Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Games  (Read 9096 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home Games
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:30 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 01:06 PM\']I'll second the "never produced" vote for Chain Reaction. Someone get me Kevin McNulty. This would be GREAT for Endless to produce.
[/quote]
Gawd no. I don't want Endless ANYWHERE NEAR that. I can buy a $4 whiteboard at Staples and acheive the same thing Endless would.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Home Games
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 04:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 03:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 02:13 PM\']Being thanked (in just about the smallest font size I've seen on an instruction sheet) and getting on their freebie mailing list was a nice little reward, but it's not like it was my idea for them to do WML? or anything.
[snapback]94533[/snapback]
[/quote]
In looking at that page, I note that the copyright is held by Grundy. Hmmm.....
[snapback]94538[/snapback]
[/quote]

What is now Fremantle acquired Grundy and it seems that for a while, all of the copyrights for the game shows Fremantle owns were under Grundy's name, probably for tax purposes in some country or another (it seems to me that the company they listed was Dutch).

The Ol' Guy

Home Games
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
Okay..modesty be damned! My favorite home game is my home version of Chain Reaction. It follows me to most all parties and get-togethers, and people who have never seen the tv program really wind up enjoying the game. I used the wipe-off board concept - though I agree with Mr. Lemon's assessment that MB's Family Feud or Tyco's "Babble On" plastic pull tab idea is a good one, too. It's a bit of a hybrid, tho..to accomodate individual players instead of teams of 3, the main game is Cullen version, and the end game is the "first letter of the word" chain version - guess all 7 words by asking for no more than 10 letters. I hate to say I'd settle for an Endless version, but somebody ought to do it..even if they never mention it's association to the tv game. A line on the cover could say, "From the creator of TV's The $25,000 Pyramid".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:20:48 PM by The Ol' Guy »

davemackey

Home Games
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 05:07:31 PM »
It was almost a ritual for the Mackey Bros. to have virtually any TV game show adaptation that came out from the mid-70's to about 1981 or 1982. However, we did miss a couple. We never had the Dealer's Choice home game, for example. But we did have quite a few that got lots of play as kids.

We went through several versions of Concentration, Password, The $10,000 Pyramid, we had Blockbusters (which was a little hard to find until I saw a dusty copy one day in the Branch Brook in Hazlet and picked it up), Price Is Right, PDQ, Joker's Wild, High Rollers (Big Numbers), Jackpot, Eye Guess, Say When!, we even had an old Name That Tune with the record!

We even drew our own puzzles for Concentration (proving to be no competition for Bernie Schmittke in the process) and made up newer, more contemporary phrases for PDQ during its resurrection era as Baffle.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:08:04 PM by davemackey »

Neumms

Home Games
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 01:43 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 08:18 AM\']Easily, "$ale of the Century" is the best home game ever. They adapted the TV format so well,
[/quote]
That said, the game is horribly broken.

Yes, yes, it's very neat that the game has a nice little lockout system that you can use in other games.
[snapback]94513[/snapback]
[/quote]

The one annoying thing about that lock-out was the delay between pushing a button and finding out who was first--all the lights flashed for a few seconds. It may have been the technology of the time, although the instructions claimed it was to build tension. Still, I agree it was fun.

Password, #1. Pyramid, #2. Concentration, #3 (too easy to lose the prize cards, unless that was a function of youth).

Jeremy Nelson

Home Games
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 07:01:01 PM »
Classic Concentration was a keeper for me only because of the outstanding box art. But the game itself lacked important aspects. For example, there were no color rebuses in this version, when the UK version did. They also forgot some type of bous round (although I drew the car cards and backgrounds without haste).

It took Jeopardy 35 years to finally get the number of categories right, and then they messed it up again with the "new" Pressman edition last year.

Wheel Deluxe Edition was the only one that I really enjoyed, although i liked that the Parker brothers version used prizes.

On the electronic end, however, I would have liked to see what Sierra could have done after their $100K Pyramid release. Match Game seemed like it would have worked.

TPIR 98. Worst Game Ever.

You guys make me want Chain Reaction that much more (Knowing Endless, Blake Emmons would be on the cover with a chain pertaining to him on the back. )
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Adam Nedeff

Home Games
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 08:26:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 06:49 AM\']Of all the home games that have been released, which is your favorite?
[snapback]94460[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wheel of Fortune Deluxe Editions. I begged Mommy and Daddy to get it for me when I was five, and when a little thing called Ebay came along years later, it was one of the first things I bought. An actual by-God WHEEL instead of a spinner--that was just too cool.

Runner-up is "Eye Guess," the only box game I have that my non-Game Show-fanatic family actually like enough to play with me.

And, of all games, which ones probably shouldn't have been released?

Match Game 70s editions...Collectable as they are, they seem to lack any type of redeeming function. If it was me, I would have just released a book of questions, some cards, and plackards in a box and called it a Match Game Party Kit or something like that.

And, of all game shows that did not have a home game released, which shows do you think should have?

That's tough to say because generally speaking, those home games weren't released for a REASON. Some games of the past would have been hard to do just because somehow they were too complex for box game form, although modern technology would have been a friend to some of them (A DVD version of "Hit Man" or "Child's Play" would have been interesting). Some, of course, just didn't have enough fans to justify it--I'm sure if there had been a "Hot Potato" home game, Matt and I would be the only ones to buy a copy, and Matt would only do it for the sake of completion.

If I have to answer (which, truthfully, I don't) I'd say "The Big Showdown" just because the multiple sets of special dice would have been pretty cool.

(Observation that didn't really fit anywhere else in this post--a Namco Plug-N-Play TV Game is a surprisingly effective Starcade home game.)

The Pyramids

Home Games
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »
Anyone enjoy any version of 'Hollwyood Sqaures'? I've played my Hasbro one from '98 or '99 w/ others and it was pretty dull.

The Ol' Guy

Home Games
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 10:28:04 PM »
Honestly, any version of Hollywood Squares would be dull because there are no dazzling (?) stars with funny lines. Just opinions, but the Watkins Strathmore versions weren't bad for starters - the Ideal version was marred by bad question material, MB version 1 in the red box has to be the cheapest game ever made (even Password's sparse material was all good), the blue box version 2 was better, and the Parker version at least gives you some clever bluff material. It's pretty decent. One game I didn't mention earlier that was well-designed was the old Transogram Tic Tac Dough game of the 50s, with the automatic category changer and the "question box".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:42:04 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Craig Karlberg

Home Games
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 05:38:37 AM »
As far as favoritte home games go, I'll go with Deluxe WOF because it had all the trappings of the real show(except prizes).  In spite of a few missing pegs, the wheel was nice & loose.  Even the wedge stickers looked cool.  My honorable mention:  $ale from 1986.  Gotta love that quizzard.  Well-designed fornat wise.  Too bad there was no "real" Fane Game board but the cards were OK.

Worst game?  Gotta be the Davidson HS edition.  The hardest part was trying to keep those magnetic-like stickers on the board once you put them there.  It was also tough to keep the X's & O's seperate since they're magnetic, they tend to stick to each other.

Game show home game that could've been?  Hmm.  I was thinking the Magnificant Marble Machine.  Sure that thing on TV was huge but at least it would've been nice to come up with a model version on 1/10 scale size.  That would've worked for me.

BrandonFG

Home Games
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 08:57:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 04:38 AM\']Worst game?  Gotta be the Davidson HS edition.  The hardest part was trying to keep those magnetic-like stickers on the board once you put them there.  It was also tough to keep the X's & O's seperate since they're magnetic, they tend to stick to each other.
[snapback]94611[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure those were stickers, not magnets. I can't remember the name, but they were clingy-type stickers, not adhesive.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

Home Games
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 11:02:35 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 07:57 AM\'][quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 04:38 AM\']Worst game?  Gotta be the Davidson HS edition.  The hardest part was trying to keep those magnetic-like stickers on the board once you put them there.  It was also tough to keep the X's & O's seperate since they're magnetic, they tend to stick to each other.
[snapback]94611[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure those were stickers, not magnets. I can't remember the name, but they were clingy-type stickers, not adhesive.
[snapback]94618[/snapback]
[/quote]
Colorforms

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home Games
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 06:11:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 08:02 AM\']Colorforms
[/quote]
That's the brand name, yeah, but generically they are known as static-cling stickers.

(Sorry, I went Zach for a moment.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Home Games
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 06:27:22 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the brits put a lot more effort in their home games? (e.g. blockbusters, play your cards right, and concentration)
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

alfonzos

Home Games
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 06:37:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 03:18 PM\']Didn't work - Eye Guess, if only because you had to somehow get the eight lids off the openings at once to make it look like the show :)
[snapback]94535[/snapback]
[/quote]

Use the box lid to cover the gameboard.  Remove the lids covering the answers. Remove the box lid for the time allowed. Cover the gameboard again. Replace the lids. Remove the box lid. Play the game.

By the way, I used an eight-sided die to determine where the 'Stop' card goes in the bonus round.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos