Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blankety Blanks Episode Online for D/L  (Read 9770 times)

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Blankety Blanks Episode Online for D/L
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:39:45 PM »
If this has already been posted, my apologies.  I just stumbled upon it while going through my bookmarks.

classicgameshows.com

Look in the video section for the 3 parts!

Matt
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 11:40:23 PM by mparrish11 »
--Matt

Kniwt

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 02:17:55 AM »
For a first episode, it's surprisingly well done.  It looks as if the host had prepped by watching plenty of Gene and Co. -- he's got the ad-lib phrasing down, such as "the definitive answer."  Some other random observations:

-- The technology seems a bit more low-tech than MG7x.  Watch the score display do a funky reset at the end of the maingame.  
-- A "ding!" for each celeb finishing their answer, but no sound for a correct answer?
-- So much chitter-chatter!  So many forced jokes.
-- Mighty suggestive questions for a debut!  But they knew what made MG7x work.
-- Just a Reg Grundy production?  No credit to G-T?
-- A$1000 really wasn't that much, even in 1977, was it?
-- And the game was declared "over" just a wee bit prematurely, wasn't it?

And as with so many other international versions, it's similar enough to the U.S. version to look familiar, but just different enough to throw me slightly off-kilter.

Video treat of the week!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 04:28:44 AM »
On an semi-unrelated note, and I apologize for the mini-threadjack (but I didn't feel this merited its own thread)...Jamie Locklin posted a TTD clip on the "Page O' Clips"...and I must say: Wink Martindale made some of the worst puns ever.  Oy vey...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »
For those of you who may not know, the host Graham Kennedy is no mere emcee. At this point, his fame ranks somewhere in between Johnny Carson and Bob Hope's.

Is this from the DVD release, Mike?
@lambertman

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:40:17 AM »
just punched up the site, and i don't see the video links....did i miss something or have the clips been taken down? thanks Mike!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 08:40 AM\']just punched up the site, and i don't see the video links....did i miss something or have the clips been taken down? thanks Mike!
[snapback]109447[/snapback]
[/quote]
http://classicgameshows.com/video/index.html
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:01 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 08:40 AM\']just punched up the site, and i don't see the video links....did i miss something or have the clips been taken down? thanks Mike!
[snapback]109447[/snapback]
[/quote]
http://classicgameshows.com/video/index.html
[snapback]109448[/snapback]
[/quote]

Today, I am, officially, an idiot.

Just today though.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:13 AM\']Today, I am, officially, an idiot.
[/quote]
That's OK.  We still like you.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 09:53:39 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 07:23 AM\']Is this from the DVD release, Mike?[/quote]
Indeed it is.  A certain individual on this board, who shall remain nameless, wanted me to post an episode online.  After about a half dozen attempts at sending me a 1/2 GB video file, said person decided to convert the eps. from Region 4 to Region 1 and burn the entire DVD set.  Much props to that mystery guest!

There is more where that came from.  I saw four episodes last night.  Two of the four episodes were so funny that I was near tears.  Honestly, I think the 4 BBs I saw last night were funnier than an average episode of MG 7x.  Also, since my monthly bandwidth allocation gets reset in ~96 hours, I can afford to put more material online.

Some additional notes which you guys should see in the near future, regarding BB that might not have been evident on the premiere:
*  You only won the big prize if you matched in the head-to-head portion of the Super Match i.e. if you got the $100 answer in the audience match and won the $1000 in the head-to-head, you got $1000.  If you got $25 in the audience part and bombed the head-to-head, you had $0.
*  A game win was signaled by a high-pitched bicycle horn, not bells, dings, or other customary sound effects.
*  Just about every episode ends with Ugly Dave Grey delivering a bad joke.  Real bad.
*  G/T (at least Goodson) gets credit in really really small type under producer Tony Connelly's name in later episodes.
*  There are numerous celebrity panels with 4 men and two women, with a male occupying the 6th seat.

With any luck, I can get another episode online tonight.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 10:06:02 AM by hmtriplecrown »

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:53 AM\']Indeed it is.  A certain individual on this board, who shall remain nameless, wanted me to post an episode online.  After about a half dozen attempts at sending me a 1/2 GB video file, said person decided to convert the eps. from Region 4 to Region 1 and burn the entire DVD set.  Much props to that mystery guest!
[snapback]109452[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am the mystery guest in question -- and I'd like to thank Mike for placing the episode online.  I'm not averse to sharing but I just don't have the web space or bandwidth to do so, nor do I have time to burn lots of DVDs.  This way everyone gets at least a taste.

Memo to the other members: sending a 600MB MPEG-4 file via YouSendIt.com is not a good idea.  Really, it isn't.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 10:17:41 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:13 AM\']Today, I am, officially, an idiot.
[/quote]

Now, there's a non-traditional Bar Mitzvah phrase...
czambo@mac.com

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 11:44:17 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 09:53 AM\']If you got $25 in the audience part and bombed the head-to-head, you had $0.
[snapback]109452[/snapback]
[/quote]
What?!? Then what's the point of having the $25/$50/$100 amounts on the board if you can't really win it?
Or are you allowed to keep what you've won there and decide not to risk those earnings in the head-to-head segment?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 11:45:09 AM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 11:49:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:44 AM\']What?!? Then what's the point of having the $25/$50/$100 amounts on the board if you can't really win it?
Or are you allowed to keep what you've won there and decide not to risk those earnings in the head-to-head segment?
[snapback]109461[/snapback]
[/quote]

Per the episode on the aforementioned link, the contestant does get to keep whatever they win in the Super Match ($25-$100).

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:44 AM\']What?!? Then what's the point of having the $25/$50/$100 amounts on the board if you can't really win it?
Or are you allowed to keep what you've won there and decide not to risk those earnings in the head-to-head segment?[/quote]
There is no risk involved.  I guess the dollar amounts used in the audience part are used to determine what the head-to-head is worth.  If you blow the audience match, you are the champion with exactly $0, as contestants earned bupkis for winning the main game.

[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 11:49 AM\']Per the episode on the aforementioned link, the contestant does get to keep whatever they win in the Super Match ($25-$100).[/quote]
This isn't always the case.  In several of the later episodes I watched, a contestant won $1000 in the Super Match, not $1100, plus another contestant earned $250, not $275.  (Aw crap, I should've added spoiler space.)

The parting gifts for losing contestants on each episode I've seen are from Toshiba.  I didn't hear Graham mention that losing champs receive parting gifts.  Could it be possible that a champion can win less than a person he/she defeated?

Back to the DVDs, to see if I can find answers to these burning questions...

EDIT:  There's one other tidbit to add which I find interesting:  Each celebrity panel is on for just two episodes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 12:16:37 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Brig Bother

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »
It was always my understanding from the episodes I've got that if you lose the head-to-head, you still win what you earn in the audience match.

If they did win something then they wouldn't get any parting gifts when they are eliminated, leading Kennedy to say something along the lines of "sometimes it's better to lose than to go away with the smallest dollar amount."