Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's been confirmed...  (Read 3404 times)

MyCapableAssistant

It's been confirmed...
« on: August 15, 2003, 11:41:18 AM »
The town of Hamilton, in Ohio, DID name Ray's
old street after him; it's now called: RAY COMBS AVENUE!!

combsisthebest

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 02:56:28 PM »
Very cool, I'll have to visit that someday.

Ian Wallis

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 03:49:25 PM »
Along the same lines, is that town in New Mexico still called \"Truth or Consequences\"?  I had read that they were thinking of changing it back to Hot Springs, since TOC has been out of production for so long.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kniwt

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 05:08:23 PM »
Truth or Consequences (or \"TorC,\" as the locals call it), N.M., is still very much Truth or Consequences.

I paid the town a visit last month, took a few pictures of the (mostly uninteresting) Ralph Edwards Park, but did happen across one very interesting thing:

Early in the morning, I took a stroll through what's left of their downtown.  I passed the offices of the annual Ralph Edwards Fiesta, one of the town's big events. Scribbled on a whiteboard inside the office, I saw this:

\"2004 THEME: GAME SHOWS GALORE\"

Make of that what you will.

joelvanderveen

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 08:17:15 PM »
How about \"Price Is Right Island\"? Anyone made the trek to see that one?

Grant78898

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 09:48:21 PM »
In Ashland, Kentucky (Chuck Woolery's hometown) theres a street named after Chuck Woolery. I think it's called Chuck Woolery Blvd.

Matt Ottinger

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 11:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'joelvanderveen\' date=\'Aug 17 2003, 12:17 AM\'] How about \"Price Is Right Island\"? Anyone made the trek to see that one? [/quote]
I'm not even sure it's habitable, much less a tourist destination.  It's one of more than 1800 islands in a fifty mile stretch of the St. Lawrence Seaway (the \"Thousand Islands\"), and certainly not one of the primary ones.  Does anyone even know how you could tell which one it's supposed to be?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 11:34:29 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2003, 12:06:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Grant78898\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 08:48 PM\'] In Ashland, Kentucky (Chuck Woolery's hometown) theres a street named after Chuck Woolery. I think it's called Chuck Woolery Blvd. [/quote]
 Since the Combs and Woolery ones aren't all THAT far from here (Ashland's only a couple hours from there, and Hamilton (OH) is only about 2 or 3 more than that....

I may have to try and see those sometime....

Grant78898

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2003, 12:19:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 11:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Grant78898\' date=\'Aug 16 2003, 08:48 PM\'] In Ashland, Kentucky (Chuck Woolery's hometown) theres a street named after Chuck Woolery. I think it's called Chuck Woolery Blvd. [/quote]
Since the Combs and Woolery ones aren't all THAT far from here (Ashland's only a couple hours from there, and Hamilton (OH) is only about 2 or 3 more than that....

I may have to try and see those sometime.... [/quote]
 I'm going to try to stop by Chuck Woolery BLVD next time I go to Ashland, if I find out where it is. I go to Ashland all the time, it's only about 20 miles away from here, but I always forget to check about that...

dmota104

It's been confirmed...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 08:34:46 AM »
Truth or Consequences (or \"TorC,\" as the locals call it), N.M., is still very much Truth or Consequences.

The AP had a story on TorC and how the current generation of citizens never heard of the game show.   Reportedly, those citizens are wanting the local government officials to revert back to the town's original name of Hot Springs.

(Hmm... Chuck Woolery Blvd. in Ashland... Ray Combs Ave. in Hamilton... I oughta twist a few arms in Hattiesburg to get a street renamed in honor of Wesley Eure, host of \"Finders Keepers\" and guest on P+, CR, et al, during his stint on DOOL.)