Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scrabble questions  (Read 4617 times)

beatlefreak84

Scrabble questions
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 12:40:29 PM »
Both players did not receive the same words until the show went to a contained format (as no contestant was seen wearing headphones or leaving the stage)

Actually, I do distinctly remember contestants before the contained format era getting the same words; the champion would wear headphones and have his/her podium darkened while the challenger played the game.

The quickest example of this is the infamous Sang Sprint round; his opponent had to beat 87.0 seconds with the same three words, even saying "NUDENESS" for the third word just like Sang did!

One other point:  I always thought it was the challenger who selected the pink/blue envelope, and those would be the three words used for both the champ and challenger (isolation method described above).  Is this true?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

aaron sica

Scrabble questions
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Oct 25 2005, 12:40 PM\']The quickest example of this is the infamous Sang Sprint round; his opponent had to beat 87.0 seconds with the same three words, even saying "NUDENESS" for the third word just like Sang did!
[snapback]100365[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you sure? I had always thought that second player said "Ludeness"...

Don Minyard

Scrabble questions
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 10:00:37 PM »
Actually, in September 1985 both players played the same set of words.  The champion went offstage (behind the wall Chuck came out from) and wore headphones while the challenger played.  There was no longer a choice of pink or blue packet at that time, and there were only three words.  

Trust me, I know this one.  I won $40,000 playing the game this way.  And I added another $25,000 in the November 1985 Tournament (where 5 TV winners played 5 board game champs).