Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Are...  (Read 3031 times)

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
You Are...
« on: August 21, 2003, 03:13:20 PM »
This is the first in a series of hypothetical situations, where you are put into the shoes of a famous game show producer in a situation that may or may not ever come to pass.  To start off:

You are...

Jack Barry.  You somehow managed to survive that heart attack in Central Park in '84, and were able to recover enough to go back to work.  While you were incapacitated, however, many unpleasant feelings were brought to the forefront and Richard Kline still seceeded from Barry and Enright.  The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough were still cancelled in 1986 and 1987 respectively, unfortunately, victims of the WOF/Jeopardy! juggernaut.  You decided to retire for a bit, while Kline went on to make his infamous late 80's games, including Break The Bank (which disappointed you greatly; Gene Rayburn's talents were squandered on what might have been a first rate format had Rayburn been permitted to continue), Strike It Rich (which intrigued you), and Win Lose or Draw.  But you cringed in horror after Kline butchered your pride and joy, The Joker's Wild.  You cringe further still after your old partner, Dan Enright hires Patrick Wayne, perhaps the worst host in game show history, to host the 1990 version of Tic Tac Dough.  After these two shows fall, you look for a way to get back into the thick of things.  You come up with several new formats, which don't sell, and even try to revive some of you other projects.  But the game show drought of the 1990's just didn't let you get in a shot.  Your partner, Dan Enright, dies in the mid-90's, and you send him into the next world with a sad, heavy heart.  You rejoiced when Who Wants to be a Millionaire made headlines around the world, and were excited further by the prospect of NBC returning the show that made you infamous, Twenty-One, to the air waves.  You try to offer your services, but they want someone younger.  You are disappointed in not being able to assist in the show's production, but are happy to learn that Twenty-One does well...for a while, until NBC buries the show in bad time slots, in favor of the current \"reality\" craze, which continues to give you headaches.  You languish at home waiting for your chance to get back into the limelight.

One day, your old employee, Bob Boden, Sr. VP of Game Show Network, calls you at home and tells you that one of his hottest new executives and producers is a big fan of yours, and wants to work with you on a GSN Original.  He wants to revive one of your classic formats (your choice), and have you help produce, develop and even host it.

You did it before and you can do it again.  It's comeback time again, Jack.  What do you do?

\"Game Show Man\" Joe Van Ginkel
gameshowman@winning.com
captvangin@aol.com
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 03:14:51 PM by Game Show Man »
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
You Are...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 03:41:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 12:13 PM\'] You did it before and you can do it again.  It's comeback time again, Jack.  What do you do?
 [/quote]
 Retire. Jack was no spring chicken in '84. Why put yourself through the kind of stress that can put you in very real physical danger for a pissant cable network?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

You Are...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 04:44:13 PM »
Even network exposure may not be worth it.  Look at what Last Comic Standing did for Buddy Hackett.

tvrandywest

You Are...
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 06:10:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 02:13 PM\'] What do you do? [/quote]
 I double my Prozac and promise to never eat pizza so late at night again. I sigh with relief in realizing it's all a bad dream, and then I spend the next 20 minutes trying to pee because I'm one hundred years old and my prostate is the size of 8H.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

PeterMarshallFan

You Are...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 06:21:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 06:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 02:13 PM\'] What do you do? [/quote]
I double my Prozac and promise to never eat pizza so late at night again. I sigh with relief in realizing it's all a bad dream, and then I spend the next 20 minutes trying to pee because I'm one hundred years old and my prostate is the size of 8H.
 [/quote]
 Randy, that should be part of your warmup routine if it isn't already. ;-)

Brandon Brooks

You Are...
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 07:25:05 PM »
What do you do?
Say thanks, but no thanks to hosting.  I would probably provide input if they asked, nothing too rigorous.  But other than that, I would say \"do what you want.\"

and then I spend the next 20 minutes trying to pee because I'm one hundred years old and my prostate is the size of 8H.
... And I would have to overcome this problem as well.  I'd probably ask for the heart attack.

Brandon Brooks

Jim

You Are...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 07:58:09 PM »
I see that, at this stage in my life, it is too late and I am too old for an on-camera job.  Hell, TJW was getting to be a grind in 84.  I agree to an employment contract to serve as an advisor / consultant to GSN.  I suggest he revive the Tom Kennedy 1976 Break the Bank format relying primarily on comedians to fill the seats.  As Bob Stewart said long ago (not adverse to copying good advice) you warn the comedians that the main thing is the game but to keep it peppy and lively.  I also offer my services to be featured in commercials for GSN.  I would serve as a friendly face people remember.

Rhudson765

You Are...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 09:58:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 02:13 PM\'] This is the first in a series of hypothetical situations, where you are put into the shoes of a famous game show producer in a situation that may or may not ever come to pass.  To start off:

You are...

Jack Barry.  You somehow managed to survive that heart attack in Central Park in '84, and were able to recover enough to go back to work.  While you were incapacitated, however, many unpleasant feelings were brought to the forefront and Richard Kline still seceeded from Barry and Enright.  The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough were still cancelled in 1986 and 1987 respectively, unfortunately, victims of the WOF/Jeopardy! juggernaut.  You decided to retire for a bit, while Kline went on to make his infamous late 80's games, including Break The Bank (which disappointed you greatly; Gene Rayburn's talents were squandered on what might have been a first rate format had Rayburn been permitted to continue), Strike It Rich (which intrigued you), and Win Lose or Draw.  But you cringed in horror after Kline butchered your pride and joy, The Joker's Wild.  You cringe further still after your old partner, Dan Enright hires Patrick Wayne, perhaps the worst host in game show history, to host the 1990 version of Tic Tac Dough.  After these two shows fall, you look for a way to get back into the thick of things.  You come up with several new formats, which don't sell, and even try to revive some of you other projects.  But the game show drought of the 1990's just didn't let you get in a shot.  Your partner, Dan Enright, dies in the mid-90's, and you send him into the next world with a sad, heavy heart.  You rejoiced when Who Wants to be a Millionaire made headlines around the world, and were excited further by the prospect of NBC returning the show that made you infamous, Twenty-One, to the air waves.  You try to offer your services, but they want someone younger.  You are disappointed in not being able to assist in the show's production, but are happy to learn that Twenty-One does well...for a while, until NBC buries the show in bad time slots, in favor of the current "reality" craze, which continues to give you headaches.  You languish at home waiting for your chance to get back into the limelight.

One day, your old employee, Bob Boden, Sr. VP of Game Show Network, calls you at home and tells you that one of his hottest new executives and producers is a big fan of yours, and wants to work with you on a GSN Original.  He wants to revive one of your classic formats (your choice), and have you help produce, develop and even host it.

You did it before and you can do it again.  It's comeback time again, Jack.  What do you do?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
gameshowman@winning.com
captvangin@aol.com [/quote]

This is the first in a series of hypothetical situations, where you are put into the shoes of a famous game show producer in a situation that may or may not ever come to pass.  To start off:

Ok.

You are...

Jack Barry.  You somehow managed to survive that heart attack in Central Park in '84, and were able to recover enough to go back to work.  While you were incapacitated, however, many unpleasant feelings were brought to the forefront and Richard Kline still seceeded from Barry and Enright.  The Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough were still cancelled in 1986 and 1987 respectively, unfortunately, victims of the WOF/Jeopardy! juggernaut.

.  You decided to retire for a bit, while Kline went on to make his infamous late 80's games, including Break The Bank (which disappointed you greatly; Gene Rayburn's talents were squandered on what might have been a first rate format had Rayburn been permitted to continue), Strike It Rich (which intrigued you), and Win Lose or Draw.  

But you cringed in horror after Kline butchered your pride and joy, The Joker's Wild.  

Now this makes no sense! If Jack Barry were still alive, he would own the rights to TJW, os how or why would he let Kline have them. Remember that Jack's sons co produced TJW '90.

If Jack were still alive, he would probably produce a version that was more faithful to the classic version.

[/QUOTE]You cringe further still after your old partner, Dan Enright hires Patrick Wayne, perhaps the worst host in game show history, to host the 1990 version of Tic Tac Dough.  

And Jack and Dan would probably we working together.

You rejoiced when Who Wants to be a Millionaire made headlines around the world, and were excited further by the prospect of NBC returning the show that made you infamous, Twenty-One, to the air waves.  

Why would Jack want Twenty One to ever come bac, espeically he and Dan Enright spent the rest of their lives trying to get people to forget about it.

Have your sons take over the company and offer advice from the sidelines.

zachhoran

You Are...
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2003, 10:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Rhudson765\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 08:58 PM\']

Why would Jack want Twenty One to ever come bac, espeically he and Dan Enright spent the rest of their lives trying to get people to forget about it.

[/quote]
 Barry and Enright DID try to bring 21 back in 1982 and did a pilot for it, when Jack was still alive. Maingame format was similar as I recall, but they added a luck-based bonus round.