Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tivo Blockbusters description  (Read 4770 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Tivo Blockbusters description
« on: August 27, 2005, 05:38:50 PM »
So just now I notice my Tivo grabbed Blockbusters, and I went to delete it (because I have way more stuff to watch on there than I need to), and I did a double take.

Why? Because someone (and I don't know if this was on the GSN end or on the part of whatever service provides Tivo with their guide information) FINALLY fixed the description from the wildly inaccurate "Players battle it out to answer questions on this student quiz game" (or whatever it said...I don't think that was exact, but you get the gist), to a more reasonable (and accurate) "Question and answer game where players race to connect boxes from one side of the game board to the other".

So, much props to whoever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 06:23:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 04:38 PM\']Because someone (and I don't know if this was on the GSN end or on the part of whatever service provides Tivo with their guide information) FINALLY fixed the description from the wildly inaccurate "Players battle it out to answer questions on this student quiz game" (or whatever it said...I don't think that was exact, but you get the gist), to a more reasonable (and accurate) "Question and answer game where players race to connect boxes from one side of the game board to the other".
[snapback]95241[/snapback]
[/quote]

Your quoting of the first description sounds about right.

And I don't know if anybody will care, but apparently Time Warner Cable has done the same.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:18:05 PM »
Yes, long before TiVo, most listing services had Blockbusters in their databases as a children's game.  I think we discussed this back on Usenet and decided that for some odd reason, American listing services had picked up a description of the British version, which was typically played by teens.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 07:18:33 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 06:23 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 04:38 PM\']Because someone (and I don't know if this was on the GSN end or on the part of whatever service provides Tivo with their guide information) FINALLY fixed the description from the wildly inaccurate "Players battle it out to answer questions on this student quiz game" (or whatever it said...I don't think that was exact, but you get the gist), to a more reasonable (and accurate) "Question and answer game where players race to connect boxes from one side of the game board to the other".
[snapback]95241[/snapback]
[/quote]
And I don't know if anybody will care, but apparently Time Warner Cable has done the same.
[snapback]95243[/snapback]
[/quote]
IIRC, both Tivo and Time Warner get their listings from Tribune Media Services, so it makes sense that both would show the change at the same time.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 10:52:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 06:18 PM\']Yes, long before TiVo, most listing services had Blockbusters in their databases as a children's game.  I think we discussed this back on Usenet and decided that for some odd reason, American listing services had picked up a description of the British version, which was typically played by teens.
[snapback]95249[/snapback]
[/quote]

Comcast Digital Cable's listing for BB was much like that one. They took their description for Super Password word from word from the first half of the TV Guide listing from the week SP debuted.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 27 2005, 09:52 PM\']Comcast Digital Cable's listing for BB was much like that one. They took their description for Super Password word from word from the first half of the TV Guide listing from the week SP debuted.
[snapback]95259[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, of course they would--it is TV Guide Interactive, you know.  :)

Gotta do something with those thousands of program descriptions in their files.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 05:18 PM\']Well, of course they would--it is TV Guide Interactive, you know.  :)

Gotta do something with those thousands of program descriptions in their files.
[/quote]
'Cuz they sure as hell don't print 'em in the magazine anymore. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe