Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: what is your favorite set for family feud  (Read 14725 times)

Neumms

what is your favorite set for family feud
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Aug 30 2005, 06:28 PM\']The FEUD emblem (to me) served three purposes: #1. to fill a void between the two opposing families, #2. to serve as a marker for the host and contestant, and #3. to serve as a centerpiece for the (or any) FEUD set.
[snapback]95476[/snapback]
[/quote]

1. It's not a void, it's the floor.
2. Match Game seemed to do all right with adhesive tape.
3. The centerpiece is the board.

I'm sorry, I think it's tacky as hell. Another thing about the set is replacing the wood trim with red plastic. What's the deal with that?

TonicBH

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 02:06:45 AM »
I like the 1988-92 set. While I disagree with the opinions of who like the Dawson set, Combs' set seems more "game show-ey". But I must agree the Dawson set gives the old "country" flare which was the general premise.

I never saw a 1994 episode so I can't comment on that one (although, from pictures I've seen, it looks incredibly bare), and the less said about the current era sets, the better.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

musicman

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 07:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Aug 31 2005, 01:06 AM\']I like the 1988-92 set. While I disagree with the opinions of who like the Dawson set, Combs' set seems more "game show-ey".
[snapback]95503[/snapback]
[/quote]

You just hit the nail on the head! :)  The Combs' set looked like what it was SUPPOSED to look like at that time: A Game Show, an '80s Game Show.

pocketchange2006

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 11:42:44 PM »
Gotta love the Combs set. The last Karn set they had right before the changes this season was decent.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:54:01 PM by pocketchange2006 »

AH3RD

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 07:48:34 AM »
I'd say a toss-up between the 1976-85 Dawson and 1988-94 Combs Feud sets.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:50:05 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Jay Temple

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 11:50:33 AM »
If we're only taking "intact" sets, I'll go with the Dawson set.  If we're making a Franken-set, I'll take anything real over anything virtual.  The only things I'd choose over the Dawson set would be Combs' carpet and maybe the Fast Money display from Karn.  (Is it real or virtual?)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 08:50 AM\']and maybe the Fast Money display from Karn.  (Is it real or virtual?)
[snapback]106084[/snapback]
[/quote]
I shall give you a chance to qualify this question before ridiculing you, because I'm hoping what you meant to ask isn't as silly as the actual question sounds...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 01:03:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 11:50 AM\']If we're only taking "intact" sets, I'll go with the Dawson set.  If we're making a Franken-set, I'll take anything real over anything virtual.  The only things I'd choose over the Dawson set would be Combs' carpet and maybe the Fast Money display from Karn.  (Is it real or virtual?)
[snapback]106084[/snapback]
[/quote]

Karn is real, unfortunately.

bclark71

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 01:20:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 29 2005, 07:41 PM\']

So, Dawson man here.
[snapback]95403[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll second (or third or whatever) that.  Da original.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »
Maybe it clashed with the intent of the original set, but the Combs set said game show to me.  It looks better on camera in my opinion...adds a little wake up call to me.  A close second, and I may get heat for this, the current Karn set.  It's a party atmosphere...why not have a party set.  Looks a little 100 Mexicanos Dijieron esque in terms of design.  If only they had a party host who didn't make the ladies throw their panties on stage by merely tripling points on "Triple Meat Day".

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 05:56:33 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 04:32 PM\']Maybe it clashed with the intent of the original set, but the Combs set said game show to me.  It looks better on camera in my opinion...adds a little wake up call to me.  A close second, and I may get heat for this, the current Karn set.  It's a party atmosphere...why not have a party set. 
[snapback]106098[/snapback]
[/quote]
LOVED the Combs set.  It was a game show; it should look like one.  That Dawson brown and yellow was hokey.  I also liked the 1994 set a little bit, but it just seemed so bare.

The current Karn set makes gives me epilepsy.  I liked the previous one much more.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 02:56 PM\']LOVED the Combs set.  It was a game show; it should look like one.  That Dawson brown and yellow was hokey.  I also liked the 1994 set a little bit, but it just seemed so bare.
[snapback]106100[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't get "hokey". I KINDA get "it should look like a game show", even though I REALLY don't agree with it, especially with a game show like this. But what the hell was "hokey" about the Dawson set?

(At least, what wasn't supposed to BE hokey...)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 07:48:56 PM by clemon79 »

ChuckNet

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 06:27:49 PM »
The Combs-era set was my fave, as well...while the current set's an improvement over the past ones they've had, it's a little too much for my taste.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 09:55:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 06:06 PM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 02:56 PM\']LOVED the Combs set.  It was a game show; it should look like one.  That Dawson brown and yellow was hokey.  I also liked the 1994 set a little bit, but it just seemed so bare.
[snapback]106100[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't get "hokey". I KINDA get "it should look like a game show", even though I REALLY don't agree with it, especially with a game show like this. But what the hell was "hokey" about the Dawson set?

(At least, what wasn't supposed to BE hokey...)
[snapback]106101[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think I understand what people are saying, and I understand that Goodson intended Feud to be a Hatfield-McCoy's showdown, hence the sampler font.

That being said, making your set look like a Whitman's chocolate box (the doors on the family backdrops) seems a bit cheesy IMO. I just don't think the yellow and brown went well with the other colors, esp. the blue carpet and big blue board.

Combs' blue was a little easier on the eyes, as was the red plastic frames, instead of the wood borders from Dawson's era.

As for Karn's Feud, the current set is a little too busy. Lose those tiles under the board, and we'll talk.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:56:11 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 10:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 28 2005, 06:55 PM\']That being said, making your set look like a Whitman's chocolate box (the doors on the family backdrops) seems a bit cheesy IMO. I just don't think the yellow and brown went well with the other colors, esp. the blue carpet and big blue board.
[/quote]
Fair enough. Don't agree, I mean REALLY don't agree, but you're entitled to an opinion.