Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Joker's Wild Question  (Read 8584 times)

DJDustman

The Joker's Wild Question
« on: August 23, 2003, 11:40:21 AM »
Was there ever a big winner on the syndicated TJW with Jack Barry...Like Thom Mckee?

beatlefreak84

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 11:54:38 AM »
I believe it was stated that this show had a winnings cap of $50,000 for the syndicated version, unlike TTD (can somebody confirm this?), so there couldn't have been any Thom McKees (my guess, if this is true, was to prevent ANY accusations of the show being fixed since most of it is based on the slot machines, unlike TTD, which is the questions).

I do believe that the biggest winner on the syndicated version (not counting the tournaments) won about $60,000 (Zach can probably give you the exact figure), which included two cars.

Honestly, though, this show was a lot harder to establish a good run on anyway since so much was dependent on luck (only on this show could you win, say, 10 games in a row and then lose your 11th all because your opponent spun three jokers!), so I couldn't see any McKee-like runs even without a winnings cap.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 02:02:35 PM »
I believe it was stated that this show had a winnings cap of $50,000 for the syndicated version, unlike TTD (can somebody confirm this?), so there couldn't have been any Thom McKees (my guess, if this is true, was to prevent ANY accusations of the show being fixed since most of it is based on the slot machines, unlike TTD, which is the questions).

There was only a cap when it was picked up by CBS O&Os (WCBS?). Same goes for TTD, I think.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2003, 02:41:01 PM »
The biggest money winner was Joe Dunn, who won in excess of $60k. Following Joe Dunn is Eileen Jacobs, who won a little over $40k, and Hal Shear, who won just under $40k.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2003, 12:17:40 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 23 2003, 11:41 AM\'] Hal Shear, who won just under $40k. [/quote]
 Hal, of course, was most notable for the loud 70's jacket he wore on the show, and for the luck that it brought him when he managed to extend his reign by spinning three Jokers on a final spin of the game...maybe if Mike Klauss is watching, and feeling particularly benevolent, he'll put the clip back up on his site for a bit...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2003, 12:41:40 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 23 2003, 10:54 AM\']I believe it was stated that this show had a winnings cap of $50,000 for the syndicated version, unlike TTD (can somebody confirm this?), so there couldn't have been any Thom McKees (my guess, if this is true, was to prevent ANY accusations of the show being fixed since most of it is based on the slot machines, unlike TTD, which is the questions).
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that, in one of the early episodes (it may have even been on the first episode itself), Jack said something like, \"Unlike the CBS version, there's no limit; you can win over $100,000, and you get to keep it all\".

-- Don

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2003, 02:06:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 23 2003, 11:17 PM\'] Hal, of course, was most notable for the loud 70's jacket he wore on the show, and for the luck that it brought him when he managed to extend his reign by spinning three Jokers on a final spin of the game...maybe if Mike Klauss is watching, and feeling particularly benevolent, he'll put the clip back up on his site for a bit... [/quote]
 Since you asked nicely and I'm feeling quite benevolent right now...

http://www.tv-gameshows.com/halshear.rm

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 02:44:20 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 23 2003, 11:06 PM\'] Since you asked nicely and I'm feeling quite benevolent right now...

http://www.tv-gameshows.com/halshear.rm [/quote]
 Thanks, Mike, 'preciate it. :)

For those who haven't seen it, it's worth the download, it's a pretty amazing moment.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jrjgames

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 09:15:42 AM »
Didnt they once have a $250,000 Tournament?!  I think I have that on tape!

John

GS Warehouse

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2003, 10:02:19 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 24 2003, 01:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 23 2003, 11:06 PM\'] Since you asked nicely and I'm feeling quite benevolent right now...

http://www.tv-gameshows.com/halshear.rm [/quote]
Thanks, Mike, 'preciate it. :)

For those who haven't seen it, it's worth the download, it's a pretty amazing moment. [/quote]
 I agree.  Thanks Mike.  As long as you're taking requests, I used to have that 1980 clip from CS when Toby got all four threes in a row in the Money Cards, but I lost it in a hard-drive crash last week.  (It's also notable because the buzzer when the last three came up was the closest we'll ever come to hearing that sfx clean.)  There is no hurry, though; you can post it the next time you're feeling benevolent, or the time after that.  All I ask is you don't repost Malcolm first! :-)

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2003, 01:21:17 PM »
The biggest money winner was Joe Dunn, who won in excess of $60k. Following Joe Dunn is Eileen Jacobs, who won a little over $40k, and Hal Shear, who won just under $40k.

Here's my 25 or so year old memory of The Joker's Wild winners list:
After Joe Dunn was Eileen Jason (not Jacobs) who won over $55000 in fifteen wins and went on to beat Frank Dillon--for which I'll never forgive her--in the $250,000 Tournament Of Champions. Hal won whatever he won in 11 victories (the dollar figure escapes me but the $40K or so listed above seems right) while Mark Gluckman racked up around $33000 in 13 championships. Mark didn't have the best of luck when facing the devil. And neither of them had to give a single definition. The biggest Natural Triple Jackpot win I recall is around $26000 or so won by someone who needed three jokers to win the game. He didn't get it, but he did get all the prizes in the Natural Triple Jackpot for spinning three of the same category even though he lost the game by not getting the jokers he needed. This was toward the end of the 1983-84 season.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2003, 01:21:53 PM by Don Howard »

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2003, 06:58:46 PM »
The biggest money winner was Joe Dunn, who won in excess of $60k.

However, because of the CBS winnings cap of $50K, he had to forefit about $11K of that, which technically kept him from topping Eileen Jason's $55K+ win.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2003, 07:01:40 PM »
Didnt they once have a $250,000 Tournament?! I think I have that on tape!

Yep...they a tournament for each of the first 4 syndie seasons, w/grand prize payoffs as follows:

1977 - $50K
1978 - $100K
1979 - $250K
1980 - grand total of $1M awarded to all participants

After the show moved to the CBS O&Os, there were no more ToCs, although they did have a $25K Couples Tournament sometime in early 1982.

ChuckNet

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2003, 07:07:44 PM »
After Joe Dunn was Eileen Jason (not Jacobs) who won over $55000 in fifteen wins and went on to beat Frank Dillon--for which I'll never forgive her--in the $250,000 Tournament Of Champions.

And it was a classic moment...Eileen was ahead of Frank in the final game, 500-400, so Frank needed at least a pair to stay in the game. He spins the wheels, and what does he get? 3 individual categories, giving the win to Eileen.

(Queries of \"Rrrrrrigggged?\" could be heard after viewing this ep at GSC8 in Cleveland, '99)

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 07:14:13 PM »
Mark Gluckman racked up around $33000 in 13 championships.

And the woman who defeated him, Susan (last name?), didn't do too badly either, winning at least 5 games and over $20K in cash/prizes.