Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: VH1's "I Love the '70s"  (Read 8085 times)

johnnya2k3

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« on: August 19, 2003, 10:13:34 PM »
This week, VH1 is looking back at 1970's pop culture with the \"I Love the '70s\" miniseries; they've already done the '80s earlier this year. Tonight they'll be at 1972 and 1973, meaning that TPIR and/or Match Game might be on there.

I don't know if they're going to include Family Feud or The Gong Show when they get to 1976, but I'm sure Battle of the Network Stars and of course SNL will be mentioned. But then again, I came into this world in '78.

Jonathan Allen

SimpsonGeek

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 10:20:43 PM »
Here ars the Gameshows they will do:

1970- The Newlywed Game

1973- The Dating Game

1974- Let's Make a Deal

1976- Family Feud and The Gong Show

1977- Battle of the Network Stars

1978- The Price is Right (Can't figure out why they're not doing it in '72)

beatlefreak84

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 10:28:11 PM »
I can see doing FF and GS in '76, but what about the rest of them?  They have no rhyme or reason to them, especially TPIR!

Well, I guess I'm just happy that they didn't look them over except for 1975 (26 games on throughout the year, and that's not significant?).  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

inturnaround

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 11:17:18 PM »
They're obviously not doing things by dates of debut (otherwise they would have skipped Newlywed and Dating Games completely) but rather where they can fit if they were popular over a number of years.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

johnnya2k3

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 11:32:03 PM »
1978- The Price is Right (Can't figure out why they're not doing it in '72)

Which explains why TPIR started hitting their stride in '78 after Yolanda \"came on down and they came on out\".

And yes, many other shows including Charlie's Angels, Saturday Night Live, the ABC comedies, and hopefully 60 Minutes (they were like the #1 show in the late '70s) will be covered as well.

But it's going to be till 2010 or so when they do \"I Love the '90s.\" Don't get me started on what they're gonna cover.

uncamark

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 03:10:23 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 09:28 PM\']I can see doing FF and GS in '76, but what about the rest of them?  They have no rhyme or reason to them, especially TPIR![/quote]
Precedent--in \"I Love the 80s\" they didn't get around to \"Wheel\" until 1987.

I suspect that they fit stuff in based on what they have to put in each hour.  With TV shows, there seems to be the feeling that as long as they're included in *a* year that the show was on the air, that's OK.

And as some have pointed out, \"Sesame Street\" actually premiered in 1969 and \"Mister Rogers\" in 1968 (nationally), but they were both in the 1970 episode.

inturnaround

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 04:15:15 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 10:32 PM\'] But it's going to be till 2010 or so when they do "I Love the '90s." Don't get me started on what they're gonna cover. [/quote]
 The BBC, which originated the idea of the \"I Love the\" series, has already done an \"I Love the 90s\" series. So, it'll be sooner, rather than the later you suggest that it'll be made stateside.

When I was over in the UK a few weeks ago, I did see an episode of \"I Love the 70s\" (1974). It's amazing how much pop culture we really didn't get at all from them.

I'm looking forward to the \"I Love the 80s Strike Back\" coming this fall! Maybe they'll do something on the PYL scandal.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Don Howard

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 04:53:11 PM »
But it's going to be till 2010 or so when they do \"I Love the '90s.\" Don't get me started on what they're gonna cover.

I believe it's clear as crystal what their top story will be. It'll be the moment when Pat Finn took The Joker's Wild out of the closet and admitted to the world what it had been suspecting all along. That TJW is \"a game of definitions\".

johnnya2k3

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 04:55:24 PM »
And as some have pointed out, \"Sesame Street\" actually premiered in 1969 and \"Mister Rogers\" in 1968 (nationally), but they were both in the 1970 episode.

That's because both shows premiered on NET, and that of course would become PBS in 1970.

The Electric Company and the original Zoom were featured, but don't expect Circle Square to show up. BTW, Circle Square was a very popular christian children's show from Canada (not by CBN, but Crossroads, the ministry who produces \"100 Huntley Street\") which was shown stateside on TBN. Jillian Barberie may probably have a memory or two about this 'cause she's from Canada. Heck, she might remember the theme song!

Jonathan Allen

jalman

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 05:46:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 20 2003, 04:53 PM\']
But it's going to be till 2010 or so when they do "I Love the '90s." Don't get me started on what they're gonna cover.

I believe it's clear as crystal what their top story will be. It'll be the moment when Pat Finn took The Joker's Wild out of the closet and admitted to the world what it had been suspecting all along. That TJW is "a game of definitions". [/quote]
 No, no, no...we'll see the triumphant rise of one the most influential emcee's ever...Patrick Wayne.

Pat Finn may be the emcee of the decade, but even he would have to bow to the presence that is the Son of Duke~!

(going back to Free-4-All room)

Clarence

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 09:41:06 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Aug 20 2003, 01:55 PM\'] Jillian Barberie may probably have a memory or two about this 'cause she's from Canada. Heck, she might remember the theme song!
 [/quote]
 If Jillian Barbarie can remember beyond what she had for breakfast most days, her mental capacities are far beyond anything _I'VE_ ever given her credit for.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 06:50:37 PM »
If Jillian Barbarie can remember beyond what she had for breakfast most days, her mental capacities are far beyond anything _I'VE_ ever given her credit for.

LOL...did she even manage to get a contestant to the top of the WC in any of her Pyramid eps this past season?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious \"Chuckie Baby\")

PeterMarshallFan

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 06:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 22 2003, 06:50 PM\']

LOL...did she even manage to get a contestant to the top of the WC in any of her Pyramid eps this past season?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious \"Chuckie Baby\") [/quote]
I'd like to know that too, but is there anyone who HASN'T beaten the WC this season?

Sony REALLY should fix up that WC for next season.....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 06:55:26 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

johnnya2k3

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2003, 09:49:43 PM »
Going back on topic now...since \"I Love The '70s\" covered a lot of kids' shows from that decade, I'm hoping \"I Love the '80s Strikes Back\" will bring up \"The Great Space Coaster\" and \"Inspector Gadget\", as well as that PYL scandal.

Maybe GSC could bring in a new generation of viewers if Noggin shows them in reruns, just like Trio did recently with Battle of the Network Stars. Same goes to Swans Crossing, if Fremantle may have bought the rights from Sachs.

Jonathan Allen

JMFabiano

VH1's "I Love the '70s"
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2003, 06:21:25 PM »
I saw the 1976 edition which mentions GS and FF.  And if you haven't seen it, somehow I don't think you should rush.  The Feud segment was especially bad, with practically everyone making drunk jokes at the expense of Richard Dawson.  They even managed to slam Ray Combs once as well.  

The Gong Show seg. was a little better, but not devoid of similar cluelessness.  One of the B-level celebrities providing commentary brought up the, well, \"B-level celebrities\" who were panelists, and shortly thereafter Jamie Farr was mentioned.  Hello?  There's this little show that was around in the very decade you're covering...I believe it was called M*A*S*H.  I wonder whatever became of it?

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.