Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Difficult Pyramid categories?  (Read 12438 times)

Kevin Prather

Difficult Pyramid categories?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 05:40 PM\']The most difficult category I can think of is "Things that are Enshrined".
[snapback]101655[/snapback]
[/quote]

I LOVED how Keif Ferrendini played that category though. Starting off with religious relics, then moving on to Hall of Fame books. There's only one thing it can be. Things that are enshrined.

As for perceived, would "Extra-sensory thought" be accepted?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2005, 10:10:45 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 09:32 PM\']As for perceived, would "Extra-sensory thought" be accepted?[/quote]

I don't know if you'd get zapped, but in that case, the thought *is* the perception. Extra-sensory information?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 10:13:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 08:10 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 09:32 PM\']As for perceived, would "Extra-sensory thought" be accepted?[/quote]

I don't know if you'd get zapped, but in that case, the thought *is* the perception. Extra-sensory information?
[snapback]101679[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thought is perception, and perception is something that is perceived. Not a synonym, I don't think.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 11:39:18 PM »
Ok, this category wasn't used. We were just talking about it in Palace, but boy, is it a doozy.

+-------------------+
|.......THINGS......|
|.....THAT ARE.....|
|LACKADAISICAL|
+-------------------+

Obscure enough to really struggle on, but common enough where if faced with the word, you'd have at least heard of the word.

Discuss and cuss.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 11:39:59 PM by whoserman »

Jay Temple

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 12:42:41 AM »
"A thinking des Cartes" is perfect for THINGS THAT EXIST.
If they buzzed "a Great Lake" for THINGS THAT ARE SUPERIOR--and IMHO they were wrong to do so--they surely would have buzzed "Rockefeller's oil" for THINGS THAT ARE STANDARD.  But how about "a statistician's deviation"?

I know I saw THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE 60'S a couple times, and I don't remember anyone getting it.  My clue was always, "People threw out their 1959 calendars."  If they wanted a really tough one, say for Tournament Week, they could have used THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN 19XX.  (I actually did one with my wife, but it was gettable because the year in question was the year we got married.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:43:06 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 12:46:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 10:42 PM\']I know I saw THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE 60'S a couple times, and I don't remember anyone getting it.  My clue was always, "People threw out their 1959 calendars."
[/quote]

And if the judge doesn't shit nickels over that clue, you might be on Donny-mid. :-)

Jay Temple

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 01:05:13 AM »
Are you saying they'd take it or buzz it, or just that they'd have a tough call on their hands?  (I figure I'm okay as long as it just says IN THE 60'S, rather than IN THE 1960'S.)  Is it any different than if I listed a bunch of notable events specifically from 1960?  ("Kennedy beat Nixon.  ...  The World Series ended on a home run.")
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 01:12:23 AM »
I dunno. It seems to me that whenever a person gave that long a clue on a "Things..." category, that they were asking for a buzz, and usually got it.

Then again, maybe not.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 02:02:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 9 2005, 01:05 AM\']The World Series ended on a home run.
[/quote]
Prepositional phrase.  BZZZ!
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 02:34:48 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 8 2005, 09:46 PM\']And if the judge doesn't shit nickels over that clue, you might be on Donny-mid. :-)
[snapback]101786[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm tired, but the phrases "shit nickels" and "Donny-mid" just strike me as really funny. :)

Well played, Kev. Well played.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:40 PM »
*takes a bow*

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 10:46:23 PM »
From the time I remember seeing it, it was IT HAPPENED IN THE 60s, and the judges were lenient about the list items, as with your WHY and MIGHT SAY categories.

The problem with that one was that the giver's list was mainly comprised of things that happened in the *70s*. Dick shouted "read it again!", but I think the giver read it right and was just not quite an A student in History class.

=====

I think you have to have some limits in coming up with tough Pyramid categories. I could probably think of a dozen really long and rarely-used words to stick after THINGS THAT ARE, none of which would be gettable on the show except through blind luck--but that's not as much fun, I don't think.

(How's about THINGS THAT ARE DEMONSTRATED?)

=====

I think "a Great Lake" got buzzed for THINGS THAT ARE SUPERIOR because the "there's a word connection here" aspect of the clue overshadowed the "this is a valid item on a list of things that are superior" aspect, in the judge's opinion. I agree that the judge's opinion is wrong, though--the lake was named that due to its being superior in size to its companions (I'm assuming).

(THINGS THAT ARE EERIE?)

=====

I think the only way you were going to win money on Donny-mid some days was if the judge *did* have some spare change disagreeing with his stomach.

(INTERNET ACRONYMS THAT ABBREVIATE PROFANITY)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Kevin Prather

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 10:50:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Nov 9 2005, 08:46 PM\']
I think "a Great Lake" got buzzed for THINGS THAT ARE SUPERIOR because the "there's a word connection here" aspect of the clue overshadowed the "this is a valid item on a list of things that are superior" aspect, in the judge's opinion. [/quote]

Such as "Betty" for "Things that are white," or "Mayim Bialik" for "Things that blossom."

Fedya

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »
Robert Hutchison asked:

A door-to-door salesman's vacuum cleaner?  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

CarbonCpy

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 01:55:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 9 2005, 11:20 PM\']Robert Hutchison asked:

A door-to-door salesman's vacuum cleaner?  :-)
[snapback]101886[/snapback]
[/quote]

A new washing detergent?  A hippy's opinion?  An animal testing facility?

(EDIT:  Every time a thread like this comes up, I'm reminded of Mad Magazine's "Really Tough Categories We'd Like to See on The $100,000 Pyramid."  The premise being that they thought it was too easy.

"Differences between Rambos I, II, and III"  being the one that immediately springs to mind.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:03:20 AM by CarbonCpy »