Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares  (Read 5286 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Hollywood Squares
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:22:13 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 14 2005, 10:09 AM\']And on the original, where Randall was always immediate and confident was in opera.  However, the writers would always include a multiple choice in the opera question on purpose, so that the regular panelist on "Texaco's Opera Quiz" on the Metropolitan Opera Saturday broadcasts could give Marshall a look of disdain as he whipped his dark glasses back on (because of the lights, or so he said).

And on occasion:

RANDALL:  I haven't the slightest idea.

MARSHALL:  THIS IS A GAME OF BLUFF, YOU SILLY GOOSE!

Randall would usually come up with an answer (and perhaps be correct), but he did like jerking game show hosts around--just ask Dick Clark.
[snapback]102218[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's not to say that Randall didn't come up with a quip on occasion.  During a syndie ep in the 1979-80 season, Marshall asked him a question about Debby Boone.  While I can't for the life of me remember the question, I do recall the joke line:

"She threw up her milk."  

And the McKenzie operator was on his game--he nailed the reaction.  I'm sure the last thing he expected was for Randall to actually tell a joke in that scenario.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 09:35:02 PM »
I recall on Bergeron's Squares, the guy from "Sports Night"--the least funny sitcom ever--who later turned up on "West Wing"--one of the funnier hour-long dramas ever--didn't bluff or offer anything slightly amusing or clever the whole week. And they kept him in a corner square.

ChuckNet

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 09:47:47 PM »
Garth Brooks never offered any jokes, etc. during the coupla times he did Bergeron's version.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

calliaume

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 14 2005, 09:35 PM\']I recall on Bergeron's Squares, the guy from "Sports Night"--the least funny sitcom ever
[snapback]102257[/snapback]
[/quote]
Lot of people out there who disagree.  Especially if you never saw United States, Larry Gelbart's late-70s unfunny dramedy (comma?).

Going back to the original question, I don't think Rosie was invited back often -- likely the location issue being the primary problem.

A celebrity can't be afraid to bluff.  If they are, the game doesn't work.  At the same time, it's best to have plausible bluff answers written out for them for that purpose.  Heck, contestants on Break the Bank knew one of the two celebrities had to be lying -- this isn't all that different.

Ian Wallis

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 09:00:24 AM »
Heck, contestants on Break the Bank knew one of the two celebrities had to be lying -- this isn't all that different.

In early episodes of "Break the Bank" that GSN ran, there were a few instances where both celebrities gave the wrong answer and the question had to be thrown out.  I've wondered why that occured - maybe their card wasn't marked clearly enough(?)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 11:58:20 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Nov 14 2005, 10:12 PM\']Especially if you never saw United States, Larry Gelbart's late-70s unfunny dramedy (comma?).
[snapback]102261[/snapback]
[/quote]

Point taken, although Beau Bridges would have been way funnier on the Squares than this dork.

uncamark

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 12:03:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 15 2005, 08:00 AM\']
Heck, contestants on Break the Bank knew one of the two celebrities had to be lying -- this isn't all that different.

In early episodes of "Break the Bank" that GSN ran, there were a few instances where both celebrities gave the wrong answer and the question had to be thrown out.  I've wondered why that occured - maybe their card wasn't marked clearly enough(?)
[snapback]102288[/snapback]
[/quote]

Early on, it would seem to me that they tried putting several answers on the card and letting the celebs pick which one to use.  When too many instances like what you referred to happened, they probably then went to pre-writing all of the answers--and giving only *one* answer for each celeb's card.  (It does seem to me that the disclaimer didn't state that that all answers were pre-written until perhaps halfway in the run--until then, it was just that material was fed to the celebs.)

ChuckNet

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 06:44:28 PM »
Lot of people out there who disagree. Especially if you never saw United States, Larry Gelbart's late-70s unfunny dramedy (comma?).

He just couldn't get a hit after M*A*S*H...the yr after it was launched, CBS passed on an MTM vehicle titled Bachelor at Law, which would've starred the late John Ritter, in favor of a supposedly "fall-down funny" sitcom about a black military unit titled Roll Out...it lasted 13 wks.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 09:01:19 AM »
He just couldn't get a hit after M*A*S*H...the yr after it was launched, CBS passed on an MTM vehicle titled Bachelor at Law, which would've starred the late John Ritter, in favor of a supposedly "fall-down funny" sitcom about a black military unit titled Roll Out...it lasted 13 wks.

Yes, that was paired with "Calluci's Dept" on Friday nights, and frequent game show panelist Stu Gilliam was a regular on that show.  On his "Match Game '73" appearance from just before the show went on the air, he seemed excited about the prospects of that show.  LIttle did he know...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!