Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lingo Adds Rolling Jackpot  (Read 7067 times)

itiparanoid13

Lingo Adds Rolling Jackpot
« on: December 14, 2005, 07:08:46 AM »
A person who tried out for season 5 just told me that Lingo will be adding a rolling jackpot this season.  If you draw a Lingo on your first ball, you get $10,000 PLUS $1,000 for each day not won.  Shandi and everything will return for the new season.  They also have some special weeks lined up because of the Lingo Online ToC.  Everthing is here.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:19:42 AM »
[quote name=\'buzzerblog.com\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 3:39 AM\']I think Lingo finally found it's set image and can easily turn away doubters that it is the best original of GSN's history.[/quote]
Most successful original? Without a doubt.

Best? I'll be a doubter of that one for a *long* while....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:21:10 AM by Steve McClellan »

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:53:25 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 07:08 AM\']A person who tried out for season 5 just told me that Lingo will be adding a rolling jackpot this season.  If you draw a Lingo on your first ball, you get $10,000 PLUS $1,000 for each day not won.  Shandi and everything will return for the new season.  They also have some special weeks lined up because of the Lingo Online ToC.  Everthing is here.
[snapback]104700[/snapback]
[/quote]

They won't be having returning champions I take it? Won't this become the first show in the modern era to have a progressive jackpot but no returning champions.

sshuffield70

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:22:29 AM »
You think if this flies, they might (finally) consider returning champions?  I remember a lot of people bitching about Whammy not having returning champs.

TonicBH

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 09:25:21 AM »
This was unnecessary, but at least they can attempt to run shows in order now.

But this will not make me watch Lingo religiously. There are still a few problems (mostly cosmetic) with the game that need to be fixed. I'm surprised for a show that's been on for several years that by now they'd realize something's wrong.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

roadgeek

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 09:44:58 AM »
What would you change, cosmetically or otherwise?

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 09:57:45 AM »
From a business model , i'd be curious  to know two things...

1. What does another run cost GSN to do?  In today's world of producing cable programming cheaply, the overhead can't be too much.

And if so....then

2. Why doesn't GSN use this business model to create other inexpensive (cheap) productions. Play a game, knock out 65 eps over 10 days, develop a relatively inexpensive prize budget, and program their early evening dayparts with em?

They were doing so well with RR/FoF/Whammy/Wintuiition.... granted, they were flawed game shows, but they were inexpensive to produce....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 10:21:30 AM »
Yeah, looking back, I should have put "easily the most successful", because I still feel that Russian Roulette was the best.  I'll find out about returning champs today.  Other than that, Lingo is seriously about set for me.  Money in the front game and an updated graphic package would be nice, but beyond that, it's finally good for me.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 07:53 AM\']They won't be having returning champions I take it? Won't this become the first show in the modern era to have a progressive jackpot but no returning champions.
[/quote]
You mean you don't know?  And just what is "the modern era"?  Anyhow...
Well, you asked...
The set is unfriendly.  It's hard on the eyes.  
I discussed this at length, off-board with another member, and we both agreed that they need scoreboards on the set; having to show those graphic overlays is a waste of time.  
I would also erase the 18-34 age restriction, as well as get rid of the good looking chumps; replacing them

While from a viewers standpoint, I see why they have a model, but I don't see how this adds anything to the game, besides a pair of boobs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 02:55:00 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 10:57 AM\']2. Why doesn't GSN use this business model to create other inexpensive (cheap) productions. Play a game, knock out 65 eps over 10 days, develop a relatively inexpensive prize budget, and program their early evening dayparts with em? [/quote]
When they change the name to "Matt's GSN", you and I can be co-owners because we're on exactly the same page.  That and, you know, the whole "Matt" thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 03:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 07:53 AM\']Won't this become the first show in the modern era to have a progressive jackpot but no returning champions.
[snapback]104703[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nay. Greed did it for a month or so during its mini-series period as did Who Wants To Be A Millionaire for a few months.

FeudDude

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 03:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 03:54 PM\']
Well, you asked...
The set is unfriendly.  It's hard on the eyes.  
I discussed this at length, off-board with another member, and we both agreed that they need scoreboards on the set; having to show those graphic overlays is a waste of time.[/quote]

I agree that having on-set score displays would be a good idea, but other than that, the season 4 set is A-OK in my book, as is the music.

I would also erase the 18-34 age restriction, as well as get rid of the good looking chumps; replacing them

While it would be nice to mix it up and have older contestants on the show, I understand that they're trying to go for a youthful image.  And in my opinion, this method is much more effective and less annoying than resorting to shock value or "DOUBLE THE POINTS"-type schtick.  I do think they should make more of an effort to find smarter contestants in this age group, however, and I know that wouldn't be an impossible task.

While from a viewers standpoint, I see why they have a model, but I don't see how this adds anything to the game, besides a pair of boobs.
[snapback]104740[/snapback]

Again, this goes along with the youthful vibe they're going for, and while I agree that Shandi doesn't add much to the game, I don't think she really detracts from it either.

I really think that the show is near perfection at this point.  The rolling jackpot is a great idea and I can't wait to see it executed.  Returning champions and dollars in the main game would be great, but Lingo as it stands is still a very solid show all the way in my book.

xibit777

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 03:52:29 PM »
A rolling jackpot would be completely against the way they do reruns of the show currently.  They'd have to do the 65 shows in specific order over and over like they do with classics.   I think this would create a lot more noticeable rerun abuse since they'll be airing the shows in the same order over and over.

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 03:54:07 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Dec 14 2005, 03:46 PM\']Returning champions and dollars in the main game would be great
[snapback]104745[/snapback]
[/quote]
I can cope with the main game being played for points, but I'd rather (since the shows will be playing in order with the top prize now being escalated for each non-win of it) that the victory point be a set amount. That way Chuck and Shandi can do their rehearsed spontaneity routine and it doesn't take away from potential catch-up time. If it straddles, it straddles and two new teams are brought on at mid-show the next day following Bonus Lingo.
While returning champs would please me, if a pair like Ben and Josh were to come along compared to the usual contestant ilk, they'd posssibly go on to break Ian Lygo's winning streak record.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 03:55:39 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 03:57:30 PM »
With an escalating jackpot causing the show to air in order, this seems like the best opportunity to straddle the show. Maybe make it a best of three matchup. I mean, why complain about continuity when you have the continuing jackpot?

As for the Pair-O-Matt's idea, I likes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!