Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Feud renewed?  (Read 6750 times)

BrandonFG

Feud renewed?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 10:24:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 09:18 PM\']Randy West and a gentleman who has since become a household name worked on the other FAM original.
[snapback]95030[/snapback]
[/quote]

What did Pat O'Brien host?! ;-)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 10:25:55 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ilb4ever2000

Feud renewed?
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 01:32:26 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 09:24 PM\']What did Pat O'Brien host?! ;-)
[snapback]95032[/snapback]
[/quote]

"Who Wants to Get a Hooker and Have a Threesome With Me, Pat O'Brien"?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:33:05 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Feud renewed?
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 01:39:03 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 09:02 PM\']True, but if Deal or No Deal takes off, it could hopefully lead to other new prime-time shows...just as long as the genre doesn't crash and burn within six months like it did in 2000. :-P
[snapback]95027[/snapback]
[/quote]

Deal or No Deal on NBC.  Hope it does.

However, I can never forgive what NBC and Renegade did to Monty Hall's crown jewel..."Let's Make a Deal".
-Sanford

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Feud renewed?
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 02:35:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 05:04 PM\']It's just my disdain that this incarnation of Feud, with its seemingly low productionvalues has made it along so far.  [/quote]  Low production values?  They have a set with flashing lights, two team desks, and the face-off desk.  The computer screen isn't the big horking game board from 1976, but I don't see how that makes the production values 'lower'.  I think it's just complaining to complain.

I personally think the show is horrible
It's the Feud, for crying out loud.  We've seen it done before for YEARS.  Did you not watch when Richard D. or Ray were the host?  You still have the same core game that was there 30 years ago.  I don't find it offensive.  I'd like to know if you have a legitimate beef about the game.

but obviously the ratings disagree with me.
The ratings aren't all that good, but enough for the show to stay profitable, is all.  I have no idea if it has to do with other game shows being on the air at the same time, or if that's just ex rectum talk, but the show is here, and it beats the hell out of what could be there.  Enjoy it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:37:39 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

uncamark

Feud renewed?
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »
The main problem I have about this incarnation of "Feud" is that the hosts were and are inferior to the previous hosts.  Maybe it wouldn't be noticed as much if Dawson and Combs weren't on GSN every day, but it can't be denied that Anderson wasn't very good and that Karn is simply not in the same league as Dawson or even Combs.

Obviously "Feud"'s consistent numbers prove that the format is still strong and sturdy, but it leads one to think of what they would be with a host in the same league as Dawson or Combs as an ad libber and a reactor.  That's their main problem--even more than the cued audience screaming to "DOUBLE THE POINTS!"

Just to throw out a name:  Elayne Boosler.  She has the comedy background that Dawson and Combs had, has game show experience as host and panelist and has the ability to be likable even when shooting a put-down.  Nothing's going to change now, but she'd fit the show better than Karn.

$100kPyramidfan

Feud renewed?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 12:36:35 PM »
I think Karn is doing pretty good on Feud... much better than Louie Anderson. I don't hate him or anything, but he just looked so tired when he did it.
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Feud renewed?
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 06:04:03 PM »
Since the topic seems to be "Feud in general"...

Since they seem to be worried about forcing Richard Karn to stretch should a team win after the third question (to the point where they'll use a board with 60 available points in the double round if necessary), as well they should, what if they used some surveys with more than eight answers?

I know, it would require a change in the display software and they wouldn't do it, but what if they at least put ten available spaces on the board? Have the first two questions range from seven to ten answers. That way, more time is taken up by gameplay. If a team wins after the third question, Richard doesn't have to stretch as much. If they need to play the triple round to determine a winner, Richard could hurry through it rather than summarizing the situation at every possible third strike/board completion.

I'm just wishing.

--
Scott Robinson

ChuckNet

Feud renewed?
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 06:50:30 PM »
And it just hit me that MTV had "Singled Out". I know two of FAM's shows were "Masters of the Maze" and "Family Challenge" but what was the other one?

Maximum Drive.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Robert Hutchinson

Feud renewed?
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 07:14:50 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 05:04 PM\']Since they seem to be worried about forcing Richard Karn to stretch should a team win after the third question (to the point where they'll use a board with 60 available points in the double round if necessary), as well they should, what if they used some surveys with more than eight answers?[/quote]

That would mean more of Karn revealing the unguessed responses. Brrr. "And let's see number sssseight! I mean ten!"

I will admit it--I watch the current Family Feud. But I do so in spite of Karn and the Drunk Cam and the Electrified Audience Seats of Point-Doubling.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Thad Dixon

Feud renewed?
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 06:50 PM\']
And it just hit me that MTV had "Singled Out". I know two of FAM's shows were "Masters of the Maze" and "Family Challenge" but what was the other one?

Maximum Drive.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]95102[/snapback]
[/quote]

Chuck, I hate to burst your bubble on this, but IIRC, "Maximum Drive" actually aired the season before that, and it was "Wild Animal Games" that FAM had along with MotM and FC in Fall 1995.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Feud renewed?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 10:00:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 04:14 PM\']But I do so in spite of Karn and the Drunk Cam and the Electrified Audience Seats of Point-Doubling.
[/quote]
Out of mild curiosity, I Tivoed an episode this morning. The whole "DOUBLE THE POINTS!!!!1111!!!ELEVEN" thing is a nice cliche joke for us, but it's blown WAY out of proportion...from the way people make it sound here, Karn fairly screams it, and the crowd pops like Stone Cold Steve Austin just walked onto the set, and neither was the case in actual practice.

I thought Karn was perfectly competent, too. Certainly I've seen worse, certainly I've seen more wooden, and certainly I've seen more annoying. He's being villified that he's not Dawson or Combs.

So, yeah, nice cliche joke, but cliche jokes are only really funny when there's some degree of truth to them.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

Feud renewed?
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 09:00 PM\']So, yeah, nice cliche joke, but cliche jokes are only really funny when there's some degree of truth to them.
[snapback]95125[/snapback]
[/quote]
All I know is that I don't watch Feud all the time.  But I know that there have been some times when I've, he screamed DOUBLE THE POINTS!!!!!lol!!!own3d!!! He may not do it all the time, but it catches me off guard when he does.

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Feud renewed?
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 12:33:37 AM »
I thought the objection was not that the points are doubled, but that RK tries to make you believe that he is responsible for the points being doubled.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Feud renewed?
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 12:39:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 09:33 PM\']I thought the objection was not that the points are doubled, but that RK tries to make you believe that he is responsible for the points being doubled.
[/quote]
I think the objection is that he does so loudly and with great vigor, and then the audience pops like they were all handed $5,000 checks.

The "being responsible" thing is hardly new in the game-show biz...how many times have we heard a host say "I'll give you $100 for each correct answer...", when you know the cash ain't comin' out of HIS paycheck, unless the host's name is Ben Stein...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Feud renewed?
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 04:32:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 11:39 PM\']The "being responsible" thing is hardly new in the game-show biz...how many times have we heard a host say "I'll give you $100 for each correct answer...", when you know the cash ain't comin' out of HIS paycheck, unless the host's name is Ben Stein...
[snapback]95137[/snapback]
[/quote]

Any number of hosts do it, and it always bugs me. I think it's a sign of an egomaniac. Donny Osmond always said "I'll give you" rather than "you'll win" or "we'll give you." It's especially dumb for prizes--yeah, Donny got a great deal on some camcorders and he's going to run out to the car and grab one for you.

I suppose it's technically accurate if the host is the producer, a la Barker or Monty, or if the host actually hands over money, like Woolery on Scrabble and Greed (even if it's play money).