Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More bad news for Pax...  (Read 3201 times)

dzinkin

More bad news for Pax...
« on: August 20, 2003, 12:06:09 AM »
So much for expecting new episodes of Supermarket Sweep or Shop 'Til You Drop, at least from Pax...

http://www.tvweek.com/news/web081903.html

For some amusement, here's the bio to which the article refers...

http://www.pax.tv/about/bios/jeff-sagansky.cfm

He \"greenlighted\" Weakest Link?  Funny, I thought NBC did that.

- David

Matt Ottinger

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 12:55:36 PM »
Ironically, the news article specifically gets that Weakest Link point correct, even though the bio doesn't:

Mr. Sagansky is credited with putting on the air such shows as \"Doc,\" \"Sue Thomas: F.B. Eye,\" \"Just Cause,\" \"It's a Miracle\" and reruns of \"Weakest Link.\"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 02:43:02 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 11:06 PM\']So much for expecting new episodes of Supermarket Sweep or Shop 'Til You Drop, at least from Pax...

http://www.tvweek.com/news/web081903.html
[/quote]
Of course, Pax was heading for trouble from the moment Sagansky stepped down as CEO in December and Pax closed down their West Coast offices.  Someone like Sagansky was needed to give the network whatever status it could get and with a huckster like Paxson firmly in charge and away from the television industry's nerve center, it's not surprising that they're having problems.

If Pax is still around a year from now, I'll be surprised.

brianhenke

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 04:20:31 PM »
And of course, David Ruprecht has been asking people on his website to save Sweep.

Brian

Start spreading the word?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

whampyl03

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 04:48:36 PM »
Wow.  $915,000,000+ in debt.  Geez, something must have gone very, very wrong.  I don't know too much about the PAX network, Can somebody elaborate on how in the world they got so far into the red?

Hopefully Supermarket Sweep can find a steady home somewhere.  It has a heck of a fan following, and could probably pull in relatively high nielsons on any channel.  The show doesn't deserve to die yet.

Jimmy Owen

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 04:56:19 PM »
It couldn't have been the prize budget on \"Reel to Reel.\"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PeterMarshallFan

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 05:50:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 20 2003, 04:56 PM\'] prize budget on "Reel to Reel." [/quote]
 Oxymoron.

Robert Hutchinson

More bad news for Pax...
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 01:01:58 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Aug 20 2003, 03:48 PM\']Wow.  $915,000,000+ in debt.  Geez, something must have gone very, very wrong.  I don't know too much about the PAX network, Can somebody elaborate on how in the world they got so far into the red?[/quote]
Many, many factors. There were already six networks vying for affiliates when Pax came along; Pax's rules for its programming (arguably) limit its audience more than other networks'; Pax has given Billy Ray Cyrus a series--just to name the first three that came to mind.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin