Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "I Love the 80's: 3-D"  (Read 11977 times)

Kevin Prather

"I Love the 80's: 3-D"
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 08:04:35 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 04:45 PM\']What I did not like, was the people talking about the 80's.  Can't those people find ANYTHING good to say about.....ANYTHING?
[snapback]100750[/snapback]
[/quote]

They aren't getting paid to say good things. They are there to make fun of the topic at hand. That's the whole point.

cacLA8383

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 09:08:31 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 06:45 PM\'][quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Oct 27 2005, 08:14 PM\']Well, as I type this, Indeed there were clips of Love Connection featured on the 1986 one. Chuck Woolery of course doing his trademark "2 and 2" gesture. The segment lasted about 2-3 minutes and it'll make musicman very happy.
[snapback]100608[/snapback]
[/quote]

It did. :)  Also the UNSOLVED MYSTERIES and RESCUE 911 segments were to die for! (No pun intended)

What I did not like, was the people talking about the 80's.  Can't those people find ANYTHING good to say about.....ANYTHING?
[snapback]100750[/snapback]
[/quote]

I guess musicman hasn't seen the two prior I Love the 80's before this current incarnation before. I wouldn't mind seeing a new incarnation of the 90's one soon, however. There's a lot of us on the boards that can call the 90's our growing years.

[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 07:04 PM\']They aren't getting paid to say good things. They are there to make fun of the topic at hand. That's the whole point.
[snapback]100751[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, you can never see too much of Michael Ian Black in these things.....good lord.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 09:10:52 PM by cacLA8383 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 09:43:17 PM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 09:08 PM\']Yeah, you can never see too much of Michael Ian Black in these things.....good lord.
[snapback]100761[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't tell that to Hal Sparks or Mo Rocca...they might get jealous. ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cacLA8383

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 09:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 08:43 PM\'][quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 09:08 PM\']Yeah, you can never see too much of Michael Ian Black in these things.....good lord.
[/quote]

Don't tell that to Hal Sparks or Mo Rocca...they might get jealous. ;)
[snapback]100762[/snapback]
[/quote]

True. They're more tolerable to watch than Michael Ian Black, anyway.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 11:31:55 PM »
Michael Ian Black is like Ted McGinley...most everything he touches turns to crap.  That's what you get when you take on the role of "Johnny Bluejeans" I guess.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 12:49:36 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 10:31 PM\']Michael Ian Black is like Ted McGinley...most everything he touches turns to crap.  That's what you get when you take on the role of "Johnny Bluejeans" I guess.
[snapback]100764[/snapback]
[/quote]

"The State" and "Stella" would very much like to have a word with you.

musicman

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 12:52:51 AM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 08:08 PM\']I guess musicman hasn't seen the two prior I Love the 80's before this current incarnation before. I wouldn't mind seeing a new incarnation of the 90's one soon, however. There's a lot of us on the boards that can call the 90's our growing years.
[/quote]

I've seen every single "I LOVE...." series on VH1.  The 1980's just seems to be the favorite decade to pick on.

There have been three 80's shows, two 90's shows, and one 70's.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 01:30:42 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 11:49 PM\']"The State" and "Stella" would very much like to have a word with you.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess "Stella" would be crap even without Black. :-P
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 11:52 PM\']I've seen every single "I LOVE...." series on VH1.  The 1980's just seems to be the favorite decade to pick on.

There have been three 80's shows, two 90's shows, and one 70's.
[snapback]100766[/snapback]
[/quote]
They were the first series they bought out, and more than likely the most popular.  They aren't "picking" on the 80's.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 05:25:50 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 09:49 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 10:31 PM\']Michael Ian Black is like Ted McGinley...most everything he touches turns to crap.  That's what you get when you take on the role of "Johnny Bluejeans" I guess.
[snapback]100764[/snapback]
[/quote]

"The State" and "Stella" would very much like to have a word with you.
[snapback]100765[/snapback]
[/quote]
And there are a LOT of people who are still wondering why "Ed" got cancelled.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2005, 10:01:14 AM »
With all of the comments made about the game shows that came up this time around, a couple of interesting observations:

1) Press Your Luck, compared to other shows they've discussed over the years (game and non-game alike), got off very easy from the roasting, I think. Maybe it was just me, but the comments made didn't seem very hurtful for the most part...

2) Except of course for Chuck Woolery. I admit I was surprised when he said he never liked it. But hey, everyone has their own taste for certain game shows, even the hosts themselves. Hey, let's not forget, we know what Peter thought of Bargain Hunters and Hit Man...

3) Final PYL comment: They listed the show in 1983, which is when the show debuted. Makes sense. But they only showed clips from ONE episode, and that one episode was Bruce/Jo/Paige from 86! Strange... Since GSN doesn't have a hold of that ep, who gave it to VH1 then? And why didn't this guy give them more eps?

4) Switching over to Pyramid, extreme props to Wille Garson. We don't hear often that the desire to be a game show celebrity is what leads you to the business. And hey, Willie WAS a celebrity on Donny's Pyramid. So he got to have his dream come true.

5) Overall, the digs on Pyramid were pretty light, too. Only major one I saw was when they talked about Dick giving answers for missed clues in the Winner's Circle. Harsh, but I guess that's ONE way to look at it...

Hey, it's all cool. I'd say over the years we've been represented very well over the years with these shows...

The Dating Game
Let's Make A Deal
Family Feud
The Gong Show
The Newlywed Game
The Price Is Right
Pyramid
Press Your Luck
Double Dare
Love Connection
American Gladiators

I miss any of them?
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2005, 10:13:17 AM »
They did WoF in the first series.

Maybe it was just me, but the comments made [about PYL] didn't seem very hurtful for the most part...

I haven't seen PYL's segment, but "Double Dare" got off pretty unscathed as well. There was a joke or two from Michael Ian Black, but otherwise, a lot of praise from younger stars who watched the show then.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

animill9

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2005, 06:24:03 PM »
When I saw the Love Connection clips from 1986, It really pissed me off because GSN does not ever show these episodes. The only ones that GSN shows are the ones from 1988 through about 1992, and we have seen these over and over again! UGGH!! VH-1 has proven that there are indeed LC episodes out there that are pre 1988, and I think that GSN needs to step up to the plate and AIR them sometime. GSN watchers (including myself) would love to see them! But Im done bitching now.

By the way, I did notice the famous "hearts" on the show's set. I remember that I used to try and secretly watch the show when my grandmother wasnt looking (shed never let me watch it because of the steamy conversation). Back then I was only 2 or 3, and was not watching LC for the show itself, but for the big hearts that would adorn the stage. I thought they were kinda.....pretty. OK SO I WAS WEIRD AS A TODDLER!! Until today, I thought that I was dreaming about the slightly different set, but it turned out to be true. Not only were two of the hearts missing from the right side, but they were colored differently! Instead of being the usual rosy pink, fushia, and lavender, they were red and purple. Plus, I vaguely remember the show's original opening as seen on VH-1. Creepy huh?

johnnya2k3

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2005, 06:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Oct 29 2005, 08:52 PM\']There have been three 80's shows
[snapback]100766[/snapback]
[/quote]
Three '80s shows (original, Strikes Back, and now 3-D)...and not a single one featured Degrassi Junior High or SCTV?!?![/i] (or when the CBC's Peter Mansbridge had hair, which was like Canada's version of when Bob Barker had dark hair)

Too bad the PYL segment failed to touch on Michael Larson, but Not Necessarily The News (the pre-pre-pre Daily Show) did get some love from the "I Love The" gang.

Oh, Sonic Whammy, you forgot Supermarket Sweep, Millionaire, and Singled Out. Match Game, Hollywood Squares, Name That Tune, Tic Tac Dough, and Joker's Wild were of course heavily ignored.

As for the kids' shows...Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo, Electric Company, Barney and Friends, Mr. Wizard's World, YCDTOTV, and Reading Rainbow (they couldn't find the original opening), but NO Today's Special, NO 3-2-1 Contact, and NO Square One TV!!!

On the video games side, Intellivision, Colecovision, Donkey Kong, Mortal Kombat , Atari, Pac-Man and Zelda were mentioned, but where the heck were Final Fantasy, Sonic The Hedgehog, and perhaps the biggest omission of them all...SUPER MARIO BROS.?!?!

Oh well, they couldn't cover everything...

Jonathan Allen

gamed121683

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 06:35:01 PM »
Speaking of Chuck and his hatred for PYL, I can remember one episode of "Love Connection" I believe from the early 90's (GSN HAS aired this one, BTW) where there was this one female guest. Chuck asked her "So, what do you look for in a guy?" and she replies "I'm looking for a guy that has big bucks and no whammies!" or something to that effect. Chuck just bursts out laughing repeating what she said to himself and says "That's from "Press Your Luck"...good night." He had that "I can't believe she referenced that stupid show" look on his face. Yeah, I guess in retrospect even then he never liked it. Hey, to each their own.  

Anyone else remember this episode?