Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Cullen NFL Special  (Read 2547 times)

Tim L

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:15:59 AM »
To Matt O.  And anyone else who might be interested:

As some are aware, I have been  collecting Vintage TV Guide listings from the 1950's-Early 1970's.  I came across a listing for a show Bill Cullen did that was aired over WEWS-TV 5 in Cleveland in December 1964.

Saturday, December 19, 1964

4:30 PM 5 NFL Special-Bill Cullen

Bill Cullen Interviews  Willie Wood (Green Bay Packers) Johnny Unitas (Baltimore Colts) and Sonny Randle (Minnesota Vikings)

I know from Matt's Bill Cullen Website that he did a limited amount of sports in the 1960's mostly on NBC.  As Channel 5 was an ABC affiliate,  i wonder if Matt might be aware of this program and whether it was a one time syndicated special.  For the record, WJW-8 CBS had Mr. Ed KYW-3 NBC had Local Interview program Panorama and WAKR-49 ABC/Akron was in the middle of the Bluebonnet Bowl Football game (Mississippi/Tulsa)

Jimmy Owen

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:18:39 AM »
I have the Eastern New England TVG edition for that week and all 4 of the ABC affiliates listed had the Bluebonnet Bowl as well.  No station in N.E. carried the Bill Cullen special on that day.  Of course, at that time TPIR was on ABC daily, so it's possible the show was a delayed ABC show on Channel 5, or as you mentioned, syndicated.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 08:23:39 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
Very cool information that I did not have, Tim.  Thanks very much.  When I get home, it'll be interesting to see what my TVG shows for that weekend.

Meanwhile, I've recently been told that episodes of Bill's Inside NBC program (which despite its name was only seen locally in NYC) are in the Library of Congress holdings.  They're in there getting dry and britle with almost no hope of ever being seen by anybody, but they're in there.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Tim L

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 03:25 PM\']Very cool information that I did not have, Tim.  Thanks very much.  When I get home, it'll be interesting to see what my TVG shows for that weekend.

Meanwhile, I've recently been told that episodes of Bill's Inside NBC program (which despite its name was only seen locally in NYC) are in the Library of Congress holdings.  They're in there getting dry and britle with almost no hope of ever being seen by anybody, but they're in there.
[snapback]102388[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is sad to hear Matt:Just brings to mind what other items are In the LOC-and other places that are just wasting away..and not just gameshows..

mmb5

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »
Found this that may help from the Doylestown Daily Intelligencer for 26 September 1964:

1:00 PM
(10) NFL Pro Football Special -- each week host Bill Cullen meets a circle of football professionals.  The pro star panel is led by the Giants head coach Allie Sherman.  This week's panel: Tommy Mason, Vikings; Jack Pardee, Rams; Paul Hornung: Packers; Dick Modzelewski: Browns; Joe Schmidt: Lions.

10 was the CBS affiliate in Philly at the time.  Since the Eagles were home that weekend, no game on TV (that was the rule then, no substitute game, no Eagles, nothing).  This was also a year before NFL Films started (that was in '65), so I have no idea who did this.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

Bill Cullen NFL Special
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 03:37:36 PM »
Found another listing for the show in TVG for 11/22/64-CBS affiliate WHEN-TV Channel 5 in Syracuse aired it titled "Pro Football Discussion."  Among the guests that day, Jim Brown of the Browns and future Bob Stewart game show host Jerry Kramer of the Packers. The show aired at 1:15pm just before "NFL Today" at 1:45pm.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.