Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gary Burghoff on MG  (Read 7237 times)

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Gary Burghoff on MG
« on: August 14, 2003, 06:52:40 PM »
Does anyone think he is annoying as much as I do??  It's like he always has to have the spotlight... you know??

Discuss.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Kevin Prather

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 06:58:22 PM »
i respectfully disagree.

BrandonFG

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 07:03:30 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 05:52 PM\'] Does anyone think he is annoying as much as I do??  It's like he always has to have the spotlight... you know??

Discuss. [/quote]
 At times...it seems like he's trying too hard to be \"one of the guys,\" instead of being himself. I guess when you're filling in for someone like Charles Nelson Reilly, it's to be understood. But sometimes, he does get a little annoying, like last week when he ran over to hug Gene during the intro...or whenever he gives Gene a standing ovation. :-) As a panelist, he's OK, but just doesn't have that chemistry that Chuck and Brett had.

BTW, when CNR returned in summer '75, was there any special fanfare given for him?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

melman1

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 09:10:17 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 04:03 PM\'] BTW, when CNR returned in summer '75, was there any special fanfare given for him? [/quote]
 We'll find out, won't we.

Gary pushed way too hard for some reason.  Like a kid with too much sugar in him at times.  It seemed like Gene was always telling him to be quiet.  And the daily \"let's chase Gene around\" bit got old in a hurry.

Did he sign a contract to occupy CNR's seat for the entire time he was away?  I don't understand why they let him return week after week after week...
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

whewfan

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 11:17:09 PM »
As I recall, they did make some big deal about CNR's return.

As for Gary on MG, I think Gary was just taking full advantage of having an opportunity to be himself.
M.A.S.H. underwent a transition in '75 when Mc.Lean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers both left.  Gary supposedly considered leaving M.A.S.H, and eventually left in '79. Gary Burghoff was the only actor to appear in both the movie and TV series M.A.S.H.  Gary would make occasional appearances on MG after leaving M.A.S.H.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 12:09:17 AM »
At times...it seems like he's trying too hard to be \"one of the guys,\" instead of being himself.

That's the best way I can think to describe it, too.  

There are a few times where Gene acts like he's ready to choke him.  He seems to get very frustrated when Gary starts going on and on and on before revealing any of his answers.  Don't get me wrong... I love Gary's work on M*A*S*H... but he just seems, for a lack of a better word, annoying on MG.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

zachhoran

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 08:22:28 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 10:17 PM\'] As I recall, they did make some big deal about CNR's return.

As for Gary on MG, I think Gary was just taking full advantage of having an opportunity to be himself.
M.A.S.H. underwent a transition in '75 when Mc.Lean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers both left.  Gary supposedly considered leaving M.A.S.H, and eventually left in '79. Gary Burghoff was the only actor to appear in both the movie and TV series M.A.S.H.  Gary would make occasional appearances on MG after leaving M.A.S.H. [/quote]
 McLean Stevenson made some MG appearances after leaving MASH(and became a regular after Hello Larry finally bit the dust). Gene called McLean \"the man resposnible for more failed TV show than anyone in history\", or something to that effect.

GS Warehouse

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 09:39:42 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 07:22 AM\'] ... Gene called McLean "the man resposnible for more failed TV show than anyone in history", or something to that effect. [/quote]
 I thought that was Ted McGinley.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2003, 11:21:05 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 06:39 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 15 2003, 07:22 AM\'] ... Gene called McLean "the man resposnible for more failed TV show than anyone in history", or something to that effect. [/quote]
I thought that was Ted McGinley. [/quote]
 Remember that (I think) McGinley hadn't had his Love Boat or (obviously) Married With Children runs at that time, so his title of King Of Shark-Jumping hadn't been cemented quite yet.

For that matter, is there a show that created more Password Plus guests than \"Hello Larry?\" :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 05:24:39 PM »
As I recall, they did make some big deal about CNR's return.

Indeed...Burghoff, who was sitting in the 1st seat, held up a card that said \"Charles is Back\" or something to that effect, and CNR himself was lowered on to the set from some lift on the ceiling. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

bclark71

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 07:09:02 PM »
\"I thought...Ted McGinley [was] \"the man resposnible for more failed TV shows than anyone in history.\" 

\"Remember that (I think) McGinley hadn't had his Love Boat or (obviously) Married With Children runs at that time, so his title of King Of Shark-Jumping hadn't been cemented quite yet.\"

Also, Ted McGinley comes along halfway through a show's run and sinks it.  McLean Stevenson was there to sink sitcom after sitcom from Day One.

melman1

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 07:43:44 PM »
If I can change the topic just a little... has GSN aired the complete run of MG/MG PM/MG Syndie?  More than once?

Many classics seem to come and go... often when a show returns to the schedule they start over at the beginning.  I've only had GSN for about a year...
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

zachhoran

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 08:00:52 PM »
I\"m fairly sure they've aired all the nine years of episodes of MG73-82(not counting the episodes where celebs didn't clear their appearances or those lost shows) at least once or twice in their nine years.

They've aired all Dawson FF shows save for nine months of ABC 1982 episodes.

Ian Wallis

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2003, 03:46:24 PM »
Many classics seem to come and go... often when a show returns to the schedule they start over at the beginning. I've only had GSN for about a year...

Yes, that's what's annoying to some people.  While shows like \"Password Plus\" have been on and off the schedule several times, they've never aired the last year - with the exception of the episode where Jack Narz hosts half of it.  

I'd be willing to bet that next time it re-appears on the schedule, they'll start at the beginning again.  They should start from the beginning of the last year.

For shows like \"Match Game\", they've run through just about every episode more than once.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Gary Burghoff on MG
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2003, 07:53:08 PM »
They also aired an episode from the last year of P+ last August(during their Breakfast with the Stars vertivision blocks) with Betty White and Regis Philbin, and I think they've aired the finale before.