Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel news  (Read 13492 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel news
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2005, 05:45:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 02:31 PM\']I think the bigger reason for the lack of charm is that the producers took a game that is at heart a warm, friendly competition, and gave it a Millionaire-esque set that made everything look cold and sterile.  Bleh.
[snapback]103256[/snapback]
[/quote]
And that it sucked. Don't forget that. It sucked. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Wheel news
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 05:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 02:31 PM\']I think the bigger reason for the lack of charm is that the producers took a game that is at heart a warm, friendly competition, and gave it a Millionaire-esque set that made everything look cold and sterile.  Bleh.
[/quote]
[snapback]103257[/snapback]
[/quote]
Another problem was that it was often difficult to tell contestant from celebrity without seeing the graphic introducing them.

Or maybe it was just me.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

Wheel news
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2005, 06:19:30 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 03:50 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 05:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 02:31 PM\']I think the bigger reason for the lack of charm is that the producers took a game that is at heart a warm, friendly competition, and gave it a Millionaire-esque set that made everything look cold and sterile.  Bleh.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Another problem was that it was often difficult to tell contestant from celebrity without seeing the graphic introducing them.

Or maybe it was just me.
[snapback]103258[/snapback]
[/quote]

Fedya

Wheel news
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2005, 08:16:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 05:45 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 02:31 PM\']I think the bigger reason for the lack of charm is that the producers took a game that is at heart a warm, friendly competition, and gave it a Millionaire-esque set that made everything look cold and sterile.  Bleh.
[/quote]
[/quote]
The amount of charm a show has and whether it sucks aren't necessarily correlated.  Bill Cullen brought charm to some rather crappy shows.  :-)

And the hosts of The Weakest Link are by design as cuddly as an eel, but that doesn't mean the show sucks.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

Wheel news
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2005, 09:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 05:16 PM\']The amount of charm a show has and whether it sucks aren't necessarily correlated.  Bill Cullen brought charm to some rather crappy shows.  :-)
[/quote]
Fair enough. So long as we agree that it sucked. :)

HYHYBT

Wheel news
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2005, 04:32:23 AM »
I can't think of any reason it would be *impossible* to build non-rectangular flatscreens, just wildly expensive since there'd be no mass production. If you had a circular one the right size, surrounded by a ring with the hand grips, and fixed the graphics on the non-wheel to rotate in time with the ring, the display itself could be stationary.

Not in the least practical, even if having "Wheel of Fortune" with no wheel weren't a horrible idea to begin with, but it should be possible.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

GPeefalt

Wheel news
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »
I don't understand the problem Wheel has with changing the wheel by hand.  Considering there is now a commerical between each round.  Also, what's wrong with the words "Stop Tape"?

clemon79

Wheel news
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'GPeefalt\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 10:44 AM\']I don't understand the problem Wheel has with changing the wheel by hand.  Considering there is now a commerical between each round.  Also, what's wrong with the words "Stop Tape"?
[snapback]103321[/snapback]
[/quote]
They cost money. Not the words themselves, but the time that passes between the words "stop tape" and "roll tape".

uncamark

Wheel news
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 02:36:25 PM »
The key here is "HDTV."  As has been mentioned here before, a lot of game show sets--and sets for TV shows in general--may look great on TV, where they're supposed to look great, but much less so in person.  The challenge of HDTV is that sets (and to be truthful, people) that may look perfectly fine in standard definition look like they do in real life in HDTV.  And let's face it--that wheel's been through a lot of wear and tear in 30 years, if it's the same wheel.

And so, the idea that's being floated around (and if what Randy says is right, may not even be implemented) is that if we're going to have to build a new wheel, why not computerize it?  What I wonder is this:  Could it end up being cheaper just to make all new wedges for the new wheel instead?

And more importantly:  How does Vanna look in HDTV?  (Yes, and Pat too.)

Kevin Prather

Wheel news
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 08:58:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 12:35 PM\'][quote name=\'GPeefalt\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 10:44 AM\']I don't understand the problem Wheel has with changing the wheel by hand.  Considering there is now a commerical between each round.  Also, what's wrong with the words "Stop Tape"?
[snapback]103321[/snapback]
[/quote]
They cost money. Not the words themselves, but the time that passes between the words "stop tape" and "roll tape".
[snapback]103323[/snapback]
[/quote]
But his other point is valid. There is always a commercial break between rounds now. Since that tape break is there anyway, just change the wheel then.

Besides, last season, they were able to switch the wheel while the Jackpot/prize plug was happening, with seconds to spare.

TimK2003

Wheel news
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2005, 09:10:13 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 05:50 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 27 2005, 02:31 PM\']I think the bigger reason for the lack of charm is that the producers took a game that is at heart a warm, friendly competition, and gave it a Millionaire-esque set that made everything look cold and sterile.  Bleh.
[/quote]

Or maybe it was just me.
[snapback]103258[/snapback]
[/quote]

And you're saying that everyone on Clark's or Davidson's Pyramids were common household names???   Like Barry Gordon... or for those non-game show fans, Henry Pollick II.

I'd say the percentage of "who the %@&! is that" celebrities that appeared on Donny's Pyramid was about the same as those on the Davidson and the later Clark Pyramids.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the strongest percentage of familiar A or B-list Pyramid celebrities on during the ABC $10K-$20K runs??

clemon79

Wheel news
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2005, 10:54:18 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 05:58 PM\']But his other point is valid. There is always a commercial break between rounds now. Since that tape break is there anyway, just change the wheel then.
[snapback]103381[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why do you assume they stop tape for that? If they can get away with it, I'm sure they would roll right through it.

clemon79

Wheel news
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2005, 10:56:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 06:10 PM\']... or for those non-game show fans, Henry Pollick II.
[/quote]
Believe it or not, a lot of people did watch "Webster".
I'd say the percentage of "who the %@&! is that" celebrities that appeared on Donny's Pyramid was about the same as those on the Davidson and the later Clark Pyramids.
I have no interest in even attempting to do the research, but I would bet you're wrong.

Kevin Prather

Wheel news
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2005, 11:53:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 05:58 PM\']But his other point is valid. There is always a commercial break between rounds now. Since that tape break is there anyway, just change the wheel then.
[snapback]103381[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why do you assume they stop tape for that? If they can get away with it, I'm sure they would roll right through it.
[snapback]103425[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, obviously it takes at least a FEW seconds to get everyone back into position and get a new puzzle loaded in. Surely enough time to slap a few new slots on the wheel if someone was really on the ball.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:53:20 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

Wheel news
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2005, 12:56:35 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:53 PM\']Well, obviously it takes at least a FEW seconds to get everyone back into position and get a new puzzle loaded in. Surely enough time to slap a few new slots on the wheel if someone was really on the ball.
[snapback]103440[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm guessing it doesn't. Pat walks back to his spot, and that's that. The "loading in", I will guess, is likely as easy as pressing / clicking "Next Puzzle".