Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What If $ale was a Weekly Nighttime Show?  (Read 5589 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

What If $ale was a Weekly Nighttime Show?
« on: August 18, 2003, 03:54:51 AM »
Hello there, everyone!

As you may recall, we had a thread that entertained what we would do if we had the rights to revive $ale of the Century. I replied on the basis of two different formats: the first being that the show was a five-day-a-week format (In which I proposed that everything would be the same as the 1980s version), and the second being if the show were a once-a-week nighttime format.

That is the reason for this post. I would keep everything the same. However, the Shopping Round would be WAY to long to bear. (Think about it; would you wait 8 to 10 weeks to see someone go for it all -- only to bust in the final week?)

I say that we have a modified version version of the Winner's Board. There are two ways in which I get it done:

(1) I take the Classic Concentration bonus game and have the contestant match as many prizes as possible with in a :30 time limit, or...

(2) Tell the contestant about a predetermined target prize before the matching game. If the contestant finds the two cards in which that target prize is found, the game stops and the contestant can return next week to find more prizes. Of course, both paths lead ot the biggest risk of his/her life...

The contestant can decide to take the prizes and run (which could include a car (loaded with options) priced above $40,000 -- such as a Cadillac Escalade -- a $20,000 cash prize, a $5,000 cash prize, a trip valued at $20,000 or more, and a $10,000 home entertainment package), or risk them for one last game. We know what happens if the contestant loses. However, if the contestant wins, he or she will win that elusive 11th prize: a cash jackpot starting at $100,000 and increasing by $5,000 for each week that it is left unclaimed. So, if a contestant has what it takes to move on, he or she can walk away with over $250,000 in cash and prizes.

The nighttime version could be known as $uper $ale of the Century. I know, it may never happen, but one can dream, can he?

If you think the proposal sounds good -- or not -- tell me what you think. Also, ideas of your own are welcome! Have at it, my friends!

The Inquisitive One

50 Posts Long and Still Going Strong!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 03:56:32 AM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 08:55:24 AM »
Anything but that half-baked \"Winners Big Money Game\" would work. Good God, what was Grundy smoking when he allowed that anti-climatic out-of-place and boring bonus round into a great show ?

\"WBMG\" would of worked on Jeopardy!, Password, Scrabble... ANYTHING but $ale. (Sorry had to vent ! : P)

Oh, yeah. I would like to see a shortened \"Winners Board\" format, like maybe a max stay of 7 days (The old format max of 11 days would be too long for the average viewer, who likes to see new blood once-in-a-while, same reason why the classic shopping wouldn't work either, since it could take weeks to reach the \"Lot\" plateau of $750)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2003, 08:55:48 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 09:07:24 AM »
You can refer to the aformentioned thread to see another suggestion of mine, how about this:  At the top of the show, the three players go \"window shopping\" with the host where all the prizes are described.  The three players secretly make out their \"shopping list\" during the first comml. break and then the q&a game begins.  The winner then gets everything he can afford on his list, with the stipulation that if the losing players had the same prize on their list, that price is doubled (1 other player) or tripled (both other players), so a $9 dollar item could then jump to $27, thus keeping the prize budget within reason.  It's a demand based economy.  I wanted to put the shopping at the top, because, frankly, I used to turn to CBS at around 10:50 when I knew the $ale champ wasn't gonna be able to buy anything.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 11:44:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 12:54 AM\'] I would keep everything the same. However, the Shopping Round would be WAY to long to bear. (Think about it; would you wait 8 to 10 weeks to see someone go for it all -- only to bust in the final week?)
 [/quote]
 God yes, especially with the sort of prize that would come with in today's world of weekly prime-time game shows. Even if they were playing for \"only\" a million bucks on that last show, you'd have my attention.

But I think you could do it, and well, with an even more reasonable budget.

If you did Sale once a week, particularly as a prime time network show, you would probably have a pretty decent prize budget, and I'm guessing the Cash Jackpot would be in the ballpark of $250K or more.

You have a concern over the length of time it would take a champion to scale the ladder...well, under the Shopping Round system, the ladder can be as long as you want it to be, can't it? Does The Lot have to be $750? Or perhaps you alter the front game a little (not TOO much, mind you) to increase scores? What if you made Speed Round questions worth +/- $10 each?

I don't think it would be unrealistic for a champion to win a boatload of prizes over three days (say, a $10K-$20K prize package on Day One, a huge trip or some expensive jewelry on Day Two, a phat car on Day 3, I'm thinking something like $100K all told), give 'em a chance to trade it all in for a shot at the Cash Jackpot on Day 4, and then have 'em play for The Lot on Day 5.

(1) I take the Classic Concentration bonus game and have the contestant match as many prizes as possible with in a :30 time limit, or...

No, ag, puke. First, stealing another shows bonus game is is bush league. (People are gonna know Concentration when you see it.) Second, the only way you can do that round is if the Winner's Board is CG, and do you REALLY want your champion on that lavish set filled with prizes playing the bonus game on a projection TV?

Stick with the shopping round; that is the essence of SotC. If you don't think it works as is, then simply tweak as necessary to MAKE it work.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 11:53:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 06:07 AM\'] You can refer to the aformentioned thread to see another suggestion of mine, how about this:  At the top of the show, the three players go "window shopping" with the host where all the prizes are described.  The three players secretly make out their "shopping list" during the first comml. break and then the q&a game begins. [/quote]
 So in other words, you have a game show where you don't so much as ask a question during the first segment? Why, that sounds like a wrestling show that doesn't feature the first actual match until 9:20. (Hey, wait a second...)

Vinny Mac gets away with it because he has no competition. You don't have that luxury. That first scribbling sound you hear is the contestants furiously writing out their \"shopping lists\". That second one you hear is the Nielsen families writing \"National Bovine Talent Hunt\" into their ratings diaraies as they change the channel across the country.

with the stipulation that if the losing players had the same prize on their list, that price is doubled (1 other player) or tripled (both other players)

I officially want to have a T-shirt printed up that says \"Stipulations Are For People Who Can't Come Up With Good Rules.\"

I wanted to put the shopping at the top, because, frankly, I used to turn to CBS at around 10:50 when I knew the $ale champ wasn't gonna be able to buy anything.

So you're going to bore your viewer at the start of the show instead of at the end? That THIRD scribbling sound you hear is your boss writing your pink slip.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 12:33:48 PM »
At the top, since the game hasn't started, there is the possibility that the prizes could be won that day.  At the bottom, that possibility is reduced.  On TPIR, for example, seldom is a prize revealed after the game is over and that has worked well for them over the years.  Would a prime-time $ale be an hour-long?

Dan Sadro

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 12:14:44 AM »
Self-contained, people.  Unless you make the maingame so exciting that people will watch it week to week like American Idol and its ilk, don't even think of a weekly returning champions show.

Nobody's going to remember, let alone care, that Bob Smith won a whole $3000 in crappy merchandise last week and is risking stuff he doesn't even want so that he might win $8000 in crappy merchandise.  

Where's the new?  Where's the fresh and exciting?  Big money has been done before -- and I'm not defending mo' money syndrome -- but when people are desensitized to big money, you have to find a different hook.

Think about this.  No returning champions, top prize is something nice.  It doesn't have to be too big (see Fear Factor and Dog Eat Dog, both of which came back with a second season), but have the fact that one player could be sixty seconds away from that top prize, if not two or all three players, and you have created false drama, seemingly \"good\" or \"interesting\" television.

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 12:56:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 09:14 PM\'] Self-contained, people.  Unless you make the maingame so exciting that people will watch it week to week like American Idol and its ilk, don't even think of a weekly returning champions show.

Nobody's going to remember, let alone care, that Bob Smith won a whole $3000 in crappy merchandise last week and is risking stuff he doesn't even want so that he might win $8000 in crappy merchandise.  
 [/quote]
 Well, then Sale isn't gonna come back, because a returning champion is the entire premise of the show.

If we're going to assume for the sake of the question that Sale's on in prime time, then we have to allow for a few other given's, too, like the concept that the public is interested and willing to follow the format.

Normally I agree with you on these issues, but for the purposes of this little fantasy we simply have to assume that a returning champion would have some interest...or devise a format to MAKE that interest.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 11:56 PM\'] Well, then Sale isn't gonna come back, because a returning champion is the entire premise of the show.

If we're going to assume for the sake of the question that Sale's on in prime time, then we have to allow for a few other given's, too, like the concept that the public is interested and willing to follow the format.

Normally I agree with you on these issues, but for the purposes of this little fantasy we simply have to assume that a returning champion would have some interest...or devise a format to MAKE that interest. [/quote]
The returning champion is not the premise of the show.  The premise of the show is to earn money playing a generic quiz and use the money to buy super-cheap merchandise.

Most people will remember the 80s version rather than the '60s-'70s version.  The 80s version didn't feature the shopping endgame for much of the run.  The shopping endgame was the only one where returning champions were instrumental -- in all other versions of the endgame, returning champions were a formality.

If you want to do the shopping endgame, it can be easily done with adjusted values for a one day champion.  But if you require returning champions, you'll have to, as you say, devise a format to make interest, because Sale is just not a compelling game mechanism until you have a four- or five-time returning champion.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 11:00:36 AM by Dan Sadro »

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 11:39:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 07:59 AM\'] Sale is just not a compelling game mechanism until you have a four- or five-time returning champion. [/quote]
 So after all of that, you just said \"Sale doesn't work unless there are returning champions.\"

Which is what I've been saying.

I think we agree here more than you think. :)

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 12:13:42 PM »
I don't think it would be unrealistic for a champion to win a boatload of prizes over three days (say, a $10K-$20K prize package on Day One, a huge trip or some expensive jewelry on Day Two, a phat car on Day 3, I'm thinking something like $100K all told), give 'em a chance to trade it all in for a shot at the Cash Jackpot on Day 4, and then have 'em play for The Lot on Day 5.

The only change I'd make in this is have it be all the prizes on Day 4 with the cash jackpot added to the package on Day 5. Once people have that big wad of bucks in their fist, I don't see it being risked for the prizes--at least not as often as the prizes would be risked for the money.
And that's my two cents--one cent will be added to the jackpot tomorrow.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 12:55:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 10:39 AM\'][quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 07:59 AM\'] Sale is just not a compelling game mechanism until you have a four- or five-time returning champion. [/quote]
So after all of that, you just said \"Sale doesn't work unless there are returning champions.\"

Which is what I've been saying.[/quote]
On the other hand, the British version ran for twelve years without returning champions as a once-a-week show, which made the suspense if the game was a runaway whether the leader would get enough money for the car, or, if it was a close game, whether the winner would get enough to buy *anything,* even the bicycle collection (or whatever the lowball prize was that week).

There also was the fact that the British \"SOTC\" was a faster-paced show (once it got out of the long opening) than either American version--it usually got in at least 100 questions per show.  The Kelly/Garagiola years were lucky to get half that and the Perry years were pre-programmed to approximately 30 regular and three Fame Game questions a show (with maybe ten more than that once the speed round was instituted).  Of course, the Brits also had about 5 to 7 less commercial minutes to deal wtih than the Americans did.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 02:31:29 PM »
Remind me how the Joe G. couples format worked?  I do remember they changed the theme to a wedding march variation.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 07:42:40 PM »
It would not sell to be a weekly show,
especially not in the weekends.

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 10:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' date=\'Aug 19 2003, 04:42 PM\'] It would not sell to be a weekly show,
especially not in the weekends. [/quote]
 Good. Now tell us why.