Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weirdest theme spotting ever  (Read 8391 times)

Matt Ottinger

Weirdest theme spotting ever
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 07:01:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 04:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 01:23 PM\']Why?
[snapback]98748[/snapback]
[/quote]
If that was "Why?" as in "Were you there on business or for pleasure?", I have the same question.

If that was "Why?" as in "Why would anyone watch that garbage?", I'll remind you that we all like GAME SHOWS. :)[/quote]
Just as a fan of the phenomenon.  It was also nearby, at the Silverdome near Detroit.  Back then, Vince and the boys were enjoying their greatest mainstream success, much more than they have today, and I have always been a slave to popular culture.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jalman

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 09:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 04:28 AM\']Great. A Bill Cullen connection to the WWE. Can we look forward to a new wraslin' section on Ottinger's website?
[snapback]98671[/snapback]
[/quote]
It would've been awesome if Cullen turned heel on one of his shows and cut a promo :)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 10:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 09:54 PM\']It would've been awesome if Cullen turned heel on one of his shows and cut a promo :)
[snapback]98800[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmmm...If it would have happened, how could he do it?

(Yes, I know he was playing around...but still,it intrigues me.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:28:20 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 10:39:15 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 07:18 PM\']Hmmm...If it would have happened, how could he do it?
[snapback]98801[/snapback]
[/quote]
Alright, so it's Joker's Wild, and they're doing the Face The Devil thing. The player nickels and dimes his way up to $900, and decides to take one more spin. And it comes up: $25....$50.....

...and the lamp in the third wheel burns out.

The contesant is confused. Bill then says "I tell you what, I'll go over there and see where that wheel landed." He takes a couple steps, turns...

...AND DROPS THE CONTESTANT WITH A BY-GAWD CLOTHESLINE FROM HELL!!!

At this point, Ric Flair comes out from behind the board (with appropriate WHOO!!-ing), brandishing the lamp from the slide projector, and the two of them proceed to style and profile as the show fades to black.

(Yeah. I can write that crap. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 10:41:42 PM »
I like where this thread is going, lol.

And as long as I have an excuse to bring it up (it IS a wrestling/game show thread, for once) have any of the other wrestling/game show fans out there found it weird that Bill bore a resemblence to Gordon Solie, another broadcaster known as "The Dean" of his profession?

A photo of Gordon Solie. You be the judge.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 10:43:06 PM by Adam Nedeff »

sshuffield70

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 11:41:57 PM »
I remember Gordon Solie from the really old WCW days.  I was a fan in the 80s.  The thought of Solie looking like Bill never crossed my mind.  But they were both "deans" of their profession.  However, I did have a professor who was also a "dean" of wrestling, Bill Mercer of Dallas based World Class Championship Wrestling.

As for how Bill Cullen could have done as a wrestler, it makes me long for Hannah Olson's old GSWF stories.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 09:28:02 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 03:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 01:23 PM\']Why?
[snapback]98748[/snapback]
[/quote]
If that was "Why?" as in "Were you there on business or for pleasure?", I have the same question.

If that was "Why?" as in "Why would anyone watch that garbage?", I'll remind you that we all like GAME SHOWS. :)
[snapback]98749[/snapback]
[/quote]

And WWE is a game show?  Oh, never mind.

No, actually, I meant "Why remind us how old you are?"  But the other way works, too, gramps.

(Ducks the flying Poligrip, knowing MO and I are about the same age)
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 11:33:57 AM »
Now that this thread has gone in a slightly bizarre direction:

It should be noted that game shows that used recorded music instead of live musicians didn't really do original themes until the 60s--everyone who didn't use organists or a band used existing music for their shows, whether it be stock library music or a commercial recording.

And even if there were live musicians, existing music could be used--after all, Harry Ruby and Burt Kalmar wrote "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" almost two decades before John Guedel and Jerry Fielding decided to make it the "You Bet Your Life" theme (for the Marx Brothers' "Animal Crackers," granted).

Don Howard

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 11:57:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 10:47 PM\']It was the main theme. I guess what blew my mind was, as you said, it seemed to be stock music. It there something about theme music rights I don't know?
[snapback]98631[/snapback]
[/quote]
That theme was used on The CBS Morning News with Bill Kurtis and Phyllis George for one week about twenty years ago when the show was doing a special segment about.....oh, I forget. But I remember they used the Pass The Buck theme while announcer Bill Gilliand introduced the person being spotlighted (or is it spotlit?) in that day's segment.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 11:57:26 AM by Don Howard »

GSWitch

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 04:14:36 PM »
Another Bill Cullen/WWE possible connection.

A handicap match featuring one wrestler vs a tag team.  You'd have a Blockbusters match!  Maybe John Hatten should referee (LOL)!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 04:15:20 PM by GSWitch »

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 04:14 PM\']Another Bill Cullen/WWE possible connection.

A handicap match featuring one wrestler vs a tag team.  You'd have a Blockbusters match!  Maybe John Hatten should referee (LOL)!
[/quote]

This has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard. What about the whole WWE against you? That's better.

Back on topic: I forgot those other uses of stock cues/recordings for Bob Stewart productions. Then again, Goodson/Todman did it a lot in the 50s, "Melody in Moccasins" comes to mind right off the bat (the opening for many years on WML?), but there are many more examples (The Price is Right, anyone?)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 04:36:58 PM by NicholasM79 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 05:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 01:23 PM\']This has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever heard. What about the whole WWE against you? That's better.
[/quote]
You don't read this place much, then. I've heard FAR stupider things, even from the same member.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 05:08:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 05:04 PM\']You don't read this place much, then. I've heard FAR stupider things, even from the same member.
[/quote]

Agreed. I just tend to lurk more these days.

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 09:28:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 08:28 AM\']And WWE is a game show?
[snapback]98830[/snapback]
[/quote]

Only if the WWE is compared to shows like Twenty-One and Dotto!!

Scripted and Rrrrrriiiiiiiiggggggggeeddd!  

Hell, even Herb Stempel in 2005 can win a few RAW matches, though Herb still may not want to take a dive on the mat when asked to!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 10:46:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 08:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 6 2005, 08:28 AM\']And WWE is a game show?
[/quote]

Only if the WWE is compared to shows like Twenty-One and Dotto!!

[/quote]

Well, I guess you could compare the isolation booths to a cage match...
czambo@mac.com