Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This is Don Pardo speaking...  (Read 3782 times)

Argo

This is Don Pardo speaking...
« on: December 17, 2005, 02:12:23 AM »
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/international/us_nbc_wnbc4.html

An interesting find... if you haven't seen/heard it before obviously. Don Pardo announcing Live at Five, WNBC 4 New York news from the early 80s. Notice from the 1984 and 1986 clip, they actually have Don on the set announcing, and the intro zooms out from him and his microphone.

Also, a short scroll down, you can see more clips of him as they celebrate the end of Live at Five, which became News 4 New York at 5 the following monday.

Cwwwaaayyyzzaaa
~Argo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 02:19:45 AM by Argo »

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 06:10:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Dec 17 2005, 02:12 AM\']
Also, a short scroll down, you can see more clips of him as they celebrate the end of Live at Five, which became News 4 New York at 5 the following monday.
[snapback]104930[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Liiiiiiiivvvvvvveeeeeeee at Fivvvvvveeee".....

It was a tremendous local news show....picture a news program with the style and shilling of the current Today show without the plaza....Celebrities would drop in, Jack Cafferty would be ornery as ever, and that black set! Tremendous....Don Pardo was the classy addition at the mike....

When Matt Lauer was splitting his shift between newsreader and Live at Five in the early 90s, it wasn't the same.... By then, it was a traditional news show.... Judging by their current ratings....I can't believe they would'nt want to return to the "Live at Five" days...the old show may be the last time that had better overall ratings than WABC
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 17 2005, 05:10 AM\']It was a tremendous local news show....picture a news program with the style and shilling of the current Today show without the plaza....Celebrities would drop in, Jack Cafferty would be ornery as ever, and that black set! Tremendous....Don Pardo was the classy addition at the mike....
[snapback]104931[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed.

Plus, not to mention Letterman occasionally making his presence felt (Dave taped LNWDL right across the hall)--whether it was "helping" with the weather or badgering celebrities waiting to do LIVE AT FIVE (Sophia Loren springs to mind immediately).

Doug -- and the countdown to 1700 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:35:15 PM »
Yeah, L@5 def wasn't your average 5 PM newscast...it was truly a one-of-a-kind local production that successfully blended straight news w/top-name celeb interviews (Bob Fosse, anyone?) and even brought the late, great former WABC anchor Roger Grimsby back to TV, if only for a short time in the late 80s.

I was fortunate enough to have gotten a look at that set up close while touring NBC's 30 Rock facilities in late summer 89, when I was just 10...can't tell you how much I wanted to sit behind the desk. :-)

And yeah, when they dumped the L@5 format in fall 91, it was truly the end of an era...that was also when WNBC bumped Brokaw from 7 back to 6:30 and cut their 6 PM newscast (News 4 NY) to a half-hr so they could make room for - of all things - Love Connection.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 10:38:12 PM by ChuckNet »

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:45:43 PM »
I don't know about anyone else here, but that site just "wasted" more than a few hours of my time. All of it fascinating. Thanks Argo!
You should follow me on Twitter

Argo

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 02:12:43 AM »
No Prob. I have known about it for some time. It originates from the UK so most of the information/clips, etc are from british tv, but there is an international section as well. Its a a great site.

[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Dec 18 2005, 10:45 PM\']I don't know about anyone else here, but that site just "wasted" more than a few hours of my time. All of it fascinating. Thanks Argo!
[snapback]105016[/snapback]
[/quote]

Johnissoevil

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Dec 23 2005, 02:12 AM\']No Prob. I have known about it for some time. It originates from the UK so most of the information/clips, etc are from british tv, but there is an international section as well. Its a a great site.
[snapback]105646[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Bruce TPiR clips are pretty neat.  Add to that the clips of the other game shows across the pond.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Timsterino

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 04:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Dec 23 2005, 04:10 PM\'][quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Dec 23 2005, 02:12 AM\']No Prob. I have known about it for some time. It originates from the UK so most of the information/clips, etc are from british tv, but there is an international section as well. Its a a great site.
[snapback]105646[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Bruce TPiR clips are pretty neat.  Add to that the clips of the other game shows across the pond.
[snapback]105671[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you for posting this site. Having grown up in NYC during the 70's and 80's, this site brought back some serious memories for me. Great stuff. Live at Five was most definitely a unique program.

Thanks!!!