you win $100 in the Super Match, the Head to Head Match is technically only worth $900.  Thus a win gives you $1,000 total, a loss means you keep the original $100.[/quote]

The word you want for positive spin here is "augment".

Kniwt: I'm not sure what you mean about the game not really being "over". Mr. Kennedy wasn't on top of the mathematics, no doubt, but that was indeed the point at which the outcome was a foregone conclusion.

Also, I'm still not sure I know what the answer is regarding straddling games. I mean, I see "yes they did", but then I see that the host didn't like tie-breakers, which seems to suggest that they required him to speed through the rest of the game.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brig Bother

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 03:18 PM\']
Also, I'm still not sure I know what the answer is regarding straddling games. I mean, I see "yes they did", but then I see that the host didn't like tie-breakers, which seems to suggest that they required him to speed through the rest of the game.
[snapback]109491[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry: yes games regularly straddled and didn't seem particularly bothered as to what particular point they had to end the show on. If there was a different celebrity playing in a position the next day and they were partway through a game, you assumed you had matched the position.

pownster

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
I have the DVD set as well, and watched reruns of the show as a kid. I think I will clear up some of mysteries:

- General game play is the same as the MG 7x episodes.

- Graham Kennedy is known as the "King of Television", and was the MOST famous personality on television at that time (and the most highly paid as well). It was his first regular stint back on TV for several years, after a highly-controversial moment when he used an expletive (disguised as a bird call - I'll let you guess what the word was) on live television.

- The show was definitely recorded (not live) - Graham wasn't allowed to produce live TV again after the bird call incident. In that first episode - he makes a joke of the fact (the reference to Christmas by the contestant). The shows were produced months ahead of airing - and this fact is mocked upon all through the series.

- In the Supermatch round - if a player picks one of the three answers but doesn't match the celebrity, they receive the $25/$50/$100. However - if they do match the celebrity - they recieve the larger amount $250/$500/$1000 only.

- All losing contestants (including those who were carry-over champs) received a consolation prize (the Toshiba goods).

- Games were held over on many, many occasions (just like MG).

- A great deal of the celebrities were regulars (just like with MG) - Ugly Dave Gray, Noeline Brown and Stuart Wagstaff are on nearly nearly every show for the two year run - other regulars included Noel Ferrier, Barry Creyton  and Dawn Lake.

- It was Graham (in consultation with Ugly Dave Gray) who decided to end the show after only two (?) seasons - against the network's (0/10 Network) will, because "they had used up their entire suite of "gags". They wanted to end on a high.

- "Blankety Blanks" was the highest rating 7pm show of all time - on most nights - it had more viewers than the other three networks combined - that's no mean feat!  

I will try and post a interview he had about about his experience on "Blankety Blanks" (once I find it).

Chris.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

dzinkin

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 08:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 08:38 PM\']I will try and post a interview he had about about his experience on "Blankety Blanks" (once I find it).
[snapback]109496[/snapback]
[/quote]
I found two interviews in which he discussed the show, if briefly... see the next two posts.

dzinkin

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »
THE WEEKEND AUSTRALIAN

September 14, 1996, Saturday

SECTION: FULLPAGE / LOCAL; Pg. 3

LENGTH: 966 words

HEADLINE: On his selection: Graham Kennedy picks the highs and the lows

BYLINE: GRAHAM KENNEDY

BODY:
Q. Do you watch television any more and if so, why?

A. I know it's fashionable to admit to watching only the ABC and SBS but I really do find myself watching those channels more often lately.

Here in the bush, I get a better quality picture on those networks, which could have something to do with it. If there's a good movie or series (like Cracker) I haven't seen on the commercial stations I will watch, and the local weather on Prime is a must. But because of advancing years (63 soon) and a fondness for Beefeater gin (that should be worth a case!

I'm quite often snoring by 8pm.

Q. After those exciting, frantic early days of TV, do you miss any of it, or are you happier now? How do you fill your days?

A. With 124 acres (I didn't ever conquer the metric system) of various noxious weeds, bracken and rabbits there's always something to do. I have horses and dogs which need feeding and worming and fencing repairs never cease. I don't miss the television business which I always found very hard work.

Q. After 40 years of television, you are still widely regarded as the King. Do you think this reputation is deserved?

A. That sobriquet was bestowed upon me by one of your colleagues many years ago, as was Gra-Gra and others.

It's all nonsense, of course, but of considerable help to subeditors.

Q. After your own personal controversies, any thoughts on censorship?

A. If you mostly watch ABCTV and SBS there seems to be no censorship!

Q. Your wit was laced with irreverence. Who on television carries your legacy today?

A. With nothing live any more, I would venture no one.

Q. Do you think the nature of what makes people laugh has changed in 40 years?

A. No. Some of the newer comedians feel that by adding four-letter words they are improving their routines but after five Fs in as many minutes they are devaluing the impact of the word and achieving nothing. Then again, perhaps I'm jealous: in my time not even a bloody was allowed.

Q. On whom do you now practise your wit?

A. Henry. He's a retriever with a great sense of fun. Of course, with a dog, it has to be visual.

Q. What images does Bendigo St, Richmond (GTV9 studios, from which IMT was telecast), summon up for you today?

A. I remember the former Wurtheim piano factory (and later Heinz) with a great deal of fondness. It was a most ungainly television factory but well-loved by all of us. Still is.

Q. Doing that quirky, latenight news was an odd thing.

How did that come about?

A. I invented the combination of news with comedy on 11am at the Seven Network. It's not easy to do without offending almost everyone but once you've learned to do it (there's a trick to it) it can be great fun.

The Nine Network asked me to do it again years later (News Show/Coast To Coast) and it was a huge success (and not very expensive either, which has immediate appeal to commercial TV networks).

Q. What reading is on your bedside table?

A. Howard Hughes, The Untold Story and Grooming, Gossip and the Evolution of Language.

Q. You are known for communicating by fax. Any plans to upgrade to the Internet?

A. I refuse to read and learn any more manuals on anything. I can work my toaster and shaver: the instruction book that comes with the VCR has instructions in both English and Swedish - the latter makes just as much sense to me as the former.

Q. What's your fondest memory in 40 years of TV?

A. In nearly 50 years of broadcasting I can honestly say that I've never been in a show that I didn't like. Although, I'm ashamed to admit, I did a couple of movies for the money only. I've never had to work at anything else: a claim few Australian actors can make.

I've never had to drive a taxi between jobs. On TV I've hosted variety, game shows, had parts in mini series - even read the news, all of which I've enjoyed while being terrified most of the time.

Q. And your worst memory?

A. There have been terrible moments and I find it curious that the memory erases these as I get older.

Q. Any regrets?

A. No, not really. In 1957 it would have helped if I'd known about agents: I'm sure I would have fared better than six pounds a night!

But money wasn't important then: we all were in the beginning of an exciting new medium and we just wanted to learn it and do it - that was reward enough.

# # # In the history of Australian television only one personality stands out as the undisputed King. As the host of In Melbourne Tonight, and later the Graham Kennedy Show, Blankety Blanks, and even a late-night news program, Graham Kennedy was a live-wire, dazzling with his improvisational comedy routines, laughing at the stitched-up nature of television, lampooning everything and everyone mercilessly.

Audiences adored this man with his large, expressive frog eyes, his mischievous schoolboy manner and his utterly irreverent style. Many people still pay homage.

On the 40th anniversary of television in Australia, Graham Kennedy agreed to a rare interview with The Weekend Australian. But in these days of multimedia, we conversed not by satellite or video, not by phone or fax, not even by Internet. Instead, the man who was once at the forefront of the newest medium in town chose one of the oldest means of communication - the mail.

Surprisingly, he describes his experience in front of a camera as labouring, even terrifying at times. While he shrugs off the moniker The King, he ventures that no one carries his legacy today. At 62, he shuns the spotlight, recently declining an invitation to host a Nine Network special for the 40th anniversary of television. Instead his time is spent working on his property in the NSW Southern Highlands, sharing the precious Gra-Gra wit with his dog, Henry, and reading about famous recluse Howard Hughes.