Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Primetime TONIGHT!  (Read 3693 times)

Hiroland

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« on: August 16, 2003, 03:34:27 PM »
The BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS! I looked on my on-screen guide, and sure enough, its there! Picaboo Street and someone else will be hosting. This is great news!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 03:42:16 PM »
First one to say \"Woolery left Wheel\" owes me 15 cents in royalties. :)
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 03:43:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Hiroland\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 12:34 PM\'] The BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS! I looked on my on-screen guide, and sure enough, its there! Picaboo Street and someone else will be hosting. This is great news! [/quote]
 Except, as we went over when we first heard about this, it's only one network; both teams are made up of NBC personalities. Not remotely as interesting as the matchup between Mr. T. and Dick Van Patten. A more appropriate title might be \"Battle Of A Network's \"Stars\"\".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Hiroland

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 03:45:15 PM »
Well, guess I was a little late...haven't been here, and I never saw promotions, so it was new to me. Then again, I didnt know Woolery left Wheel until 92....

Don Howard

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 03:55:11 PM »
I didnt know Woolery left Wheel until 92....

I knew Chuck had left in 1981, as soon as Jack Clark introduced Pat Sajak as \"your new host\". The Chucker's goodbye speech the previous Friday was a tip-off, too.

Timsterino

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 06:50:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 03:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'Hiroland\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 12:34 PM\'] The BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS! I looked on my on-screen guide, and sure enough, its there! Picaboo Street and someone else will be hosting. This is great news! [/quote]
Except, as we went over when we first heard about this, it's only one network; both teams are made up of NBC personalities. Not remotely as interesting as the matchup between Mr. T. and Dick Van Patten. A more appropriate title might be "Battle Of A Network's "Stars"". [/quote]
 It basically looks like celebrity Fear Factor minus the bugs. The fact that it is only one network totally bums me out. How dare they use that title. lol. I thought it was going to be \"Battle of the NBC stars\"?

Tim :-)

Matt Ottinger

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 08:44:12 PM »
It basically looks like celebrity Fear Factor minus the bugs. The fact that it is only one network totally bums me out. How dare they use that title. lol. I thought it was going to be \"Battle of the NBC stars\"?
They get to use the title because the title is owned by the packager, who did the original all those years ago.  As for the accuracy of the title, I guess it depends on how you parse your sentence.  \"Battle of the Network Stars\" is true if \"the network\" that you're taking about is NBC.  And if you have a fairly liberal definition of \"stars\".

I'll be watching, but I doubt I'll be happy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheInquisitiveOne

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 09:39:38 PM »
Unfortunately, the show will be pre-empted here to make room for a pre-season Bears game. Can someone tell me how the show was? Thanks.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Matt Ottinger

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 11:20:47 PM »
To be perfectly honest and fair about it, it really wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.  The elaborate stunts were somewhat imaginative and the \"stars\" were really into it, though I still couldn't tell you what a couple of them are supposed to be known for.  There were even brief clips from the original version.

I don't think that it's going to be remembered as a guilty pleasure a quarter of a century from now, the way the original one is, but in a summer of repeats and relationship junk, it was as harmless a way as any to waste a Saturday night.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Michael Brandenburg

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 09:30:38 AM »
I watched it myself and thought it wasn't too bad, and they did have those clips from the earlier series during the show (one of which included a shot of the gone-but-unforgettable ABC sportscaster Howard Cossell).  However, I found the location of this show special to me in one way.

You may have noticed that the Battle's events were held at a resort in Squaw Valley, California.  Most of you will remember that previously-unknown community as the site of the Winter Olympic Games in 1960, but after those games were over, the Worldwide Church of God (which I was a member of from 1975 to 1995) used the Bythe Arena that had been constructed at the site for the Games as a worship meeting facility for their annual fall \"Feast of Tabernacles\" celebration from 1961 through 1977 and again from 1981 to 1982.

It was some arrangement: The Blythe Arena was originally a spectator facility for the skiing events of the 1960 Winter Olympic Games and was completely open at the back, so workers from the church had to come in before their fall festival each year and hang up a big canvas wall at the back in order to fully enclose the facility -- and then had to take it down afterwards!  (Those were the days!)

Sadly, in early 1983, the roof caved in on the Blythe Arena during a winter snowstorm in the area, and the site had to be abandoned as a fall festival facility by the Worldwide Church of God organization.  (And today, for the record, they no longer celebrate the \"Feast of Tabernacles\" each fall in the way they once did, but that's another story.)

Perhaps someone can fill me in as to whatever became of the old Blythe Arena in Squaw Valley, as I didn't see any sign of it during the area camera shots of the Battle of the Network Stars show.

Michael Brandenburg
   (But I still celebrate the \"Feast of Tabernacles\" each year with those of my present church, and this year, I'm going to Texas for it -- it's a whole 'nother country!)

uncamark

NBC Primetime TONIGHT!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 06:01:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 08:39 PM\']Unfortunately, the show will be pre-empted here to make room for a pre-season Bears game. Can someone tell me how the show was? Thanks.

The Inquisitive One[/quote]
If you mean \"Chicago,\" it wasn't pre-empted.  The entire NBC Saturday schedule just moved over to WCPX, the Pax station (which schedule, besides \"Battle,\" was the last two episodes of \"Just Shoot Me\"--the next-to-last episode contained two lesbian jokes before the ten-second title sequence--Bud Paxson had to love that).

As for \"Battle,\" it was OK, but it wasn't a *real* battle, even with the clips from the original.