Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Pyramid City Sweep"  (Read 1914 times)

beatlefreak84

"Pyramid City Sweep"
« on: August 17, 2003, 08:10:19 PM »
Hello all,

After doing some searching online, I found out about the \"Pyramid City Sweep\" in Chicago for Aug. 30.  I was able to talk a few of my friends into going with me, so we're all hoping to have a lot of fun!

However, this being my first official game show tryout, I'm pretty much okay on the skills and the charisma needed (or so I hope!), but what exactly does the tryout entail?  Is there a written test (If so, what's it like?)?  How do they do the \"mock game?\"  Is there anything else I should know about?

Thanks in advance, and wish me (and my friends) luck!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

tidefan12

"Pyramid City Sweep"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 12:22:34 AM »
Hi Anthony!  First of all, best of luck at the City Sweep.  I was selected from the Atlanta City Sweep last season.  That one operated differently from the others due to the fact that they selected someone on that Saturday, flew them out immediately to L.A. and had them taping on Monday.  That was me, and it was quite a whirlwind.  You probably won't know anything that soon in Chicago, but it will be a fun day.

As far as the testing process, I think we went in groups of 75 and started with a written exam based on the Winner's Circle.  They would give the clues on a video monitor (\"The Cable Guy\", \"Liar Liar\", \"The Truman Show\") and you write down the category (\"Jim Carrey Movies\").  There were 40 of those I think.  One of the things they stress is phrasing your answers properly, so live, eat, breathe, and sleep \"Things That _______\", \"What ________ Would Say\", and \"Why (Reasons) You __________\".  If you pass that, you'll play a mock round of the front game w/ a partner in front of one of the producers or contestant coordinators.  Mine was in front of Exec. Producer Stephen Brown.  Then it's a Polaroid head shot and a \"thanks and good luck\".  

The actual traveling mall show is pretty impressive.  Steve Saunders, the show's warmup guy, is the host.  They'll play the game w/ random shoppers and fans, and they draw for a whole butt load of door prizes...mostly Sony DVD's, CD's and small electronic equipment.  If Donny is actually appearing at this one, his fan contingency will show up in droves!!  

Once again, best of luck.  Everyone involved with the City Sweep are great people, and I'd do it all over again if I could!

Hope we see you on the show!

Shane Elsberry

Brandon Brooks

"Pyramid City Sweep"
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 07:07:33 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Aug 17 2003, 07:10 PM\'] After doing some searching online, I found out about the "Pyramid City Sweep" in Chicago for Aug. 30.  I was able to talk a few of my friends into going with me, so we're all hoping to have a lot of fun!
 [/quote]
 Darn...

I wish I could go, but I won't be getting back to school until two weeks afterwards.  Oh, poo.

I also have a tidbit of advice for you though; be yourself.  Don't put on a show.  Let the fact that you are an obvious game show fan show through.

And good luck!

Brandon Brooks

beatlefreak84

"Pyramid City Sweep"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, as well as the well-wishes!  I know it will definitely be a fun time!

However, in case any of you are from Chicago and are considering going, from what I read, this one'll be a little different from past \"City Sweeps:\"

1.  There are no pre-set appointments; a random drawing will be done from people who apply to be contestants to see who gets to take the test (something like GSN's \"Get Schooled\" Tour).

2.  The reason for the above?  It's being held at Navy Pier as part of the International Toy and Game Exhibit!  Luck will REALLY have to be on my side to even get a seat!  :)

3.  Oh, and, no, Donny won't be at this one (he'll be at the last one they're doing for now; I can't remember where it'll be, though).

So, there you go.  This may be a long and grueling day, but I hope I at least get drawn!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Timsterino

"Pyramid City Sweep"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 12:17:42 AM »
Donny is going to be at the one in my hometown (Aventura, FL). I went to the Laguna Beach, CA City Sweep last year. When they explained the rules of the test there was some confusion as far as the phrasing went. I did not know if they wanted just \"Jim Carey Movies\" or \"Types of Jim Carey Movies\". I am still to this day unsure of what they wanted. I will make sure to clarify that before I take the test next month.  Plus the monitor set up was not ready so Leslie (contestant coordinator) read the clues aloud. Despite being a fan of the show, I could not pass the test.

I tried calling the number today to register for Aventura but it just rang and rang. I will try again tomorrow.

Hopefully, I will have a little better luck this time. Either way it is a good time.

Good luck to you!

Tim :-)