Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery/Two & Two  (Read 13889 times)

tvrandywest

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 06:32:49 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 01:05 PM\']Paid religion got away with murder...
[snapback]103335[/snapback]
[/quote]Amen to THAT!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

sshuffield70

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »
Paid religion got away with murder--I can easily recall the Bible-thumpers on 50,000-watt red state stations who spent *at least* half of their broadcast fund-raising.

Well, I watched my pastor on TV over the weekend.  And I didn't hear him tell people to support the ministry as often as you claim.  And he's not a local preacher, either.

dzinkin

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2005, 08:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:04 PM\']
Paid religion got away with murder--I can easily recall the Bible-thumpers on 50,000-watt red state stations who spent *at least* half of their broadcast fund-raising.
Well, I watched my pastor on TV over the weekend.  And I didn't hear him tell people to support the ministry as often as you claim.  And he's not a local preacher, either.
[snapback]103367[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please quote the portion of Mark's post that referred to either religion on TV or any present religious broadcaster.  Hint: note Mark's use of the past tense.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2005, 08:29:03 PM »
I just found out today that it's now legal to have your EAS unit automatically send out weekly tests.  Now... you don't even have to have a human there to push the button.  Amazing.

I hear stories from some of the people who have worked in radio for 30+ years... saying how they had to display their "ticket" in the studio while they were on the air... how there was someone at the radio station all the time... or at least during the hours where they didn't sign off (and some stories about one particular DJ getting fired for fornicating with a member of the opposite gender on the PD's leather couch)... how radio stations actually used to cater to the area they broadcast from.  Most of that isn't happening now.  Well... my PD doesn't have a couch in his office.

Most of these guys will tell you that deregulation of radio has ruined the medium.  And... even though I've only been on the air for 7 years... I'd have to agree.  Automation... voice tracking... syndicated programming... there really isn't something as "local radio" anymore.  Sure... maybe on one of the few "mom and pop" stations... but that's about it.  Clear Channel has made sure that every radio station in every market they own stations in sounds exactly the same... like crap.  

And... with automation comes cutting jobs for jocks.  Again... I'll use Clear Channel as an example... only because I know they do this locally.  Here in the Salisbury/Ocean City, MD market, we have a local "Kiss-FM" station... just like every other Clear Channel market.  With the exception of the morning jock... the rest of the shifts are voicetracked by jocks from other markets... DC, Philly, and NYC.  And... all of the "local" news comes from Baltimore.

It's ponderous man... just ponderous.

I'm stepping down from my soapbox now... my nurse is telling me it's time for my meds and a "sleepy time nap".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:02:08 PM by bossjock967 »
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2005, 08:35:11 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 06:29 PM\']I just found out today that it's not legal to have your EAS unit automatically send out weekly tests.  Now... you don't even have to have a human there to push the button.  Amazing.
[/quote]
Not legal or now legal?

The Ol' Guy

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2005, 08:39:51 PM »
Corey, as a 35-year vet in the trenches, I'm with you. This whole thread has been fascinating for a variety of reasons, and brought back a lot of memories. Glad someone brought up the NAB Seal Of Good Practice. I was watching an old b&w tv show on disc with the seal in it's closing credits and wondered why I never saw it any more. It was part of the sign-on and sign-off of the local stations I grew up with. Thanks for the info. Especially thanks, Randy, for the background stuff.
If I didn't push the button for the weekly EAS test, I'd get no exercise at all...

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2005, 09:02:36 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:35 PM\'][quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 06:29 PM\']I just found out today that it's not legal to have your EAS unit automatically send out weekly tests.  Now... you don't even have to have a human there to push the button.  Amazing.
[/quote]
Not legal or now legal?
[snapback]103377[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's *now* legal.

Damn retarded fingers.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Kevin Prather

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2005, 09:04:51 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 07:02 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:35 PM\']
Not legal or now legal?
[snapback]103377[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's *now* legal.
[/quote]
Aha. Now it makes sense. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:05:33 PM by whoserman »

TimK2003

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 23 2005, 11:32 AM\']
But sure, being a former LIVE! booth announcer, I remember the sign-offs very well and specifically recall reading the following copy while the aforementioned NAB symbol was shown on viewers' screens:
"WJKW-TV 8 Cleveland subscribes to the NAB Code and is proud to display this seal of good practice".
[snapback]102985[/snapback]
[/quote]

All Right, Don...Curiosity has finally gotten to me.  Given that most booth announcers have been replaced by voicetracking, or pre-recorded voice-overs, does that mean you still lend your dulcet tones to Channel 8, or any well-known sponsors around Cleveland?

I'm trying to figure out which voice you were/are at Channel 8?  I know Howard Hoffman was a booth announcer years ago, and Bill Ward is now the official "Voice of Cleveland's Own".  But I do remember a few others -- I'm just trying to place the voice.

TimK2003

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 08:29 PM\']
Most of these guys will tell you that deregulation of radio has ruined the medium.  And... even though I've only been on the air for 7 years... I'd have to agree.  Automation... voice tracking... syndicated programming... there really isn't something as "local radio" anymore.  Sure... maybe on one of the few "mom and pop" stations... but that's about it.  Clear Channel has made sure that every radio station in every market they own stations in sounds exactly the same... like crap. 

[snapback]103375[/snapback]
[/quote]

Amazing how Cheap Channel will plug the hell out of the ratethemusic.com website,  (which I believe they have financial ties to--go figure!!) yet they're too scared to create and/or plug a website called ratethestation.com (where people could rate every little aspect of the evil Clear Channel empire -- not just the info the Arbitron people are looking for).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2005, 11:03:38 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 28 2005, 05:29 PM\']It's ponderous man... just ponderous.
[snapback]103375[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well played.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2005, 09:44:51 AM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:40 AM\']OK, hate to bring this up again, but I wonder about a few other things:

1) Did he ever say it on Scrabble or WoF? (I know he was said to have started it on Love Connection, but I've heard he said it on WoF)
2) Is the hand clapping before the phrase fairly permenant, or just for love connection? (an observation)
[snapback]105500[/snapback]
[/quote]

1) Does 1983 come after 1981?  If so, consider your source your bowling buddy.  It became permanent on all CW shows up to Lingo.

2) I suppose you've never heard of audio sweetening?

OK, mcfly, time to go back to the future.

BrandonFG

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2005, 09:45:55 AM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:40 AM\']OK, hate to bring this up again, but I wonder about a few other things:

1) Did he ever say it on Scrabble or WoF? (I know he was said to have started it on Love Connection, but I've heard he said it on WoF)
[/quote]

Y'know, I wanna say he did use it at least once on Scrabble. I wanna even say it was the 93 revival.

Then again, I can barely remember what I did yesterday, let alone something I saw nearly 13 yrs. ago. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2005, 09:50:03 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 09:45 AM\'][quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:40 AM\']OK, hate to bring this up again, but I wonder about a few other things:
[/quote]
Y'know, I wanna say he did use it at least once on Scrabble. I wanna even say it was the 93 revival.
[snapback]105525[/snapback]
[/quote]
And you would be correct to say it, man. I have VHS evidence of him having done so on both versions. Very sparingly, but he did do so. As for WOF, I don't even know if NBC daytime had commercial breaks of that length during his hosting tenure.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:53:04 AM by Don Howard »

aaron sica

Woolery/Two & Two
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2005, 04:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 03:46 PM\']
2) I suppose you've never heard of audio sweetening?

I mean how he claps his hands together before saying it, not anything about the audience.
[snapback]105587[/snapback]
[/quote]

He said AUDIO, not audience.