Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emcee Language  (Read 7839 times)

FOXSportsFan

Emcee Language
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 12:59:09 PM »
Variety is the spice of life.  I'll throw in a sportscasting sidebar.  Joel Meyers is currently the voice of the Lakers and is known for being, arguably, the human thesaurus of play by play.  He finds different ways of saying things most commonly referred to as a "pass" or a "shot" as often as possible to mix it up, liven up the proceedings, and to entertain himself probably as well.

Same goes with an emcee...Gene Rayburn in his explanations in the beginning of MGPM always finds a way to vary up his description of the rules, usually finding a way to poke fun at the contestants (the "beautiful people", "dingbats", "creatures from the dark lagoon", et al).  There are certain areas that lend to ad-libbing/improvisation of the cuff, and certain things, as our honorable moderator mentioned, where you have to stick to script.  Sometimes there's no better way to say things.

Winkfan

Emcee Language
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
Gene Rayburn in his explanations in the beginning of MGPM always finds a way to vary up his description of the rules, usually finding a way to poke fun at the contestants (the "beautiful people", "dingbats", "creatures from the dark lagoon", et al).

Pardon moi, but don't you mean the celebrities? There's no way in Marineville* that Geno would EVER call his contestants "creatures from the dark lagoon."

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Hilary Safire of the Big Board!

(*setting for the "Supermarionation" series, Stingray.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:39:10 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

FOXSportsFan

Emcee Language
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 08:42 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 4 2006, 10:59 AM\']Gene Rayburn in his explanations in the beginning of MGPM always finds a way to vary up his description of the rules, usually finding a way to poke fun at the contestants (the "beautiful people", "dingbats", "creatures from the dark lagoon", et al).[/quote]

Pardon moi, but don't you mean the celebrities? There's no way in Marineville* that Geno would EVER call his contestants "creatures from the dark lagoon."

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Hilary Safire of the Big Board!

(*setting for the "Supermarionation" series, Stingray.)
[snapback]109497[/snapback]
[/quote]

I meant celebs, yes...but with some of the weird answers he got, they may well be from that same lagoon...Cuckoo, Fran, and...ya

Jimmy Owen

Emcee Language
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 07:29:12 AM »
Chuck Woolery used to say out of commercial "Welcome back to round two of WOF," when round 2 was just beginning.  If I had scripted that, I would have changed it to "Welcome back to WOF. It's round 2.."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Emcee Language
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
That doesn't hold a candle to Bert almost always saying "And, if you're ready to go..." leading into a puzzle or Alpha...errr Super Password.

Or Regis and Merideth stating during the Ask the Audience lifeline "...if you're ready, please vote now".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Emcee Language
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 03:46:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 04:29 AM\']Chuck Woolery used to say out of commercial "Welcome back to round two of WOF," when round 2 was just beginning.  If I had scripted that, I would have changed it to "Welcome back to WOF. It's round 2.."
[snapback]109510[/snapback]
[/quote]
You gotta be kidding me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Emcee Language
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 03:46 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 04:29 AM\']Chuck Woolery used to say out of commercial "Welcome back to round two of WOF," when round 2 was just beginning.  If I had scripted that, I would have changed it to "Welcome back to WOF. It's round 2.."
[snapback]109510[/snapback]
[/quote]
You gotta be kidding me.
[snapback]109519[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, he really said it! How can you welcome someone back to something that hadn't begun? It boggles the mind in its incredulity.

(No need for rebuttal, I get it that you don't think it's significant.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 04:01:07 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Emcee Language
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 04:02:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 12:59 PM\']No, he really said it! How can you welcome someone back to something that hadn't begun? It boggles the mind in its incredulity.

(No need for rebuttal, I get it that you don't think it's significant.)
[snapback]109520[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, sir, you FAR overestimate my opinion.

Steve Gavazzi

Emcee Language
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 07:38:38 PM »
A friend mentioned something to me once that I think fits here:  On Wheel, when someone takes a Mystery Wedge, Pat always says, "by the way, that other Mystery Wedge is now a regular $1,000 space"...even if it's the Bankrupt.  Why would anyone want to take the other space if they knew it was a Bankrupt?

Robert Hutchinson

Emcee Language
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2006, 09:57:24 PM »
Steve: We're talking about contestants that can't remember that the R was called 10 seconds ago. :)

(Chris, forgive me.) Jimmy: For Chuck, round 2 has already started--they've loaded the board and the wheel. Now he's welcoming us back to the interesting (televised) part of it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

Emcee Language
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 5 2006, 06:57 PM\'](Chris, forgive me.) Jimmy: For Chuck, round 2 has already started--they've loaded the board and the wheel. Now he's welcoming us back to the interesting (televised) part of it.
[snapback]109529[/snapback]
[/quote]
More to the point, it's all about taking a little artistic license to create a fast-paced feel. If Chuck up and says that we're between rounds, as Jimmy would have liked, it creates the feel that the game is at a dead stop, whereas the way they did it makes the viewer feel like the show is moving along faster.

Robert Hutchinson

Emcee Language
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »
Well, yes. That's why I was asking you to forgive me, nitpicking a point that was already fine for an obvious reason.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

Emcee Language
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
Of course. I responded more because I wanted to elaborate on my initial reaction of "that's perfectly moronic" with an explanation (after a modicum of consideration) of WHY I thought it was moronic. :)

Jay Temple

Emcee Language
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 01:44:57 PM »
Alex Trebek on a clue that all three players missed:  "No harm, no foul."  It only bothers me when it's late in the game and it has a direct bearing on what can happen in FJ.  Mainly this means that the third-place player goes into a deficit, or the lead player now has a lock game.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.