Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Simple GS Question  (Read 3527 times)

J.R.

A Simple GS Question
« on: August 20, 2003, 11:37:02 PM »
Sometimes my family get confused when I show them \"$1M Chance of a Lifetime\" and inform them it was the first American show to offer a top prize of $1,000,000. But I'm starting to have doubts myself.

So, here it is. I don't want any \"Daytime/Nighttime\" spacifics or any of that. Simply...

Was Jim Lange's \"$1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime\" the FIRST American Game Show to offer a top prize of $1 Million ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Kevin Prather

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 12:07:57 AM »
yes, but it was kinda whacked out.

The contestants were couples, as you know. I think i read somewhere that the first couple to win won $1,000,000. Sometime after that, they changed it to offer about $900,000 cash, plus cars, trips, and other stuff. I could be dead wrong, though.

TheInquisitiveOne

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 12:56:57 AM »
The contestants were couples, as you know. I think i read somewhere that the first couple to win won $1,000,000. Sometime after that, they changed it to offer about $900,000 cash, plus cars, trips, and other stuff. I could be dead wrong, though.

Actually, you are spot on. In fact, our own Chris Lambert! has the site that I think you are talking about...

Rules of the $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime, Courtesy of Chris Lambert!

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 10:54:09 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This is the Way.

Kevin Prather

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 01:19:59 AM »
yep. that's it! :)

Matt Ottinger

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 10:53:40 AM »
The asterisk to the question, though, is that the million dollar prize (or however much of it was cash) was paid out in the form of an annuity.  The couples that won received (and, apparently, are continuing to receive) $40,000 annual payments spread out over 25 years.

The first game show to simply pay a million dollars to the winner (less taxes, of course) would be Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.  As has been discussed here already, the current syndicated version of WWTBAM has reverted back to annuity payments, but the original series payouts were lump sums.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 12:39:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 21 2003, 09:53 AM\']The asterisk to the question, though, is that the million dollar prize (or however much of it was cash) was paid out in the form of an annuity.  The couples that won received (and, apparently, are continuing to receive) $40,000 annual payments spread out over 25 years.[/quote]
Considering that Telepictures is now part of AOL Time Warner, despite that parent corporation's recent woes I have every reason to believe that the annuity checks have come at the same time every year without fail and will continue to come until the end of the annuity period.

(Meanwhile, the format is owned by Carlton's Action Time division, who has staged the format in the UK as \"All Clued Up\" while using the \"Chance of a Lifetime\" title for their own big-money quiz creation (which had that unfortunate week on Fox in 2000 that also killed off \"Greed\" and set the stage for the beginning of the end of the Great Quiz Show Revival of 1999-2000).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A Simple GS Question
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 01:08:46 PM »
Considering that Telepictures is now part of AOL Time Warner, despite that parent corporation's recent woes I have every reason to believe that the annuity checks have come at the same time every year without fail and will continue to come until the end of the annuity period.

I very much doubt TW-AOL administers the annuity.

Matt Ottinger

A Simple GS Question
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 01:22:43 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that the payments aren't still being made (although, to be honest, I've wondered about that in the past).  I just wanted to point out the difference between winning a million dollars in an annuity and winning a million dollars all at once, as the ABC WWTBAM winners did.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.