Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Best Game Show...  (Read 4250 times)

beatlefreak84

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
For cable, hands down, it's gotta be "Bumper Stumpers;" I always thought it was an intriguing game, low Canadian payouts aside...:)

For syndication, mainly because I'm having so much trouble thinking of good ones that were only on in syndication (he he), I'm going to go with "Bullseye" pre-celeb episodes.  You have to marvel at that set, and the game isn't too bad either...just wish they would've found somebody besides Jim Lange to host...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

zachhoran

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
I was expecting someone to have already said History IQ on the all-time cable game show list.

$100kPyramidfan

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 01:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Oct 23 2005, 11:41 PM\']You have to marvel at that set, and the game isn't too bad either...just wish they would've found somebody besides Jim Lange to host...:)

Anthony
[snapback]100241[/snapback]
[/quote]

Who would you liked to have seen on Bullseye instead of Lange?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:21:00 PM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Best Game Show...
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2005, 01:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Oct 24 2005, 10:18 AM\']Who would you liked to have seen on Bullseye instead of Lange?
[snapback]100263[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just about anyone, really.

Actually, of his shows, he was probably least offensive on Bullseye. He pales in comparison to Tom Kennedy on Name That Tune, and Chance Of A Lifetime wasn't his speed at all. But he ran Bullseye well enough.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
Yowzah.

Well, I'm going to second the Wipeout mention.  Very underrated format in my estimation.  And, the bonus round (aka Race Game with trivia) is one of the better end games in the genre.

For cable, I'm going to have to agree with a few who said Debt.  Everything from Wink's disco pose at the beginning to the format reeked of game show cheese...but it was well executed!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Best Game Show...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 02:29:56 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Oct 24 2005, 10:53 AM\']Well, I'm going to second the Wipeout mention.  Very underrated format in my estimation.  And, the bonus round (aka Race Game with trivia) is one of the better end games in the genre.
[/quote]
Except it suffers from Bonkers-itis. (Or maybe Bonkers suffers from Wipeout-itis.) The game is totally hackable, as that one dude did on the show. The guy operating the board could forget to put the answers in the monitors, and it's still winnable by anyone with a cool head, as you can just brute-force the right boxes easily within the time limit.

While I agree it's a neat idea, and I enjoy watching it when played straight, I can't call an endgame "one of the better" when you can completely violate the spirit of the game and still win.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 07:25:06 PM »
Cable: Bumper Stumpers
Syndy: tougher. Heart says Every Second Counts, brains say Bullseye - it had more flash. ESC looked medium-budgeted. Bullseye's design had punch.

beatlefreak84

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 08:48:14 PM »
Who would you liked to have seen on Bullseye instead of Lange?

That's definitely a tough question.  After all, I think the show required someone who could not only keep the show moving (there was a LOT of game to play and, sometimes, they would stop the show in the middle of a bonus round!), but could also fit in with the show's motif; i.e., the show's ultra-neon, modern set.

So, I think somebody a tad younger might have worked better.  As far as a specific name, I could probably see someone like Alex Trebek working very well.  He can clearly keep a show with lots of questions moving, he can have a little fun as well, and I think he would have been good at building up suspense in the bonus round while keeping it moving (see:  "High Rollers").

Besides, couldn't you just see him and that big 'fro of his standing behind that "Bullseye" podium?  :)

Or maybe it's just me...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

$100kPyramidfan

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 08:50:40 PM »
So, I think somebody a tad younger might have worked better.  As far as a specific name, I could probably see someone like Alex Trebek working very well. 
Or maybe it's just me...:)

Anthony
[snapback]100305[/snapback]

Actually, Trebek might not have been that bad, now that you mention it, and for the reasoning behind that thought.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 08:52:32 PM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

ChuckNet

The Best Game Show...
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 10:19:59 PM »
Gotta go w/Aaron on this one...FtM for syndication, WBSM for cable...great minds @ work, I suppose. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")