Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SB's latest column  (Read 4764 times)

Robair

SB's latest column
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2003, 07:27:53 AM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 05:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2003, 11:55 AM\'] I rememeber the Buffalo version - it was on Channel 4 every Saturday night for many years (right before "Treasure Hunt" in the '70s).  It featured three local area high school teams answering educational questions. [/quote]
Yes, that's it.  I think we were on it in 1980 and 1981.  Unlike Mr. Perfesser, I do not remember anything about it... other than in '80 we won our match and qualified for a playoff match that we lost, and in '81 we also won but didn't make the playoffs.

Our advisor had a trash bag full of index cards, representing every question that had been asked for several years.  Mostly titles and authors to books we'd never seen, and to this day haven't read.  And someone (the shop teacher?) built a set of three panel boxes with buttons, lights and buzzer.

Not exactly the coolest activity in the school, but it only took up one or two hours every week and it got us on TV.

Sorry if I didn't use enough "I"'s and "me"'s.  I'll try harder next time. [/quote]
 No, our school made sure it was cool when I participated in my school's quiz program. We never aspired to be anything more than a significa club, not having the funding to compete on an interscholastic level, but I enjoyed writing the questions and watching the kids brows furrow when I moderated. Yep, students were given the chance to moderate in our school and we used the classic College Bowl format with three teams rather than two. And it didn't hurt matters that we gave everything a slick game show feel since there were more than a few game nuts in there.
--Robair

joelvanderveen

SB's latest column
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2003, 03:11:25 PM »
Reminds me of a picture I saw of Tim Allen in a '94 Time magazine.

DrBear

SB's latest column
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2003, 05:55:02 PM »
Hey, I rather enjoyed the Prof's columnostalgia.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

GS Warehouse

SB's latest column
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2003, 06:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 04:55 PM\']... columnostalgia.[/quote]
Reason A. Goodwin would be rolling in his grave if he knew about all of these [Allen Ludden]coined words[/AL].

PeterMarshallFan

SB's latest column
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2003, 06:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 06:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 26 2003, 04:55 PM\']... columnostalgia.[/quote]
Reason A. Goodwin would be rolling in his grave if he knew about all of these [Allen Ludden]coined words[/AL]. [/quote]
 Probably right.

And the creators of \"Blind Date '49\" are probably upending over these docudatergameries.