Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New SB article  (Read 2869 times)

PeterMarshallFan

New SB article
« on: August 15, 2003, 07:18:09 PM »
VERY interesting article about the Dotto scandal, which was the first domino in the chain that brought down the big quizzes of the 50's:

http://www.tvgameshows.net/dotto45.htm

Dotto tried to come back in 2000?! Never heard of that.

melman1

New SB article
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 07:45:30 PM »
Dag-nabbit, the links to his Ira Skutch interviews disappeared again.  Did he ever finish it (I saw 2 parts and I think he was going to have 4), or is it hidden on a sub-page somewhere?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Timsterino

New SB article
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 09:00:55 PM »
I was just recently watching the \"Twenty-One\" episode where Charles Van Doren finally \"defeated\" Herbert Stemple. While I was watching it I could just imagine the anger going through the country when the whole scandal was exposed. It was unbelievable watching it knowing that they were being fed the answers.

Tim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 09:01:47 PM by Timsterino »

BrandonFG

New SB article
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 03:03:02 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 06:18 PM\'] Dotto tried to come back in 2000?! Never heard of that. [/quote]
 I found that part interesting too.  At first I think that connect-the-dots wouldn't engage an audience in 2000, but then again there was Get the Picture just a decade earlier.

The question is, would Dotto have received the \"Mo Money\" treatment, say $10,000 for each connection?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

New SB article
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 08:37:02 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 07:03 AM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 06:18 PM\'] Dotto tried to come back in 2000?! Never heard of that. [/quote]
I found that part interesting too.  At first I think that connect-the-dots wouldn't engage an audience in 2000, but then again there was Get the Picture just a decade earlier.

The question is, would Dotto have received the "Mo Money" treatment, say $10,000 for each connection? [/quote]
 I think it's fair to say that after Millionaire hit it big, just about every big-money remake idea was pursued to one degree or another and that yes, it would have been a high-stakes version.  The fact that it didn't make it to air might suggest to you that connect-the-dots would NOT, in fact, engage an audience in 2000.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

YKW03

New SB article
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 08:41:19 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 06:45 PM\'] Dag-nabbit, the links to his Ira Skutch interviews disappeared again.  Did he ever finish it (I saw 2 parts and I think he was going to have 4), or is it hidden on a sub-page somewhere? [/quote]
 If anything ran after part two, it ran under a different naming structure than did the first two installments, which a quick bit of Googling found at:

http://www.tvgameshows.net/iraskutch1.htm

http://www.tvgameshows.net/iraskutch2.htm

No \"iraskutch3.htm\" is found, though.

ChuckNet

New SB article
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2003, 08:39:32 PM »
I was just recently watching the \"Twenty-One\" episode where Charles Van Doren finally \"defeated\" Herbert Stemple. While I was watching it I could just imagine the anger going through the country when the whole scandal was exposed. It was unbelievable watching it knowing that they were being fed the answers.

Hell, some say the Van Doren/Stempel ep itself had more acting than was seen in the movie Quiz Show, on which it was based. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

PeterMarshallFan

New SB article
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 08:44:55 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 17 2003, 08:39 PM\']
I was just recently watching the "Twenty-One" episode where Charles Van Doren finally "defeated" Herbert Stemple. While I was watching it I could just imagine the anger going through the country when the whole scandal was exposed. It was unbelievable watching it knowing that they were being fed the answers.

Hell, some say the Van Doren/Stempel ep itself had more acting than was seen in the movie Quiz Show, on which it was based. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 You may be right, Chuck.....that ep is on my list for a future MT&R trip. Depends if it's archived though, as I still want to check out the ep of The Cross-Wits.......