Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rare 80's High Rollers Clips  (Read 5371 times)

jrjgames

Rare 80's High Rollers Clips
« on: August 18, 2003, 12:15:42 AM »
Enjoy these never-meant-to-be-aired clips from 80's High Rollers!

http://www.jrjgames.com/main/promos/video.htm

John

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 11:12:15 AM »
Woah! Thanks John! Where were these from? A clip retrospective that never aired? An inside, for-the-Heatter-staff celebration of their final taping?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

jrjgames

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 11:53:27 AM »
Its from the final rehearsal reel!

John

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 03:49:16 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 10:53 AM\'] Its from the final rehearsal reel!

John [/quote]
 I saw that Wink had on a \"High Rollers\" sweatshirt.  Did he actually wear this during the run?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jrjgames

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 04:48:53 PM »
No, all these clips are from the final rehearsal video!

John

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 04:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 04:48 PM\'] No, all these clips are from the final rehearsal video!

John [/quote]
 So \"Hair Rollers\" actually happened? There was some cracking at the beginning of that one that made me think it was redubbed w/ the \"Game of nickels and dimes!\" intro,

jrjgames

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 05:35:35 PM »
HAHAHAH....ok once more!

All of these clips are from the final rehearsal video!

It really really really happened! :)

Nothing was redubbed...it was their last rehearsal before their last tape day ever so they decided to have some fun!

These were just a few moments from that final video!

John

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 05:58:56 PM »
Some of this stuff should make a MOGSM....esp. the dumb contestants one. If you're given two choices, just guess....morons.

ITSBRY

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 09:08:56 PM »
Seeing these fun moments from the show was a real treat.  I can't thank you enough for posting these on your site (and a personal email thanks will be coming)!!  I saw your post while at work today and I could hardly wait to get home to download and play them.  I think you're the only other person who loved this show as much as I did. :-)  I would love to see it show up on GSN one of these days.  I wish I had taped more episodes during the goo-gillion years it reran on USA.

Those 10K wins were very very exciting...this game so needs to be revived.  

Is it just me or did HR 87 have A LOT of contestants that had appeared on other shows?  I know that Lela of PYL fame appeared at one point...she had the High Rollers logo painted on her fingernails if I remember correctly.  Some of the faces in the win montage looked familiar, but maybe that's just my memory from the reruns.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 09:23:28 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 06:08 PM\'] Those 10K wins were very very exciting...this game so needs to be revived.  
 [/quote]
 The part of me that enjoys dice games and thinks the Big Numbers is a great endgame agrees with you.

But HR has always had a glaring hole in the format, and that is, as the game progressed, you didn't want to roll the dice. A problem when a game is all about rolling dice.

Find me a format for High Rollers that a) captures the spirit of Shut The Box and b) rewards a player for, well, playing, and I will lead the march to get it back on the air.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 09:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 08:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 06:08 PM\'] Those 10K wins were very very exciting...this game so needs to be revived. 
 [/quote]
The part of me that enjoys dice games and thinks the Big Numbers is a great endgame agrees with you.

But HR has always had a glaring hole in the format, and that is, as the game progressed, you didn't want to roll the dice. A problem when a game is all about rolling dice.

Find me a format for High Rollers that a) captures the spirit of Shut The Box and b) rewards a player for, well, playing, and I will lead the march to get it back on the air. [/quote]
 Tracey Sang who was one of the early $10K Big Numbers winners was also a $25K winner on ALl Star Blitz and also on Double Talk.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 09:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 06:25 PM\'] Tracey Sang who was one of the early $10K Big Numbers winners was also a $25K winner on ALl Star Blitz and also on Double Talk. [/quote]
 Calm down, Zach.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jrjgames

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 10:09:47 PM »
Im glad you are enjoying these rare clips...there WILL be more to come!

:)

John

ITSBRY

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »
But HR has always had a glaring hole in the format, and that is, as the game progressed, you didn't want to roll the dice. A problem when a game is all about rolling dice

Good point.  I'll grant you that HR covered its little flaws with a great set and a great theme, but to me those two things are a big part of why I enjoyed this show so much...especially as a kid.  The neato factor made it fun to watch for me.  I liked HR because it was fun to watch.  Like PYL...it wasn't brain surgery but mostly luck.  A fun and mildly interesting front game and an (at times) edge-of-your-seat end game.

I had an idea for a change in the front game recently...now I don't know if this would fix or help the \"not wanting to role\" issue, but I'll throw it out there. (forgive the pun)

*  The board would consist of a 4x3 grid numbered 1-12.  (10,11 & 12 are displayed in a different color...more on this later).

* Players still answer questions to earn the dice and can roll or pass when in control.

* Good roll removes number(s) from the board and adds them to the roller's \"score\".  The roller keeps their score only if they eliminate the last number from the board or pass the dice to their opponent forcing them to throw a bad roll.

* Board is reloaded after points are awarded and game play continues.

* Most points win and plays the classic end game for the big prize.

* No prize columns so the pace stays fast.  Possibly award $ or a prize for a game win instead.

* 10,11 & 12 are \"hot numbers\".  Throw a 10,11, or 12, eliminate one of the hot numbers and you pick up $500 bonus money and double that number for your score, but you MUST eliminate the hot number exactly.  For example, you could not roll 11, eliminate 10 and 1 and get the hot number bonus.  You would have to eliminate a hot number on an exact roll removing only that number.

Anywho...could the point system possibly be incentive to continue to roll the dice if you were behind?

I've never actually played this concept out to see how it would work, but I'm sure you all will point out every possible flaw in obscene detail!  :-)

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

SplitSecond

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 12:09:01 AM »
What you see as a glaring hole, Chris, I see as simply a side effect of a good game mechanic.  Each move should carry with it more risk of ending the game than the previous move.  That does, however, have the unfortunate side effect of making it very attractive to pass every roll late in the game, in the name of self-preservation.

I say there should simply be a substantial reward for clearing the board in the main game.  It should be a cash award, equal to (or possibly half of) the award for clearing the Big Numbers.  If the columns had an average value of $3,000* in prizes each and there was a $10,000* cash carrot dangling in front of me for clearing the board, I'd keep rolling, so long as I wasn't down one game in the match.

I don't think it would substantially affect the theoretical prize budget; after all, how many times did we see the main game board get cleared?  (a rhetorical question for those who seem to have regular trouble with those here)