Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weirdest theme spotting ever  (Read 8390 times)

Adam Nedeff

Weirdest theme spotting ever
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:16:35 PM »
So my geeky friends and I are watching "RAW Exposed", a retrospective of WWF/E's greatest moments from their Monday night programming. One of the highlights featured was great moments from the brief period when The Rock and Mankind were tag team partners, as "The Rock & Sock Connection." And since it's a montage of great moments from a professional wrestling tag team comprised of two modern legends, the music playing in the background was...the theme to "Pass the Buck."

I have nothing to add to that. It's just when I yelled "Hey! That's the theme to Pass the Buck!" my friends there looked at me like a cow fell out of my nostril. Thought I'd post it here where only a handful of people will react that way.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »
*stares at Adam*

Steve_Bier

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 10:35:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 09:16 PM\']So my geeky friends and I are watching "RAW Exposed", a retrospective of WWF/E's greatest moments from their Monday night programming. One of the highlights featured was great moments from the brief period when The Rock and Mankind were tag team partners, as "The Rock & Sock Connection." And since it's a montage of great moments from a professional wrestling tag team comprised of two modern legends, the music playing in the background was...the theme to "Pass the Buck."

I have nothing to add to that. It's just when I yelled "Hey! That's the theme to Pass the Buck!" my friends there looked at me like a cow fell out of my nostril. Thought I'd post it here where only a handful of people will react that way.
[snapback]98615[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok...now I'M going to be the one to get stared at....but is the only time that the theme to PtB has been played on RAW? If not...I need to start watching. I've never heard the PtB theme before.

Chief-O

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:44:09 PM »
I didn't know the PTB theme was stock music.....

Or was this the "suspenseful" music played first thing on the show?
.....and it goes like this!!!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 11:47:39 PM »
Ok...now I'M going to be the one to get stared at....but is the only time that the theme to PtB has been played on RAW? If not...I need to start watching. I've never heard the PtB theme before.

That was the first time. Believe if it had been played before, you'd know.

I didn't know the PTB theme was stock music.....

Or was this the "suspenseful" music played first thing on the show?

It was the main theme. I guess what blew my mind was, as you said, it seemed to be stock music. It there something about theme music rights I don't know?

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 11:58:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 4 2005, 11:47 PM\']It was the main theme. I guess what blew my mind was, as you said, it seemed to be stock music. It there something about theme music rights I don't know?
[/quote]

All you need to know is that Bob Stewart was cheap-assed.

Look at this list of some of his shows' themes...

Jackpot!: KPM Library (Jet Set)
$10,000 Pyramid: Exsisting Music (Tuning Up)
Pass the Buck: Stock Music (Don't know what it is)

The password is cheap, <ding!>

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 05:28:21 AM »
Great. A Bill Cullen connection to the WWE. Can we look forward to a new wraslin' section on Ottinger's website?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 05:53:43 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 02:28 AM\']Great. A Bill Cullen connection to the WWE. Can we look forward to a new wraslin' section on Ottinger's website?
[snapback]98671[/snapback]
[/quote]
One word: WHOOOO!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 06:38:29 AM »
The Jaws-like violin vamp that you hear during the intro Jackpot and Pass the Buck can be heard in the cult classic movie The Boob Tube, which helped launch Chevy Chase's career. There was a parody of the news featured in that movie, and Chevy would later borrow some of the schtick for Weekend Update

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 08:54:01 AM »

And let's not forget that "Love Experts" and the '84 "Jackpot" pilot used a Top 40 instrumental single called "Spring Rain" - which was also frequently used as background music when describing sporting event highlights back then.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 05:38 AM\']The Jaws-like violin vamp that you hear during the intro Jackpot and Pass the Buck can be heard in the cult classic movie The Boob Tube, which helped launch Chevy Chase's career. There was a parody of the news featured in that movie, and Chevy would later borrow some of the schtick for Weekend Update
[snapback]98677[/snapback]
[/quote]

And that's a stock cue--I remember hearing it in some short industrial film or another used as a filler on public TV once (it's been so long ago, but yeah, it's stock music).

However, "Ren and Stimpy" wouldn't be "Ren and Stimpy" without the brilliant use of stock library cues--including the use of  the syndicated "T or C" theme in the pilot.  Knowing John K.'s love of early Hanna-Barbera, I'm surprised he didn't try to seek out the John Seely-William Loose cues used in the early H-B shorts to use.

ObGameShow:  Loose wrote "Merrill and Bob's Theme."  You know it.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 03:50:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 08:54 AM\']

And let's not forget that "Love Experts" and the '84 "Jackpot" pilot used a Top 40 instrumental single called "Spring Rain" - which was also frequently used as background music when describing sporting event highlights back then.[/quote]
Oh, it doesn't stop there.  Most of his early original efforts (Personality, Eye Guess, he Face is Familiar, Three on a Match) used pre-existing music for their themes.  It must have been cheaper than having original music written.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 05:53 AM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 02:28 AM\']Great. A Bill Cullen connection to the WWE. Can we look forward to a new wraslin' section on Ottinger's website?[/quote]
One word: WHOOOO![/quote]
I was thinking YEEEAHHHH!, but yours is good too.

BTW, I like to remind you whippersnappers that I actually attended Wrestlemania III, back when Hulk Hogan was merely middle-aged.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 04:23:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 02:53 PM\'][BTW, I like to remind you whippersnappers that I actually attended Wrestlemania III, back when Hulk Hogan was merely middle-aged.
[/quote]

Why?
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Oct 5 2005, 01:23 PM\']Why?
[snapback]98748[/snapback]
[/quote]
If that was "Why?" as in "Were you there on business or for pleasure?", I have the same question.

If that was "Why?" as in "Why would anyone watch that garbage?", I'll remind you that we all like GAME SHOWS. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe