Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: European GT shows in GSN library?  (Read 1860 times)

Jim

European GT shows in GSN library?
« on: August 17, 2003, 08:30:39 PM »
I know GSN has the Goodson Todman library.  Does this library include the foreign versions of Goodson Todman shows?  I was thinking it would be cool to see the Eammon Andrews British version of WML? or the one made in Canada at the same time.  Are these and other foreign versions in the G-T library and does GSN have access to them?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 10:46:07 AM »
As far as we all know, GSN does not have any foreign versions of GT shows.  

In reading old TVGuides over the years, I've discovered that at least two of their biggest hits had separate versions in Canada:  \"To Tell the Truth\" ran on CBC in the '60s and was a different version that the US show; and \"What's My Line\" ran on CTV in the late '70s.  That version even used the same theme music as the syndicated US version.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 11:14:36 AM »
Was Robin Ward the host of WML?? That would be a nice \"Claim to Fame\"(Canadian reference) to say you hosted both WML? and TTTT.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 02:51:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 18 2003, 09:46 AM\']In reading old TVGuides over the years, I've discovered that at least two of their biggest hits had separate versions in Canada:  \"To Tell the Truth\" ran on CBC in the '60s and was a different version that the US show; and \"What's My Line\" ran on CTV in the late '70s.  That version even used the same theme music as the syndicated US version.[/quote]
At the time, I remember that Gil Fates, who personally supervised that Canadian version, said that he wanted to try to combine the classier atmosphere of the network version of \"WML?\" with the use of the film clips and studio demonstrations of the syndicated version (I assume without Soupy Sales' corny jokes).  We don't really know if he totally succeeded.

Also, one of the members of the stand-in rehearsal panel on that version of the show was one of our favorites--\"Super Pay Cards!\"' Mary Lou Basaraba.