Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex Trebek - Huckster?  (Read 3264 times)

tvwxman

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« on: November 13, 2005, 07:44:26 AM »
Flipping channels between news segments this morning , I came across Alex hawking the Sonic toothbrush... now I know he's done plenty of commercials before, but this one had him behind a desk speaking at length on the virtues of cleaner teeth..... All that was missing was a really bright colored sweater, and an audience shouting "set it, and forget it!".

I don't have a problem with him doing this, but is he THAT hard up for cash? Is the Jep contract not paying the bills? This just seems a bit ..... odd....

Then again, ethics be damned, I'd shill in a second.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

rugrats1

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:44 AM\']I don't have a problem with him doing this, but is he THAT hard up for cash? Is the Jep contract not paying the bills? This just seems a bit ..... odd....
[/quote]

Of course, Dick Clark is a millionaire many times over, yet he also did infomercials occasionally, like for greatest hits albums, and one he did for rechargeable alkaline batteries.

Don Howard

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:08:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:44 AM\']he THAT hard up for cash? Is the Jep contract not paying the bills? This just seems a bit ..... odd....
[snapback]102128[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not that odd. He's got a kid starting college in a few years. This could be buckage for that fund. Plus, even if I was in my 14th year of hosting The Drinking For Dollars/-Bing For Apples Hour and had leventy billion dollars in my account and someone offered me the chance at a few thou more to come into a studio for a couple of hours on my day off, I'd be there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 01:09:07 PM by Don Howard »

Kevin Prather

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »
Hell, some people do this sort of thing as a public service. When Bill Gates makes an appearance on a kids' show like Nick News or something, chances are it's not for the money.

Brandon Brooks

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 03:28:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 02:14 PM\']Hell, some people do this sort of thing as a public service. When Bill Gates makes an appearance on a kids' show like Nick News or something, chances are it's not for the money.
[snapback]102145[/snapback]
[/quote]
It is a crime against humanity for individuals using any other toothbrush 'cept for Sonic.

Weirdly enough, I was thinking about picking one up...

Brandon Brooks

joshg

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:18:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 10:08 AM\']even if I was in my 14th year of hosting The Drinking For Dollars/-Bing For Apples Hour and had leventy billion dollars in my account and someone offered me the chance at a few thou more to come into a studio for a couple of hours on my day off, I'd be there.
[snapback]102141[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hear that show is coming back. With fishbowls, nonetheless.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

GS Warehouse

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:25:38 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 14 2005, 06:18 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 10:08 AM\']...The Drinking For Dollars/-Bing For Apples Hour...
[snapback]102141[/snapback]
[/quote]I hear that show is coming back. With fishbowls, nonetheless.
[snapback]102198[/snapback]
[/quote]
And Alex Trebek is hosting that, too.

Alex: ...and we're going to put something in those fishbowls...fish!

Could be worse, it could be Joe Rogan...

Joe: ...and we're going to put something in those fishbowls...live pirahnas [sic]!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 10:26:38 AM by GS Warehouse »

mystery7

Alex Trebek - Huckster?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »
I'd still take Vanna White's version of the Sonic infomercial over Alex's any day.