Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR / PYL question...  (Read 2977 times)

Kevin Prather

TPiR / PYL question...
« on: August 15, 2003, 01:34:10 PM »
has any contestant on TPiR or PYL or any other game show ever inadvertantly win a trip to their home town? i play Press Your Luck online, and it has happened to me a few times.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 02:58:13 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 10:34 AM\'] has any contestant on TPiR or PYL or any other game show ever inadvertantly win a trip to their home town? i play Press Your Luck online, and it has happened to me a few times. [/quote]
 Well, if you're going to count fake prizes from computer games, then, yeah, before I moved here, I used to \"win\" trips to Monterey and Carmel all the time playing along with The Price Is Right. They useta pop up on some other shows too...I can specifically remember both Jim Lange and Geoff Edwards commenting on how they had been and what a beautiful place it is and such.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 03:10:17 PM »
i mean on real shows. it happening to me on a computer game just made me wonder.

Timsterino

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 03:12:54 PM »
Yes. I have seen it happen on several occasions on TPiR. Also, when Regis and Kelly do the travel trivia thingie, often the wheel lands on a location not far from the caller's home. Regis gets a good laugh out of it trashing Gelman. ;-)

Tim :-)

PeterMarshallFan

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 03:16:14 PM »
I remember a Bergeron HS where a Hawaiian won a trip-----to Hawaii.

Kevin Prather

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 03:17:02 PM »
what do they do when it happens? do they just give them the value in cash?

Timsterino

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 03:59:21 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 03:17 PM\'] what do they do when it happens? do they just give them the value in cash? [/quote]
 No. Usually the contestant will just have to turn the trip down (unless they feel like vacationing at home). There are no substitutions. The taxes on trips can be very steep because most of the time the trips are WAY overpriced.

Tim :-)

tvrandywest

TPiR / PYL question...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 04:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 02:17 PM\']what do they do when it happens? do they just give them the value in cash?[/quote]
Hell no!!

Most, if not all, of the items in a trip package (airfare, hotel, meals, ground transportation, etc.) are not paid for in cash by the production company/network. These items are usually (at least in part) given to the show in exchange for the on-air exposure. As a general rule, the more you hear about the details of the trip the less cash is changing hands between the producers and prize brokers. As such, the contestant is not going to see any cash.

Contestants' only choices are to accept or forfeit a prize. Period. Once the show is over they don't start a backstage version of \"Let's Make A Deal\"!

Occasionally, under some circumstances, an especially cooperative and generous prize broker may offer to substitute a cheaper trip that is in his inventory (i.e. already awarded but not awarded / forfeited from another show or episode) OR educate and accommodate the contestant with juxtaposing the flight segments. Then LA to Hawaii and return to LA can become Hawaii to LA and return to the contestant's home in Hawaii!!! But forget moving the hotel 3,000 miles   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com